none
Controls in VB 2008 Toolbox Greyed Out

General discussion

• I have been trying to add an SQLDataAdapter control onto a webform in Visual Basic 2008 professional and Express editions.  This control and others remain greyed out even when selected; they can only be seen when 'Show All' is selected in the toolbox.  Is it that these controls are not available in the type of form? 

I've checked various forums but have not seen a clear answer.  I've tried some of the solutions proposed but none has worked. I've also reinstalled the application; then uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, but to no avail.

• Changed type Martin Xie - MSFT Wednesday, September 02, 2009 2:52 AM Redirect to ASP.NET forums for better support.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• what do you mean by "show all"? is this by clicking "All Windows Forms " and they display, but if you click "Common Controls " or other, they do not?
    if so, do remember, you were not the one coding the program, vb.net, so probably, bugs are there for reasons..
    p.s. keep it confidential, as i will keep the definition for "there for a reason".
    trujade.
    i like: VB General  google  fast cars  username password
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:39 PM
  • I was designing a web form for accessing an SQL database.  I looked for controls (like SQLDataAdapter) in the toolbox and it wasn't listed. So I right-clicked the toolbox and selected 'Choose Toolbox Items', and checked the controls I wanted included in the toolbox, but these did not appear.  So I right-clicked the toolbox again and selected 'Show All'.  This time the controls appeared, but were greyed out and unselectable.  The controls appear in the tab that was open/active, which was 'Data' tab in this case.  I see the same issue in VB 2008 and VB 2008 Express.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:56 AM
  • It is Greyed out because you have not connected to a datasource.

Connect to the datasource by selecting Data and click 'Add New Datasource' and complete the steps.

IF the connection is  successful  the dataadapter will be added automatically to your project and you can also see it in the toolbox( with the default icon)

Asgar
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:23 AM
  • I configured an SQLDataSource and successfully connected to the database but the SQLDataAdapter is still greyed out in the toolbox.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:36 AM
  • If you have Successfully connected  to the database it should be there in the toolbox.just checkyour toolbox it should be below Dataset1.

Of course you will no see it  by the name SQLDataAdapter, iam not sure but the name should be TableAdapter1 or something similar(just check for adapter) and the Icon besides it is the default icon. 
    Asgar
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:16 PM
  • The SQLDataAdapter or any other adapter was not available.  I then tried with a Windows form, as opposed to the web form I was using, and got the SQLDataAdapter.  Is it that the adapter is not available for web forms?

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:23 AM
  • You'll need to post it at http://forums.asp.net for better responses, where ASP.NET experts live in. Thanks!

ASP.NET Forums » Data Access » Data Access and ObjectDataSource Control

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 2:51 AM
  • Thanks Martin
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 8:05 AM