none
Stopping VS2010 Automatic File Association

Question

• Hi all,

I use a basic text editor when ever I want to quickly open a C++ file from our source control system rather than VS2010 simply because it loads faster. However, VS2010 keeps stealing back the file associations when ever it starts. Is there a way to stop it doing so?

Thanks for any forth coming answers.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Boschy,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Is what you want changing the file association?

Please right click the file>>Properties>>Look at the line “Opens with” and click “change”>>Find the application you want to use>>Enable “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”>>OK>>Apply>>OK.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Boschy Friday, November 04, 2011 12:27 AM
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Thanks Alexander. I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back!

The problem is that once I change the association to another application, Visual Studio 2010 steals it back again the next time I start it.

Friday, November 04, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi Boshy,

If you use Windows XP, I recommend you take a look at this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

If you use Windows 7/Windows Vista, you can refer to this page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/problems-with-file-association-in-windows-7-64-bit/8a84fcec-22df-4942-8e35-d98dbe96e327

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, November 07, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Thanks Alexander.

I fully understand how to change the application associated with a file type. I've done that with .cpp and .h file types a dozen times.

The issue I have is that when I do that it all works fine until I start Visual Studio 2010. It remaps the .cpp and .h associations to itself, removing the associations I set. What I am trying to determines is whether it is possible to stop Visual Studio 2010 from overwritting my associations, not how to set a file association in the first place.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:15 AM
  • Hi Nuwud,

Could you please let me know how did you start Visual Studio? Please provide specific steps.

I tried to change .cpp and .h file association to notepad before. Then I start Visual Studio 2010 and close it. The file association of .cpp and .h are still notepad.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hi Alexander,

Sorry to resurect an old thread. I got a bit snowed under and the issue slipped my mind.

I start VS2010 via either the start menu or an icon on the task bar that I created from the start menu item. One thing I have noticed is that VS2010 doesn't always take the file associations immediately. Sometimes I can go several days before it will suddenly take it back. I need to do some more investigation and see if I can find a pattern to it's behaviour.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 11:19 PM