none
WPF "Dead"? (according to a contractor)

Question

• My company was recently getting bids for a major code conversion project from outside companies.   We indicated we wanted the target UI to be implemented using WPF.    One of the bidders said they didn't think WPF had a future ("WPF is dead" were their exact words. )  

Also, according to this blog the free version of VS2012 does not support WPF.  (N.B., I don't care about/use free VS, I just see it as a sign of MSFT's intentions)

Is WPF dead?   I'm talking industrial strength desktop PC apps in science, engineering and manufacturing, not web apps.     By "dead" I mean no longer getting enhancements and bug fixes and no longer supported by the most recent development tools.

Supposedly HTML5 is the new UI front-end but the development pathway for writing HTML5 apps in .Net doesn't seem very mature yet. 

If we need our app to be up and running as soon as possible (i.e., we must use existing tools to develop it)  but we expect to still be enhancing and supporting it for at least 10 years,  should we go WPF or HTML5?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:51 PM

Answers

• Lots of things have happened since then, including Microsoft's promoting HTML5 as the UI/UX platform for Windows 8.

Is Microsoft still developing and Enhancing WPF?  

Yes.

First - a couple of things here:

• HTML5 is not the "primary" UI/UX platform for Windows 8.  It's one of many options, and is now a "first class citizen", but C# and Xaml is just as "promoted".  HTML 5 for Windows 8 store apps is just the "new and shiny" option.  If anything, they've kind of made C++/Cx the "best" option here, as they've added a lot of options for C++ devs for targeting this with a lot of extra control.
      • WPF is still very actively developed, and still, in many ways, the best option for Desktop development.  It isn't used for Windows Store apps (though you still can, and probably want to, use C# or VB.Net with Xaml there, but the syntax and namespaces are slightly different) -but for desktop work, it's still on top.
      • WPF is getting new improvements with every framework revision, including many improvements in .NET 4.5: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613588.aspx

I wouldn't ever suggest WPF is "dead" at this point - it's really the work horse of Microsoft's dev stack if you're writing desktop applications -there's a reason Visual Studio has moved over to WPF for nearly all of it's interfaces, for example.  Nothing else provides the control + flexibility on the desktop.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by In32 Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:43 PM

All replies

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wpf/thread/7edc8165-e1a6-4451-ac9c-f112d1d17957 - "Is WPF dead or going to be"

Probably best to read and join that thread.

And the answer to your actual question is no.

WPF is certainly not dead or dying.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:53 PM
  • I agree with Pete - WPF is certainly not dead.

As to the "free tools" issue - Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop has been released, and fully supports WPF.  See: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2012/09/12/visual-studio-express-2012-for-windows-desktop-is-here.aspx  

The initial VS 2012 release was just Windows Store apps, but the version supporting WPF is now released and out.

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Monday, September 17, 2012 9:19 PM
  • BTW: Don't hire that contractor.
    Monday, September 17, 2012 9:49 PM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wpf/thread/7edc8165-e1a6-4451-ac9c-f112d1d17957 - "Is WPF dead or going to be"

Probably best to read and join that thread.

I did go to that thread but it was from 2 years ago.     Lots of things have happened since then, including Microsoft's promoting HTML5 as the UI/UX platform for Windows 8.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Lots of things have happened since then, including Microsoft's promoting HTML5 as the UI/UX platform for Windows 8.

Yes.

First - a couple of things here:

• HTML5 is not the "primary" UI/UX platform for Windows 8.  It's one of many options, and is now a "first class citizen", but C# and Xaml is just as "promoted".  HTML 5 for Windows 8 store apps is just the "new and shiny" option.  If anything, they've kind of made C++/Cx the "best" option here, as they've added a lot of options for C++ devs for targeting this with a lot of extra control.
      • WPF is still very actively developed, and still, in many ways, the best option for Desktop development.  It isn't used for Windows Store apps (though you still can, and probably want to, use C# or VB.Net with Xaml there, but the syntax and namespaces are slightly different) -but for desktop work, it's still on top.
      • WPF is getting new improvements with every framework revision, including many improvements in .NET 4.5: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613588.aspx

I wouldn't ever suggest WPF is "dead" at this point - it's really the work horse of Microsoft's dev stack if you're writing desktop applications -there's a reason Visual Studio has moved over to WPF for nearly all of it's interfaces, for example.  Nothing else provides the control + flexibility on the desktop.

• Marked as answer by In32 Wednesday, September 19, 2012 11:51 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Can you please ask the contractor about right option for desktop application development?

WPF is the best option available for desktop application development. I haven't seen any winRT based Business Application and winRT is COM based.

If you are building application for non x86 windows 8 tablet then WPF is not a right option. WPF app will work on X86 tablets only. Metro UI doesn't support WPF. 

HTML5/MVC is the best option for non x86 tablet and WEB. Single app that works on all platforms.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:09 PM

• If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Where?   The only links I have below each comment are "Reply", Quote" and "Report as Abuse".   I looked in both Firefox and I.E. and even did a "Find on this page" search using "Mark as" as the search string.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:53 PM
  • You can post in these forums as a discussion or a question.

You posted or subsequently changed it to a discussion. Change the topic type from discussion to question, from an option somewhere on the page, then you will get the "mark as answer" option.

You can mark as many as you like as answer, and also be generous with the helpful votes, as everyone who replied are of course trying to be helpful ;)

Best regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:01 PM
  • My guess is they aren't skilled in WPF.  My company uses WPF for very complex engineering applications.  If you continue having trouble finding a contractor contact me, we would be happy to write your company a WPF app.  

• Edited by KP_SES Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:56 PM

• If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Where?   The only links I have below each comment are "Reply", Quote" and "Report as Abuse".   I looked in both Firefox and I.E. and even did a "Find on this page" search using "Mark as" as the search string.

An administrator changed the type of this question.  I just changed it back for you.  Feel free to mark answers as you desire.  I apologize for the confusion.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:12 PM
  • I agree completely with KP_SES. That contractor probably didn't like the additional complexity WPF brings to the table, decided to stick with whatever he/she is comfortable with, and now justifies their decision to themselves and others by claiming there's something wrong with WPF. For complex industrial strength desktop scientific/engineering applications WPF excels.

What sort of an application is your company considering it for?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Here's some discussion about desktop framework choice for managed code from architects perspective. If you look around in the forum you would see most applications discussed there are using practices and patterns that minimize the cost of migrating the UI from one framework to another. 

Visual C++ MVP

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:36 PM