none
Install Error: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64)

Question

• I had a previous installation of MS SQL Server 2008 Express already installed on my Windows 2008 R2 system prior to attempting to install the GA version of LightSwitch 2011 released earlier today (no pre-release version of LightSwitch installed). The first time I got the error message [Setup could not install the following component: "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 2 (x64)"] I uninstalled all versions of "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 ..." listed under 'Programs and Features' on the system and then tried to reinstall LightSwitch 2011.

I got the same error (see log below).  What do I need to do to install LightSwitch 2011?

LightSwitch 2011 Install Log:

[07/26/11,13:19:35] Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64): [2] Error code -2068119551 for this component is not recognized.
    [07/26/11,13:19:35] Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64): [2] Component Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64) returned an unexpected value.
    [07/26/11,13:19:38] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64) is not installed.
    [07/26/11,13:19:38] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates TFS Object Model (x64) was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:19:39] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:19:39] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 Deployment Prerequisites (x64) was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:19:39] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 - ENU was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:45:36] Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64): [2] Error code -2068119551 for this component is not recognized.
    [07/26/11,13:45:37] Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64): [2] Component Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64) returned an unexpected value.
    [07/26/11,13:45:47] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64) is not installed.
    [07/26/11,13:45:49] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates TFS Object Model (x64) was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:45:50] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Silverlight 4 SDK was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:45:50] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 Deployment Prerequisites (x64) was not attempted to be installed.
    [07/26/11,13:45:51] SimpleUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 - ENU was not attempted to be installed.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Colby

Looks like the readme is not very clear that VS 2010 is not a requirement. Only that if you do have vs2010 installed that you must also have the VS2010 Sp1 installed.
    So to your install issue (sorry, not sure what level of experience you have or others following this thread have here so...) :

Sounds like you are having issues trying to get a SQL instance running with the name "SQLEXPRESS" before running the LightSwitch install. I believe you should find under the windows start menu: "Start -> All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 ->Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Installation Center (64-bit)". Please launch this tool. Once this tool is open, you should see on the left panel "Installation" - click this option. The top link that will show up in the right panel is "New installation or add features...". Click this link (You may need to browse to the sql setup sources at this point but not sure for your case). Start pushing through the sql setup wizard. When you get to the wizard page called "Instance Configuration" (this is where default instance was selected which gives you the instance name you currently have), be sure to select "Named Instance" and in the text box enter "SQLEXPRESS". Continue with wizard until you get to the "Server Configuration" page- Here make sure you enter "NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" for the "Account Name" for both services that need to be filled in. Now continue to “Database Engine Configuration” and in the “Specify SQL Server Administrator”please select “Add Current User”. I think at this point you can continue pushing through the SQL setup wizard and install. Hopefully now you can install Lightswitch and it should by-pass the SQL part.

NOTE– below is the actual commandline that we use to install SQLEXPRESS. You can notice that settings we are specifying here. If you have access to the SQLExpress 2008 R2 exe files you could run this I believe and it would establish the same thing for you automatically. Be sure to run this from an elevated commandline.

<your source path>\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCStartupType=Automatic /AddCurrentUserAsSqlAdmin /ENABLERANU=1 /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck /hideconsole /TIMESTAMP="VSExpress_10.0"

-Thanks
    Robert Schoen

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Well, after fixing the permission problem on the registry keys below the \Uninstall\ key I was able to get a little further. Then I tried renaming the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\ folder and re-running the VS 2010 installation from the original media. After that I tried to do a modify install of VS 2010 and select the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (x64) component. That failed again but I was unable to find anything in the new ...\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ folder indicating what the problem might be.

I next decided to try installing SSExp2008 using the LATEST download (R2 SP1 from 7/12/2011) but instead of using the default install I ran the command to extract the setup files from SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe (/x:<target_folder>) and then ran the setup.exe from that folder using the same command line used by the VS2010 install (from the earlier post) but without the quiet parameter (/q).

THAT WORKED!

Then I was able to succesfully run the LightSwitch installation and now I'm up and running (finally!). It only took 3 days to get this figured out (in between my other tasks anyways).

Thanks for all the help! The info on the location of the log files put me on the right path.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Robert,

Just some additional feedback on the LightSwitch/Visual Studio 2010 install...as an installation developer myself I know it's sometimes hard to translate specific issues reported by customers into what's wrong with the install so I hope this helps make it a little better.

