none
View test case result in VSTS

Question

• Hi,

In MTM 2010, if I mark a one or a set of test cases as pass. How do I query in VSTS to see how many test cases have passed or failed. There is no field I can find in where in , I can create a query and put a field like "test result = Pass" and so on. Do we always require to go into MTM and see the results?

A quick help here would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bhaskar

Bhaskar Mishra
    Monday, March 14, 2011 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Bhaskar,

Since the Test Result and Test Run are test related artifacts and not work items, you cannot directly query against them. However, you should be able to get the same data from the warehouse using Excel reports.

Take a look at the "Test Team Progress.xlsx" Excel report - see worksheet "Test Status By Suite".

To get to these out-of-the-box Excel reports, go to Team Explorer, expand the "<Team Project> ->Documents->Excel Reports->Test Management->Test Team Progress"

-Ravi

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Bhaskar,

Unfortunately, you cant view the results in Visual Studio. You can only see them from MTM. You can also create custom reports to view the results, please refer http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/creating-reports-for-tfs-2010-test-results.aspx

Thanks,

Anuj

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:55 PM
  • phew! so How is every one doing the reporting. What if a Analyst or Project Manager or anyone just wanting to see the test case progress as a glance. They would all require MTM installed?

anyways,

thanks Anuj for the reply.

Bhaskar Mishra
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Hi Baskar,

I still have to get into this myself. I think a solution could be to setup a SharePoint server and publish/connect the reports there along with the dashboard.

Unfortunately, reporting is not setup in my playground environment and within production I'm limited :-(

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Hi Bhaskar,

Since the Test Result and Test Run are test related artifacts and not work items, you cannot directly query against them. However, you should be able to get the same data from the warehouse using Excel reports.

Take a look at the "Test Team Progress.xlsx" Excel report - see worksheet "Test Status By Suite".

To get to these out-of-the-box Excel reports, go to Team Explorer, expand the "<Team Project> ->Documents->Excel Reports->Test Management->Test Team Progress"

-Ravi

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:35 AM
  • I understand that but the current reporting system limits on how one would like to see a report for results. VS 2008 gave a way to run custom queries, One may not want test results to be seen by the 2010 criteria.
    I believe the test result stuff needs to relook  by VSTS team. As its not just the tester who have to see the results of test cases, but many others like dev, PM, BA with their own criteria.

Bhaskar Mishra
    Friday, March 25, 2011 9:28 AM
  • I agree with Bhaskar. One year later and we are experiencing the same dilemma with how to effectively communicate test cases results that have been run for Bug work item and Product Backlog work item between our Developer team and QA team. Having an outside report is a poor solution. Microsoft Visual Studio Team please consider address this problem so that test case results are accessible from within a Visual Studio. We need to have a way for someone to assess if a given Bug work item or Product Backlog work item has been completed by viewing the list of test cases and their results along with the list of tasks (right now we use the done status on task work item for that side of a Bug or Product Backlog work item).

• Edited by PNeborg Monday, March 26, 2012 4:14 PM edits
    Monday, March 26, 2012 4:12 PM
  • Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:50 AM
  • To get to these out-of-the-box Excel reports, go to Team Explorer, expand the "<Team Project> ->Documents->Excel Reports->Test Management->Test Team Progress"

Hello!

Where do I find 'Team Explorer' ?

br
    /Linda

Friday, July 11, 2014 7:27 AM