none
WCF service works in IIS7 gives Parser error in IIS6

Question

• I have been developing on Visual Studio 2008 beta 2 on a Vista machine with IIS 7.  The test wcf service works fine in that environment.

Now I am ready to deploy the service to a company test server running Windows 2003 sp2 with IIS6.  I have installed the .NET 3.5 framework and have two test sites running on the machine a .NET 2.0 ASP.NET app and I have a .NET 3.5 ASP.NET app to validate the installation of the various .NET versions. (Note IIS was installed before .NET and the .svc file type is in the list.)

Now I have created a secure website and have installed the certificate.  I browsed an aspx and an htm page using the secure connection to the site.  Next I coppied the entire WCF service from the Vista machine to the server.  I try to browse the site as I would in IIS 7 I get the following error:

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Reference.svcmap: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: site

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: /App_WebReferences/svcBankService/    Line: 1

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1378; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1378

This service implements connections to our local databases and it connects to some internal secondary web services for other database operations on servers remotely located.

I am stumped, how do I get IIS 6 to work???

Larry

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

Can you confirm that all the required files & resources were copied into the /App_WebReferences/svcBankService subdirectory for the virtual directory on the IIS 6 machine?  From the error message it looks like there's a reference in the .svc file to a file called Reference.svcmap that is missing.

Thanks,

Richie Weldon

SDET, Microsoft

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

Can you confirm that all the required files & resources were copied into the /App_WebReferences/svcBankService subdirectory for the virtual directory on the IIS 6 machine?  From the error message it looks like there's a reference in the .svc file to a file called Reference.svcmap that is missing.

Thanks,

Richie Weldon

SDET, Microsoft

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Hello,

I do have exactly the same problem. I have copied all the files from Visual studio, and I can confirm the same file is in App_WebReferences on both folders (on my local pc and on the IIS-server).

/ Daniel
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:48 AM
  • Has this really been resolved?
    I am experiencing the same problem with an application developed on a Vista/IIS7 machine and deployed to a Windows2003/IIS6 machine.
    There was no problem until I added the reference to a wcf/svc service, but now I am experiencing the exact same problem as above.

I would greatly appreciate a solution!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:35 PM
  • Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:55 AM
  • I'm having the same issue, but I'm developing remotely straight off a 32bit Windows 2003 Server running IIS 6.0. As soon as I use Visual Studio 2008 to add a Service Reference, the web site throws the error:

Reference.svcmap: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: site

If a set up the same code on 64bit Windows 2003 Server locally (also running IIS 6.0), I get the same error

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:00 AM
  • Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    I do have the same problem , too
    Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:40 AM
  • I am encountering this same error with the RTM version of Visual Studio 2008.  If I remove the App_WebReferences directory and create the endpoint, binding and channel in code it works, however this involves copying over your interface classes along with any custom classes they are using as parameters or return values so it's not a very good workaround.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:27 PM