none
Flash in WPF?

Question

• I would like to know if there are any method to host flash files directly in a WPF client-based browser application?
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 9:26 AM

Answers

• You'd need to check the licensing for the control -- but there is an ActiveX control for Flash that is used within IE for showing Flash content. You could use VS to create a WinForm wrapper, then use the WindowsFormHost WPF element to show that control.

Or you could host the WebBrowser and use a web page that shows the Flash control.

Again, the license for Flash may not permit these uses.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I have a WPF application that plays Flash - but using a windows form to do it. This is done using the activeX control from Shockwave. This was done by choosing "Add Reference" ; choose "COM" page and navigate down the list to the Shockwave Flash control and selecting the Shockwave Flash player object. Be careful; there seem to be two versions floating around. You want the "ShockwaveFlashClass" one.

The way to identify the right one is that it has the key method:

LoadMovie(int, string);

This method can be seen through the object browser (View-ObjectBrowser) If you do not see that method - you have the wrong guy. Once the right one is loaded, there will be a Shockwave ActiveX control in your Toolbox (View->Toolbox). That can be dragged to a Windows Form (WPF) and will result in the following being added to the Form1.Designer.cs:

private AxShockwaveFlashObjects.AxShockwaveFlash axShockwaveFlash1;

Now the flash can be played by adding a public method to the form code-behind:

public void PlayFlash(string path)

{

if (File.Exists(path))

{

// Play the file

axShockwaveFlash1.LoadMovie(0, path);

axShockwaveFlash1.Play();

}

}

I hope that helps.

I tried, but could never get it to work with a <Window> or any other WPF container. It seems that only a WinForm pumps the right ActiveX messages to the control to make it work.  If you can mak it work in something other than a WinForm, please enlighten me!

-Matt

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:36 PM
  • I haven't tried this yet, but will be doing so in the very near future.

I would try putting it into a user control. Here is an example of how to do this with the pdf control and should be easy to translate to any activex control.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mhendersblog/archive/2005/09/23/473065.aspx

The example code is from earlier releases and will not compile, so change the line
                 host.children.Add(mycontrol)
    to:
                 host.Child = mycontrol;

You have to write your own "wrapper" methods in your user control.

Let us know how it works out!
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:04 PM

All replies

• You'd need to check the licensing for the control -- but there is an ActiveX control for Flash that is used within IE for showing Flash content. You could use VS to create a WinForm wrapper, then use the WindowsFormHost WPF element to show that control.

Or you could host the WebBrowser and use a web page that shows the Flash control.

Again, the license for Flash may not permit these uses.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 5:27 PM
  • I have a WPF application that plays Flash - but using a windows form to do it. This is done using the activeX control from Shockwave. This was done by choosing "Add Reference" ; choose "COM" page and navigate down the list to the Shockwave Flash control and selecting the Shockwave Flash player object. Be careful; there seem to be two versions floating around. You want the "ShockwaveFlashClass" one.

The way to identify the right one is that it has the key method:

LoadMovie(int, string);

This method can be seen through the object browser (View-ObjectBrowser) If you do not see that method - you have the wrong guy. Once the right one is loaded, there will be a Shockwave ActiveX control in your Toolbox (View->Toolbox). That can be dragged to a Windows Form (WPF) and will result in the following being added to the Form1.Designer.cs:

private AxShockwaveFlashObjects.AxShockwaveFlash axShockwaveFlash1;

Now the flash can be played by adding a public method to the form code-behind:

public void PlayFlash(string path)

{

if (File.Exists(path))

{

// Play the file

axShockwaveFlash1.LoadMovie(0, path);

axShockwaveFlash1.Play();

}

}

I hope that helps.

I tried, but could never get it to work with a <Window> or any other WPF container. It seems that only a WinForm pumps the right ActiveX messages to the control to make it work.  If you can mak it work in something other than a WinForm, please enlighten me!

-Matt

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:36 PM
  • I haven't tried this yet, but will be doing so in the very near future.

I would try putting it into a user control. Here is an example of how to do this with the pdf control and should be easy to translate to any activex control.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mhendersblog/archive/2005/09/23/473065.aspx

The example code is from earlier releases and will not compile, so change the line
                 host.children.Add(mycontrol)
    to:
                 host.Child = mycontrol;

You have to write your own "wrapper" methods in your user control.

Let us know how it works out!
    Friday, July 13, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Hello Matt

I have done exactly as you suggested, but there was no Shockwave ActiveX control added to my toolbox.

Maybe I have the wrong "ShockwaveFlashClass", I am using "Flash9d.ocx", how can I get your version?

Many Thanks!!!

Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:19 AM
  • I have re-edited this with more precise information.

The control was added through add reference -> COM -> Shockwave Flash.

There was also an "Shockwave ActiveX Control" listed - but that is NOT the right one.

The correct control file was:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9d.ocx

I hope this was helpful,

Friday, August 24, 2007 5:55 PM