I don't have any hard evidence to support this (it's just a gut feeling based on my general install experience), but I think part of the issue I had was due to a combination of several factors that may not be accounted for by the VS 2010 setup:

• A custom VS2010 install can be done w/o installing SSEx2008
    • Other installs (even 3rd party non-MS products) can install SSEx2008 w/ their own instance name (elsewhere in this thread Mike Nelson reported that he had SSEx2008 installed with an instance of "MSSQLSERVER" also).
    • My install scenario was: 1) Install VS 2010 Professional w/ MSDN Volume License custom install w/o SSEx2008 (I do NOT know if SSEx2008 was already on the machine or not, but the custom install showed the option was not installed). 2) Apply VS2010 SP1. 3) At some point before installing LightSwitch, another installation (MS or other) installed an unknown version of SSEx2008 w/ instance "MSSQLSERVER". 3) Manually run ISSEx2008 R2 SP1 setup.exe using the command line options used by the VS2010 install (as noted elsewhere in this thread). 4) Install LightSwitch.
    • Also, I noticed AFTER I finally got LightSwitch to install that when I run a maintenance install of VS 2010 and select the option to 'Add or Remove Features' the 'Select Features to Install' page no longer displays an option for SSEx2008 [not sure if that is relavant though].

Basically, all of the above lead me to believe there's some kind of problem w/ the VS2010 not properly detecting all the possible SSEx2008 install scenarios (with the various versions of SSEx2008 itself [10.00.1600.22-10.50.2500.0] and/or the possible combinations of these versions w/ and w/o a "SQLEXPRESS" instance name).  I also think my specific issues with the registry were probably caused by my attempting to remove all the SSEx2008 installs manually and then my attempts to clean up the registry/disk afterwards [i.e., I don't think those were related to the original problem but caused by me afterwards].

Hope this helps!

Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:24 PM

All replies

• Sorry you ran into this issue. Please can you try installing SQL Express separately. Here is the download link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=25052

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:02 PM
  • It looks like the problem is due to the fact that I already have SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Express Edition installed.  I cannot install a separate instance of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition SP1 as the installation for the latter just hangs and I have to kill the process.

The question is: Why the heck would I even need to install SQL Server 2008 Express Edition SP1 when I already have SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Express Edition installed? Why doesn't the later version pass the installation dependency check for LightSwitch 2011?  Please tell me you guys tested this installation with the latest version of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition before unleashing it on the general public!

LightSwitch 2011 gets my vote as the worst installation experience from Microsoft so far (including the fiascos caused by flakey VS 2005 installs).

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Thanks for providing your setup experience.  I am actually surprised that the sqlexpress install hung on you.  It should have completed successfully.

You are correct, there is a pain point regarding needing to install SQLEXPRESS again in your case and this is something we are looking to improve in future releases.

However with our current setups (LightSwitch and all Dev10 Skus), for the VS setup process to detect and "skip" installing sql express because an existing instance is already installed the following needs to occur:

- Must have a SQL instanceName established with the name “SQLEXPRESS” before running VS setups.
    - The SQL version installed must be version 10.0.1600.22 or greater.

In your case, you should meet the Version reqirement. So what is left is ensuring you have this "SQLEXPRESS" instance name running locally.

If you can run through the SQL Admin tools of your currently installed version of SQL and establish this instance name yourself, VS Setups (including Lightswitch) should bypass trying to install sql express.

Note - when VS installs sql express 2008, we install with the following parameters that set up certain permissions/settings.  Please be sure to configure SQLEXPRESS with those similar settings.

"/INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCStartupType=Automatic /AddCurrentUserAsSqlAdmin /ENABLERANU=1"

I will monitor this postng for your feedback.  hopefully you are up and going and enjoying this new product LightSwitch.

thanks!
    Robert Schoen

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:43 AM
  • The installation of SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Express Edition was done using the default instance name ("MSSQLSERVER").  I will try adding a "SQLEXPRESS" instance name when I get back to the office tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Also, if you're tracking issues for improvement...the requirements on the readme just say that you need VS 2010 installed. That's not acutally correct.  We install VS on our systems using the custom install option to select everything BUT "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64)". When I first ran the LightSwitch install it failed on the VS check and I had to re-install/modify VS 2010 to include the "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64)" optional feature. You might want to mention that in your readme.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Hi Colby,

can you be specific about the Readme you are talking about?  Where you did you get the readme?

The Lightswitch Beta2 and now the Final Release of Lightswitch does not have any requirement to have Vs 2010 installed prior to installing.  The only requirement we have is if you do have VS2010 installed already that you first must install recently released service pack for VS 2010  (VS 2010 Sp1).   So I am very interested in what you have just mentioned above...

thanks for your followup on this and I am looking forward to hearing about your attempt tomorrow.

-Robert Schoen

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Colby, are you *sure* that MSSQLSERVER is the default instance name for SQL Express? While I'm not 100% sure, and I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, I thought it had express in the default name somewhere.

