none
Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies... but which dependencies?

Question

• Hello,

I have an application which uses one managed C++ DLL which then uses several UNmanaged DLLs.
    The problem is, that it seems, that at least one of the UNmanaged DLLs can't be found, when the app is started not on the development machine.
    Because the windows dialog for crashed apps appeared i couldn't get any detailed error messages. but digging in the error report details brought up the following error message:

Could not load file or assembly [MyManagedDLL...] or one of its dependencies

the [MyManagedDLLis located at the same directory as the app itself, which means that at least one of the UNmanaged could not be found. but how can i find out, which unmanaged DLL couldn't be found?

Fuslogvw.exe is no solution in this case. It simpli shows no logs. I assume this is because no .NET assembly failed being loaded.

Thanks!

Friday, July 27, 2007 2:12 PM

All replies

• I suspect that you're missing C++ runtime support. Managed C++ not only needs the NET framework, it also needs the Visual C++ runtime support, the 8.0 CRT etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en 

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:46 PM
  • I downloaded the 8.0 and SP1 version and installed it, but the error is the same (also after reboot).
    Now I have some more detailed information:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'PanoPostproc, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. Diese Anwendung konnte nicht gestartet werden, weil die Anwenungskonfiguration nicht korrekt ist. Zur Problembehebung sollten Sie die Anwendung neu installieren. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

File name: 'PanoPostproc, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): Diese Anwendung konnte nicht gestartet werden, weil die Anwenungskonfiguration nicht korrekt ist. Zur Problembehebung sollten Sie die Anwendung neu installieren. (Exception fro
    m HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
       at Ladybug2Service.Program.Main()

HRESULT 0x800736B1 is always linked to the C Runtime when i search on google. But that doesn't solve the problem.
    Do you have some other ideas?
    Monday, July 30, 2007 10:11 AM
  • please, any solution about it ??? thanks !!!
    http://www.alhambra-eidos.es/web2005/index.html
    Friday, January 09, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Had the same problem, as soon as we installed SP1 on VS2005 we had C++ Assemblies that ran on the dev machine and did not run on the client machine. Seems crazy I know that MS has still not sorted this out in VS2008 we exactly the same woes and pain as experienced in the earlier versions. on an ongoing basis. What we did was build a build machine with VS2005 minus SP1 and hey presto it all works .... (for our previous release)

Apparntly there was something messed up in the installer for SP1, that some how did not deliver some or other dependencies that the C++ lib requires, Micorsoft VC80.CRT and Microsoft VC80.MCF, gets written into C++ manifests as dependencies, and because the dev machine has this installed the solution runs just dandy ... We distribute, the above mentioned files with our solution, but still this does not always work,

Dude on base
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:05 PM