none
Visual Studio 2010 throws an error connecting to TFS 2010 Source Control

Question

• We had Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Service Pack 1 installed on the Windows Server 2008. On the same box we have TFS 2010 installed and configured. Everything worked fine in terms of connecting from Visual Studio to TFS version control and running some builds.

Then we were unable to run one build for the SilverLight 4 project. The solution we've found was to install SilverLight tools for Visual Studio 2010. After we installed the tools, we were not able to connect from Visual Studio to TFS Version Control anymore.

The error thrown is "Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Workspace.OwnerNameMatches(System.String)'."

The problem is described in this blog:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/kmoraz/archive/2012/03/08/visual-studio-2010-error-on-source-control-explorer.aspx

We've tried the suggested solution to uninstall SP1, then VS 2010, then install back Visual Studio and SP1. The error is still there.

What is the solution to our problem?

Thanks!
    Lana

• Moved by Bob_BaoMVP, Moderator Wednesday, May 09, 2012 2:06 AM (From:Visual Studio Source Control and SourceSafe)
    Tuesday, May 08, 2012 4:46 PM

Answers

• Lana,

Can you please try applying the following patch on top of SP1 to see if that resolves the issue?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29082

The method "OwnerNameMatches" was added in this patch, which makes me think that maybe you had it applied previously and then it was partially reverted by the Silverlight tools update. (Or I could be completely wrong about this sequence of events. But I would definitely try this update.)

Thanks,
    P. Kelley

• Marked as answer by Lana69 Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:29 PM

All replies

• Hello Lana,

As far as I know that SilverLight tools are compatible with VS2010 SP1. And to deal with your issue, please try to first re-install the VS2010 and then re-install VS2010 SP1 to see if it helps.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hello Vicky,

If you would look into the description of my problem and the steps we took to solve it, you would notice that we already tried to re-install VS 2010 and SP1. In fact, we did it several times. The error is still there and we are not able to use Version Control from within Visual Studio on the server which is supposed to be our production build machine.

Is it possible to open a direct ticket with Microsoft support and have someone to work with us on this issue?

Thanks,

Lana

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Lana,

Can you please try applying the following patch on top of SP1 to see if that resolves the issue?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29082

The method "OwnerNameMatches" was added in this patch, which makes me think that maybe you had it applied previously and then it was partially reverted by the Silverlight tools update. (Or I could be completely wrong about this sequence of events. But I would definitely try this update.)

Thanks,
    P. Kelley

• Marked as answer by Lana69 Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:06 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:29 PM
  • Hello P.Kelly,

Thanks so much for your response - the installation of the patch has solved our issue.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:07 PM
  • tried and did not work .. after 3 days - even my manager is considering to use Eclipse and Java instead!

thanks MS

data warehouse | data migration | ETL/ELT | UK | http://www.brainpowered.net/cms

Friday, June 07, 2013 3:57 PM
  • This has been marked as the answer but it is NOT the answer. I've done this and I can still not connect to TFS from VS2010 from my Windows 7 Pro machine. Everything was fine until SP1 installed on a shutdown. VS2010 Professional.

I still get:

"Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Workspace.OwnerNameMatches(System.String)'."

I have project deadlines to get done and people looking for me to update code and now I'm stuck in this hell with no clear answer.

Now I'm supposed to uninstall VS2010 and reinstall it and then reapply SP1 in the hopes that it won't be totally hosed when I get done?

I'm very frustrated right now.

-- Bob

• Edited by blindabury Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:07 PM More info
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Hi Bob

I was frustrated by this error as well. I have done some gymnastics with uninstalling and re-installing TFS and VS packages without any luck. In the end, I solved the issue by starting VS from the command line, using "devenv.exe MySolution.sln". I could not start "devenv.exe" without opening a solution, but passing the solution as an argument worked. After doing TFS->GetLatest and building in VS, I closed VS and am now able to re-open it normally, without specifying a solution.

The history of install/uninstall for my case is:

• install TFS 2010 build services
    • install ms build extension packs 4.0 and 3.5

VS does not connect to TFS now

• install VS2010 SP1 - TFS2012 compatibility pack (no luck)
    • uninstall VS2010
    • install VS2010  (no luck - the error I get now is "Microsoft VS has encountered a problem and needs to close" when starting VS)
    • uninstall VS2010 SP1
    • uninstall anything in Programs/Features that smells of VS installation
    • install TFS2010 SP1 KB2182621.exe
    • install "Cumulative update package 2 for VS TFS 2010 SP1 - KB2643415.exe"
    • install VS 2010 SP1  (still no luck, still get "Microsoft VS has encountered a problem and needs to close" when starting VS)

At this point I opened "devenv.exe MySolution.sln" from the command line as desribed above and am now able to open VS again.

Wish you luck

/Martin

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Thanks for the additional help Martin. I'll see what I can do.

I have VS2012 now and we'll probably be moving everything to VS2012 anyway.  Or, at this point, 2013? :-)

There are some projects we are not ready to move however.

-- Bob

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:49 PM
  • It woks ,Thankyou !
    Friday, August 16, 2013 10:49 AM