MSSQLSERVER is the default instance name for *full* SQL Server though.

Yann

(plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!)

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:22 AM
  • Well, I do NOT have full SQL Server installed and the only instance name found by the discovery tool was MSSQLSERVER.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:27 AM
  • I didn't say that you had full SQL Server installed, I asked "are you *sure* that MSSQLSERVER is the default instance name for SQL Express".

It's entirely possible that whoever installed SQL Express simply used MSSQLSERVER in place of SQLEXPRESS.

If that's the case, that'd be why the LS installer didn't detect what it was looking for.

I was only trying to help solve your mystery.

Yann

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Hi Colby,

where you able to get LightSwitch to install without installing SQL Express again for you? 

Also please see my questions above regarding some of the readme comments made.

- thanks

- Robert Schoen

Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:21 PM
  • No, I cannot get LightSwitch to install because it fails w/ the message in my original post (attempting to install SQL Server 2008 Express x64 SP1).  I have now tried to install SS2008Ex using every one of the downloadable installations from the GA version to the latest R2 SP1 version (2-8-09, 12-11-09, 4-16-10, 9-29-10, 7-12-11).  All of them fail when trying to install the "Database Engine Services" component (sql_engine_core_inst.msi).  I tried to create a verbose MSI log (/l*v logfile.txt) by running that MSI separately to see what exactly is causing the problem, but I can't get past error 29566 ("SQL Server Setup has detected that that no instance ID was passed to the setup. Setup cannot continue pass a valid instance ID to continue the setup.") because I can't figure out how to specify the instance ID on the MSI command line.

I have also tried to install it using the VS 2010 SP1 maintenance install to add the optional install feature for SS2008Ex (I did not originally install it w/ the VS 2010 SP1 installation).

I got the readme from the link listed in the readme.htm on the root of the LightSwitch CD: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=214050.  I was referring to the note to install VS 2010 SP1 before installing Lightswitch. I think it's the fact that I already had VS 2010 SP1 installed but without the optional SQL Server 2008 Express x64 component that caused my problems. Now I'm just tring to figure out how the heck to fix it.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Hi Colby

Looks like the readme is not very clear that VS 2010 is not a requirement. Only that if you do have vs2010 installed that you must also have the VS2010 Sp1 installed.
    So to your install issue (sorry, not sure what level of experience you have or others following this thread have here so...) :

Sounds like you are having issues trying to get a SQL instance running with the name "SQLEXPRESS" before running the LightSwitch install. I believe you should find under the windows start menu: "Start -> All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 ->Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Installation Center (64-bit)". Please launch this tool. Once this tool is open, you should see on the left panel "Installation" - click this option. The top link that will show up in the right panel is "New installation or add features...". Click this link (You may need to browse to the sql setup sources at this point but not sure for your case). Start pushing through the sql setup wizard. When you get to the wizard page called "Instance Configuration" (this is where default instance was selected which gives you the instance name you currently have), be sure to select "Named Instance" and in the text box enter "SQLEXPRESS". Continue with wizard until you get to the "Server Configuration" page- Here make sure you enter "NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" for the "Account Name" for both services that need to be filled in. Now continue to “Database Engine Configuration” and in the “Specify SQL Server Administrator”please select “Add Current User”. I think at this point you can continue pushing through the SQL setup wizard and install. Hopefully now you can install Lightswitch and it should by-pass the SQL part.

NOTE– below is the actual commandline that we use to install SQLEXPRESS. You can notice that settings we are specifying here. If you have access to the SQLExpress 2008 R2 exe files you could run this I believe and it would establish the same thing for you automatically. Be sure to run this from an elevated commandline.

<your source path>\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe /q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCStartupType=Automatic /AddCurrentUserAsSqlAdmin /ENABLERANU=1 /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck /hideconsole /TIMESTAMP="VSExpress_10.0"

-Thanks
    Robert Schoen

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:18 PM
  • First of all, I can tell you my job for the past 15 years has been as an installation developer and I have specialized in creating Windows Installer installations almost exclusively for the past 12 years so I know quite a lot about installations.

I CANNOT EVEN GET TO THE "Instance Configuration" WIARD PAGE AS THE INSTALLATION WON'T GET PAST THE "Feature Selection" WIZARD PAGE.

No matter what method I use to launch the SQL Server Express installation it never gets to the "Instance Configuration" page. The installation always fails UPSTREAM of that wizard page. This is the sequence of events [no matter which method I use to launch the SQL Server Express installation - including via Start-->Programs-->Microsoft SQL Server 2008-->Configuration Tools-->SQL Server Installation Center (64-bit) OR if I run your command line without the "/q" option]:

1) Launch the installation.  This extracts the files to a temporary location (such as e:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b\) and starts the process:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Release\x64\LandingPage.exe".

