none
Visual Studio 2013 & SQL Server

Question

• Hello,

It's been 3 years since I program in C# mainly using WindowsForms.

I have been studying SQL and now I want to create a Windows forms desktop application that reads my database file.

Before creating such an application I want to create a table, create some queries to run against that table and fill up the table.

My question is: Do I need more than Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate to do this? Do I need to install SQL Server 2012?

I was doing it using only Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate but It's not so easy to create queries or fill the table with values with a designer as it was using SQL Server management studio.

Thank you.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Lusi_Gouveia,

Visual Studio provides a "Server Explorer" for you to edit and control your database. However, if you haven't installed SQL Server, you do not have a SQL Server instance and you may not able to create tables or queries.

So you need to have SQL Server installed. Then you will be able to edit both on Visual Studio and SSMS.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 6:59 AM