2) Select "Installation" from the menu on the left.

3) Click on "New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation". Browse to the location of setup.exe (E:\SQLExpr_x64_enu\ in my case).  This runs the command line:

"E:\SQLExpr_x64_enu\setup.exe"  /ACTION=INSTALL /MEDIASOURCE="E:\SQLExpr_x64_enu\""

which runs the command line:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Release\x64\setup100.exe"    /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCStartupType=Automatic /AddCurrentUserAsSqlAdmin /ENABLERANU=1 /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck /hideconsole /TIMESTAMP="VSExpress_10.0"  /WORKFLOW=Install /TIMESTAMP=VSExpress_10.0 /LOGMARKER= /MEDIASOURCE="e:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b\\" /INSTALLMEDIAPATH="e:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b\x64\setup\\"  /MEDIALAYOUT="Core" /ACTION=RUNRULES /RULES=GlobalRules /WORKFLOW=Install /TIMESTAMP=VSExpress_10.0 /LOGMARKER=_GlobalRules /MEDIASOURCE="e:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b\\" /INSTALLMEDIAPATH="e:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b\x64\setup\\"  /MEDIALAYOUT="Core"

Then the "Setup Support Files" wizard page displays: "Operation Completed. Passed: 5. Failed 0. Warning 0. Skipped 1." is displayed.

4) Selecting 'OK' runs "fixsqlregistrykey_x64.exe" and "fixsqlregistrykey_x86.exe" and then brings up the "Setup Support Files" wizard page showing Feature Name "Setup Support Files".

5) Selecting 'Install' runs the installation of the support files and then shows "Operation completed. Passed: 10. Failed 0. Warning 1. Skipped 0" [the 1 warning being the fact that Windows Firewall is enabled.]

6) Selecting 'Next' displays the "Product Key" page with both options greyed out but the option "Sepecify a free editon - Express" selected.

7) Selecting 'Next' displays the "License Terms" page.

8) Checking the 'I accept the license terms' box and selecting 'Next' displays the "Feature Selection" page with the following options shown: Instance Features\Database Engine Services\SQL Server Replication and Shared Features\SQL Client Connectivity SDK.

9) Selecting ONLY the top-level "Database Engine Services" feature and the sub-feature "SQL Server Replication" options and then selecting 'Next' first attempts to install Database Engine Services by running the MSI installation "E:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b\x64\setup\sql_engine_core_inst_msi\sql_engine_core_inst.msi" (where "E:\d4e0e31ae7c947fee171a08e1b" is the temporary folder created when the setup uncompressed itself back in step 1). HOWEVER, I CANNOT FIND THE COMMAND LINE OPTIONS FOR THIS MSIEXEC.EXE EXECUTION (using either Process Explorer or Process Monitor). I can only see the bootstrapper command line that was last used (before the "Setup Support Files" wizard page was ever displayed), which is:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Release\x64\setup100.exe"    /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLSVCStartupType=Automatic /AddCurrentUserAsSqlAdmin /ENABLERANU=1 /SKIPRULES=RebootRequiredCheck /hideconsole /TIMESTAMP="VSExpress_10.0"  /WORKFLOW=Install /TIMESTAMP=VSExpress_10.0 /LOGMARKER= /MEDIASOURCE="e:\430bc18e4113b72119087370\\" /INSTALLMEDIAPATH="e:\430bc18e4113b72119087370\x64\setup\\"  /MEDIALAYOUT="Core" /ACTION=Install /WORKFLOW=Install /TIMESTAMP=VSExpress_10.0 /LOGMARKER= /MEDIASOURCE="e:\430bc18e4113b72119087370\\" /INSTALLMEDIAPATH="e:\430bc18e4113b72119087370\x64\setup\\"  /MEDIALAYOUT="Core" /CUPIDDISPLAYED="FALSE"

THE ATTEMPT TO INSTALL "Database Engine Services" ALWAYS FAILS WITH THE MESSAGE:

"SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. Error code 0x84BB0001."

So, I never get to ANY of the subsequent wizard pages (which I can see listed before the failure as "Instance Configuration", "Disk Space Requirements", "Error and Usage Reporting", "Installation Rules", "Ready to Install", "Installation Progress", and "Complete").

I need to know how to launch the "Database Engine Services" MSI installation (NOT THE EXE) from the command line so I can create a verbose log and see why the heck it is failing but I can't find the msiexec command line options in Process Explorer or Process Monitor.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Sorry for this issue with SQL.  I am not super knowledgeable with the inner workings of the SQL installation so I am not able to help much there at the moment.  What you are encountering however is not good at all and is very frustrating I am sure.  Is there data in your current SQL installation that is critical?  I am thinking it might be best (if data loss is not a problem here) to go to Add/Remove Programs and to "uninstall" all of your current SQL Server R2 stuff and install it again (but this time with the instance name of SQLEXPRESS)?   

BTW, I'll look to see what other info I can dig up regarding what you hitting above with your current sql install....

-Robert Schoen

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Colby, you might want to review the setup logs that SQL generates and see if you can find a clue regarding what is happening there

I think your logs should be found under:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\.   There wil likely be several folders there that for each attempt you have made to modify your sql installation.  Please review them as best as you can....and hopefully somethign will indicate what the problem is.

I'll keep digging on more info too...

-Robert Schoen

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Tried that too. I uninstalled anything with "SQL Server 2008" listed in 'Programs and Features' and even cleaned up all associated registry entries that I could find.

Then I tried to use the VS 2010 installation to add the previously skipped install feature "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (x64)" and had the same issue.

Checking the log location you specified shows that the details of the error are in the log file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Detail.txt".

From that log file it looks like the problem is with "Running Action: SetPatchInstallStateAction".  Here's the log from that point to the end:

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Running Action: SetPatchInstallStateAction
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine 
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey AddressBook
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value SQLProductFamilyCode
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value ProductId
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey CmdHere
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value SQLProductFamilyCode
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey CmdHereAsAdmin
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey CmdHereAsSystem
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Connection Manager
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey CutePDF Writer Installation
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey DirectDrawEx
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey ElevateCommand
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey ElevateHTA
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey ElevateMSI
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey ElevateWSHScript
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Fontcore
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey HECI
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey http://www.ricoh.co.jp/applications/PrinterSwitc~DB74E6F2_is1
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey IE40
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey IE4Data
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey IE5BAKEX
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey IEData
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey LAN-Fax Utilities
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey MESOL
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Microsoft Security Client
    2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Watson Bucket 1 
     Original Parameter Values 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 0 : SQL2008@RTM@ 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 2 : Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.InternalRegistryKey.OpenSubKey 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 3 : Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException@1211@1 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 4 : System.UnauthorizedAccessException@-2147024891 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 5 : SetPatchInstallStateAction 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 7 : Uninstall@Microsoft Security Client 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 8 : Uninstall@Microsoft Security Client 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: 
     Final Parameter Values 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 0 : SQL2008@RTM@ 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 2 : 0x48BB60BC 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 3 : 0xD3BEBD98@1211@1 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 4 : 0xBB814387 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 5 : SetPatchInstallStateAction 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 7 : 0xCD842029 

2011-07-29 11:17:25 Slp: Parameter 8 : 0xCD842029 

2011-07-29 11:17:28 Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Microsoft SQL Server.reg_
    2011-07-29 11:17:28 Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_Windows_CurrentVersion_Uninstall.reg_
    2011-07-29 11:17:28 Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Registry_SOFTWARE_Microsoft_MSSQLServer.reg_
    2011-07-29 11:17:28 Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Registry_SOFTWARE_Wow6432Node_Microsoft_Microsoft SQL Server.reg_
    2011-07-29 11:17:28 Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Registry_SOFTWARE_Wow6432Node_Microsoft_Windows_CurrentVersion_Uninstall.reg_
    2011-07-29 11:17:28 Slp: Sco: Attempting to write hklm registry key SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSSQLServer to file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\VSExpress_10.0\Registry_SOFTWARE_Wow6432Node_Microsoft_MSSQLServer.reg_
    2011-07-29 11:17:41 Slp: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp: Watson bucket for exception based failure has been created
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp: Error: Action "SetPatchInstallStateAction" threw an exception during execution.
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.InternalRegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String subkey, RegistryAccess requestedAccess)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.InternalRegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String subkey, RegistryAccess requestedAccess)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.ArpRegKey.CleanupPatchedProductRegistryInfo()
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetPatchInstallStateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionEngine.RunActionQueue()
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp: Error: Action "ExecuteInstallCalculateWorkflow" threw an exception during execution.
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.ArpRegKey.CleanupPatchedProductRegistryInfo()
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetPatchInstallStateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:42 Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Received request to add the following file to Watson reporting: C:\TEMP\tmp3A75.tmp
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Inner exceptions are being indented
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:   Message: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:   Data: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:    WatsonData = Uninstall@Microsoft Security Client
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:    DisableRetry = true
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:    DisableWatson = true
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:   Stack: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.InternalRegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String subkey, RegistryAccess requestedAccess)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.ArpRegKey.CleanupPatchedProductRegistryInfo()
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetPatchInstallStateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:   Inner exception type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     Message: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:         Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:     Stack: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp:         at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.InternalRegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String subkey, RegistryAccess requestedAccess)
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey 
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey Software\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting\DW\Installed
    2011-07-29 11:17:44 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value DW0201
    2011-07-29 11:17:45 Slp: Submitted 1 of 1 failures to the Watson data repository
    2011-07-29 11:17:59 Slp: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:59 Slp: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2011-07-29 11:17:59 Slp: 
    2011-07-29 11:17:59 Slp: Error result: -2068119551
    2011-07-29 11:17:59 Slp: Result facility code: 1211
    2011-07-29 11:17:59 Slp: Result error code: 1

Friday, July 29, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Hi Colby

This issue looks similar to the one in the thread below where access has not been granted to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/dbd4196e-6d03-43a7-a069-2c671e0ab992/

It could be worth following the advice in the final message which suggests granting permissions on the registry and using an adminstrator account.

Tim

Friday, July 29, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I also have a default install of SQL Express 2008 and it is named "MSSQLSERVER". I am 99% confident I didn't type that in when I installed it a year ago.
    Mike Nelson
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:49 PM
  • Yeah, already figured that part out. All I had to do to get past THAT error was reset the permission on the \Uninstall\ key so all the child object inherited the permissions.  That got me a little further down the line. Thanks anyway!
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 2:57 AM
  • Well, after fixing the permission problem on the registry keys below the \Uninstall\ key I was able to get a little further. Then I tried renaming the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\ folder and re-running the VS 2010 installation from the original media. After that I tried to do a modify install of VS 2010 and select the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition (x64) component. That failed again but I was unable to find anything in the new ...\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\ folder indicating what the problem might be.

I next decided to try installing SSExp2008 using the LATEST download (R2 SP1 from 7/12/2011) but instead of using the default install I ran the command to extract the setup files from SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe (/x:<target_folder>) and then ran the setup.exe from that folder using the same command line used by the VS2010 install (from the earlier post) but without the quiet parameter (/q).

THAT WORKED!

Then I was able to succesfully run the LightSwitch installation and now I'm up and running (finally!). It only took 3 days to get this figured out (in between my other tasks anyways).

Thanks for all the help! The info on the location of the log files put me on the right path.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:08 AM
  • OK, thanks for that. I didn't say I was right, lol, I just asked the question, just in case.

Yann

Saturday, July 30, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Robert,

Just some additional feedback on the LightSwitch/Visual Studio 2010 install...as an installation developer myself I know it's sometimes hard to translate specific issues reported by customers into what's wrong with the install so I hope this helps make it a little better.

I don't have any hard evidence to support this (it's just a gut feeling based on my general install experience), but I think part of the issue I had was due to a combination of several factors that may not be accounted for by the VS 2010 setup:

• A custom VS2010 install can be done w/o installing SSEx2008
    • Other installs (even 3rd party non-MS products) can install SSEx2008 w/ their own instance name (elsewhere in this thread Mike Nelson reported that he had SSEx2008 installed with an instance of "MSSQLSERVER" also).
    • My install scenario was: 1) Install VS 2010 Professional w/ MSDN Volume License custom install w/o SSEx2008 (I do NOT know if SSEx2008 was already on the machine or not, but the custom install showed the option was not installed). 2) Apply VS2010 SP1. 3) At some point before installing LightSwitch, another installation (MS or other) installed an unknown version of SSEx2008 w/ instance "MSSQLSERVER". 3) Manually run ISSEx2008 R2 SP1 setup.exe using the command line options used by the VS2010 install (as noted elsewhere in this thread). 4) Install LightSwitch.
    • Also, I noticed AFTER I finally got LightSwitch to install that when I run a maintenance install of VS 2010 and select the option to 'Add or Remove Features' the 'Select Features to Install' page no longer displays an option for SSEx2008 [not sure if that is relavant though].

Basically, all of the above lead me to believe there's some kind of problem w/ the VS2010 not properly detecting all the possible SSEx2008 install scenarios (with the various versions of SSEx2008 itself [10.00.1600.22-10.50.2500.0] and/or the possible combinations of these versions w/ and w/o a "SQLEXPRESS" instance name).  I also think my specific issues with the registry were probably caused by my attempting to remove all the SSEx2008 installs manually and then my attempts to clean up the registry/disk afterwards [i.e., I don't think those were related to the original problem but caused by me afterwards].

Hope this helps!

Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:24 PM
  • A custom VS2010 install can be done w/o installing SSEx2008

I would just like to add on that I fell foul of this as well. When I installed VS2010, I specifically unchecked the option to install SSE as I have the full version of SS, and did not see any reason to install the express version as well. This was some time before LS came out, and I had no diea that I would need SSE at some point in the future.

When I tried to install LS, it failed to spot that I didn't have SSE installed, and attempted to apply SP1, which failed, causing the entire LS installation to fail. This is a very basic bug in the LS install procedure.

Basically, all of the above lead me to believe there's some kind of problem w/ the VS2010 not properly detecting all the possible SSEx2008 install scenarios

Major problem I would say! I'd like to add my vote for this to be a priority bug fix for what is an otherwise excellent product.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/
    Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:22 AM
  • LS is *supposed* to install SQL Express for you if it's not already installed. It does sound like the installer is maybe inadvertently checking for *any* SQL instance, not just SQL Express, & assuming SQL Express is in fact installed when it's not.

It's pretty important, because as you've noticed, things will not work if you don't have an instance of SQL Express installed on your development machine. I wonder if either of you already had something in the "SQL Server Instance Name" in the "Database Options" in VS? It could be that the LightSwitch setup program is checking that particular setting to determine if SQL Express is installed.

The setup program populates the setting with "SQLEXPRESS" (if it succeeds in installing an instance of Express), which you would need to change (or enter if it's blank for some reason) if you're wanting to use your own SQL Express instance that you already had installed. Note though, it MUST be a SQL Express instance, not a full version instance.

I can see cases where this might not fit in well for a developer who has something different in there due to other requirements. For non-developers (ie the "target audience"), this wouldn't be a problem, so the scenario may not have been considered by whoever created the LightSwitch setup program.

Yann

Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:44 AM
  • Great folks, thanks for all the follow-ups (Colby - very happy you stuck it out and got Lightswitch going!!!!). All your comments and feedback here is very important and I really appreciate it. As you can imagine, there are lots of parameters and info that go into how these individual install components work and operate. And as Yann alluded to above, the "one size fits all" setup may not please everyone especially those that are more familiar developer environment and want to have more control over exactly what they have installed.

Historically - With Visual Studio 2010 (and previous VS releases) and Lightswitch, when SQLExpress is installed, we will attempt to install it with the instance name SQLEXPRESS.  By having this instance name “consistent” with our VS product line installs, it gives us what we think is a larger audience that will have a functioning VS product immediately after installation is complete.  As part of this sql configuration, we also set the default instance name value in the VS options that are available in the menu (Tools|Options|Database Tools|Database Connections).  Again this all in done in an effort to have VS just work out of the box…

Now to LightSwitch specific, one of the main reason we do not have the option to “NOT” install SQL Express is due to the fact that LightSwitch is fully dependent on having that product installed and available (this is different than the normal VS skus as there is a lot of stuff you can do that does not require a local SQL instance).   

Moving forward for our next release, getting all this feedback from you folks is really helpful and it adds a lot of weight into the discussions!!!!  So please continue to post your issues and concerns!!!!

(side note – when installing SQL, there is a “radial button” option that allows you to “name an instance name” or to use the “default instance name”.  When you select the “default instance name), you will end up with the value  “MSSQLSERVER”.  So this would not have been something you would have typed in during setup…  You can see my step by step sql wizard runthrough above in a previous posting that talks about this setting)

Thanks again for all postings!

Robert Schoen

Monday, August 01, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Hi all,

I hate to have to continue this thread but ... uh-oh - what do I do?

I just got the .iso file ( VSLS2011_ENU,iso ) but I have SQLServer2008 R2 SP1

installed with the following discovery report:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Setup Discovery Report

Product Instance Instance ID Feature Language Edition Version Clustered
    Sql Server 2008 SQLEXPRESS MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS Database Engine Services 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No
    Sql Server 2008 SQLEXPRESS MSSQL10_50.SQLEXPRESS SQL Server Replication 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No
    Sql Server 2008 Management Tools - Basic 1033 Express Edition 10.51.2500.0 No

The instance name, service names and all that are just fine, but it is R2 SP1.  Is that gonna cause a problem

for the LS install ?

Help and Regards,

Rob

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:07 AM
  • Hi All Again,

I got too impatient and installed :)

Just to clarify I have:

• Win7 Ultimate SP1 x64
    • Visual Studio 2010 SP1
    • SQLServer2008 R2 SP1

The .iso installed succesfully and for me installed 7 components / products.

SQLServer2008 was not one of them, so the setup correctly detected above.

There was a problem though when I started the Vision Clinic walkthrough, a dialog popped up immediately saying that Silverlight was not installed and gave me a link to go get it.  Looking briefly through the logs, there was a problem installing Silverlight, which was one of the 7 components above. It failed silently.

Here's why, I believe:

I had just installed Silverlight a few days ago:

Silverlight.exe File Version: 4.0.60531.0

The iso contained:

Silverlight_Developer.exe File Version: 4.0.60310.0

Both exes where Product Version: 5.50031.0

The File Version I had was more recent but just not the developer ? Same Product Version though.

As I said the installation successfully completed, but LightSwitch didn't like it.  In any case, I just uninstalled my version and installed the version from the iso and all is good :)

Regards and here's hoping this is a nice product,

Rob

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Well, I've learned something. I had never used SQL Express before LS, only full SQL, so I didn't know that the default instance name was MSSQLSERVER. I thought that was only used as a default instance name by full SQL.

Just to clarify a point that's been brought up by two of the people having problems installing LS RTM. When I installed VS 2010, I didn't include SQLEXPRESS, because I already had a full version on my dev machine, & I didn't want Express as well.

Now, I don't know if a problem was introduced with the RTM installer, but B2 installed fine for me, without having previously having VS install Express at the time it was installed. Of course SQLEXPRESS was already installed (by B2) when it came time to install RTM, so I guess that's why I haven't personally had the SQL installation problem, like Colby & Mr Yossu have had.

Just wanted to add this bit of info to what you've collected so far.

Yann

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:00 AM
  • It's pretty important, because as you've noticed, things will not work if you don't have an instance of SQL Express installed on your development machine. I wonder if either of you already had something in the "SQL Server Instance Name" in the "Database Options" in VS? It could be that the LightSwitch setup program is checking that particular setting to determine if SQL Express is installed.

When I installed VS, I unchecked the option to install SSE. I then installed the full SS, and took the default instance name, which is MSSQLSERVER. VS also installed a compact version of SS, but there wasn't an express version installed on the machine before I installed LS.

Just to add to the confusion, I didn't have this problem with B2. That installed fine on a machine with exactly the same specs and installations as the current one. Mind you, the first time I installed LS on my new machine, it went fine. It was only after I uninstalled and tried to reinstall that things went wrong.

Hope this helps the good folks at MS sort this out. It's a shame that the first impressions of Lightswitch can be clouded by a bad installation experience. It really is an excellent product, but the installer needs fixing very urgently.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for all the continued feedback!!!

As mentioned in an earlier thread above, Lightswitch (and all VS skus) will 'skip' any attempt to install SQLExpress if you meet the following two conditions:

1. Must have a SQL instanceName established with the name “SQLEXPRESS” before running any VS setup
    2. The SQL version installed must be version 10.0.1600.22 or greater.

So Rob, what you experienced was expected in regards to the SQL Express installation with the ISO or with the web installation.

Rob, to the ISO install and the Silverlight comments.  What you experienced is totally expected (from the ISO) and I am really excited to hear about this experience you encountered.  The ISO image is a "static" version of our Lightswitch setup sources including a static (and now older version) of the Silverlight Developer bits (at the time of creating the ISO, the Silverlight Developer bits were the latest available).  The short explanation is this:  Silverlight continues to ship updated versions.  Lightswitch is totally dependent on Silverlight Developer bits.  The now "older"  static version of Silverlight Developer bits in our ISO will "NOT" install on top of newer Silverlight runtime only bits so from the customers perspective it can appear that we did not successfully install everything we needed.  Our fall-back mechanism (due to the limitation that we can not install "older" Silverlight Developer on top of Newer Silverlight Runtime bits) is that when the user creates or opens a Lightswitch project for the first time (Or any time these get our of sync), they should see a dialog that states something like "a Silverlight Developer installation was not detected" and this same dialog should also provide a link to where customers can get this updated Silverlight Developer bits on line...  The hope was our Customers would follow this dialog's link and get the latest Silverlight Developer bits and then be up and going quickly.   What Rob did here works also which was uninstall there current Silverlight runtime bits and then install the "older" Silverlight Developer bits from the ISO.  However I recommend going out and getting the updated (more recent) Silverlight Developer bits when you can....  NOTE - if you installed using the "Web Installer" for Lightswitch, you would not have encountered this "Silverlight Developer is not installed" scenario because our web installer links to the most recent Silverlight Developer bits and installs them.

Regarding the different behaviors between the Beta2 and RTM setup and the SQL Express comments. The Beta2 and RTM setups are essentially identical in regards to how it handles SQLExpress so I can not explain the differences seen here ( I suspect the machine config actually changed ?).  Yes, there is work to be done here and I really do appreciate all the feedback as it will go a long way to help improve this for the next release. 

- Robert Schoen

• Proposed as answer by RAWSoft Owner Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:23 PM