none
Can I use Netbook as my development machine?

Question

• Hi,
        Daily I spend lot of time in travelling.  I am planning to buy a netbook so that I can use it while travelling to my office.  My question is if I install visual studio 2008/10 on my netbook will work properly?  Will netbook be able to execute visual studio and other tools efficiently?
        In short, can I use netbook as my development machine?  Because what I have heard is netbook is nothing but mini laptops and it is mostly used for internet browsing.  But can these mini laptops behave like a development machine?
    Regards,
    Hemant Shelar

Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Hemant,

Thank you for your reply.

For your concern on Visual Studio 2008 performance and Hardware, I found a useful blog that gives many suggestions of hardware recommendation to make Visual Studio perform better. Some useful tips are mentioned on how to speed up Visual Studio.
    Please check: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/11/01/tip-trick-hard-drive-speed-and-visual-studio-performance.aspx

I used to have the similar scenario that you came across. I installed Visual Studio 2008 on one Netbook. It can work well. I think that you can have a try. If there is any concern, please feel free to let me know. I'm willing to help you on that.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Hemant.Shelar Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:20 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:48 AM

All replies

• I've never had a netbook but according to the readme file from the Visual Studio 2008 these are the hardware requirements:

Minimum: 1.6 GHz CPU, 384 MB RAM, 1024x768 display, 5400 RPM hard disk
    Recommended: 2.2 GHz or higher CPU, 1024 MB or more RAM, 1280x1024 display, 7200 RPM or higher hard disk 
    On Windows Vista: 2.4 GHz CPU, 768 MB RAM

I would be afraid of the small screen but maybe you can get used to it.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Saturday, January 09, 2010 4:33 AM Change the style
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Thank you for Miroslav's kindly help.

Hi Hemant,

Thank you for your post.

As Miroslav mentioned, to install Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Studio 2010, we need to meet the requirements including Hardware requirements and OS requirements.

You might refer to the following to link:
    Visual Studio 2008
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D95598D7-AA6E-4F24-82E3-81570C5384CB&displaylang=en#Requirements
    Visual Studio 2010
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dc333ac8-596d-41e3-ba6c-84264e761b81&displaylang=en#Requirements

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Hi YiChun,
        Thanks for your reply.  Netbook(
    Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2 Netbook)  satisfy minimum requirement to install Visual Studio 2008. 

Here is hardware configuration for Lenovo IdeaPad s10-2
    ==============================================================================================
    • Intel Atom N270 @ 1.60GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache (VS2008 recommended - 1.6 GHz CPU) - OK
    • 1GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz  ( VS2008 recommended - 384 MB RAM) - OK
    • 10.1 inch LCD (1024x600 resolution); LED backlight ( VS2008 recommended  - 1024x768 display) - Will it be OK?
    • Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics
    • Intel 945GSE chipset
    • 160 GB WD Scorpio Blue WD1600BEVT (5400RPM) 2.5 inch SATA II hard drive ( VS2008 recommended - 5400 RPM hard disk ) - OK
    ==============================================================================================
    But I don't know how responsive Visual Studio 2008 will be when it is deployed on a system which satisfy minimum requirement(not Recommended).  I will have to think twice before investing in netbook.  Because if every time system takes 2-3 min (it is just a guess) to just build medium size of project then I don't think its good option to install VS2008 on netbook.  Can you share your thoughts on this?
    Regards,
    Hemant Shelar

Saturday, January 09, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Hi Hemant,

Thank you for your reply.

For your concern on Visual Studio 2008 performance and Hardware, I found a useful blog that gives many suggestions of hardware recommendation to make Visual Studio perform better. Some useful tips are mentioned on how to speed up Visual Studio.
    Please check: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/11/01/tip-trick-hard-drive-speed-and-visual-studio-performance.aspx

I used to have the similar scenario that you came across. I installed Visual Studio 2008 on one Netbook. It can work well. I think that you can have a try. If there is any concern, please feel free to let me know. I'm willing to help you on that.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by Hemant.Shelar Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:20 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Thanks a lot YiChun,
    I will try and let you know about this.  Thanks you very much.
    Regards,
    Hemant Shelar

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:19 AM
  • Hi Hemant,

It's my pleasure!

Have a great week.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:27 AM
  • Hi Hemant,

I also have the same thought as you. I would like to know whether you tried vs 2010 in ur netbook.

Srihari S

Hari
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:29 AM
  • Hi there :),

i ordered this laptop ASUS Eee PC 1015PEM with the following specification:

Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Starter

CPU & Chipset: Intel Atom Pineview N550 Dual Core CPU, 1.50GHz

Memory: DDRIII SO-DIMM 1GB DDR

would i be able to install Visual Studio 2010 on it ?

the dual core should work even though that it has 1.50Ghz ?

thank u very much !

Ido

Friday, October 22, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Dear Ido Yana,

I'm having exactly the same question and I guess by now you have installed and tested Visual Studio 2010 on the 1015PEM. How does it run? Are you happy with this setup? Any other remarks?

Thanks,

Gregory

Friday, February 18, 2011 12:53 PM
  • I need an answer too :)

I think it will be a definite YES as the benchmarks show a double performance over N450 :D

waiting for your result
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:25 PM
  • I'm probably a little late to this party, I came across this post via a Google search, but I'll give my feedback in case anyone else stumbles here.

I have an Acer Aspire One 533, which has an Intel Atom N550 1.5Ghz and 1Gb DDR3 RAM.  The netbook comes with Windows 7 Starter, but I've upgraded this to Home Premium.

The netbook is new and has Google chrome installed. For development,  I have Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate installed (complete), along with ReSharper v5.x and nUnit v2.5.10.x.  This is my baseline set-up and toolset. I develop C# ASP.NET MVC applications.

I'll be honest, it is slow. It works, but it is slow.  I really need to upgrade the memory. Just running Chrome uses 80%-90% of available resources. When I start up VS, the memory management does a lot of work.  VS can be unresponsive at times, especially if i need to switch apps or I start up an MVC ASP.NET application that launches the browser.  ReSharper is an overhead, but this is expected. I often tweak settings, depending on the need and my patience :)

I'm going to consider upgrading to 2GB of RAM. I have a 64bit CPU but a 32bit OS. I have no business need for a 64bit platform at this time, so 2GB upgrade will be a quick win on performance.  If this was my main development machine, I'd think differently and go full out.

Also, don't rule out the speed of the HDD, VS uses a lot of disk activity.  Couple that with a local DB, SVN, etc. it'll all add up.  Netbook HDDs aren't the quickest!

Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Incase anyone else is still finding this thread, I had an Acer Aspire One 751 with a 1.33 Ghz (lower than the minimum for visual 2010) with 1GB RAM running windows xp and I installed visual studio 2010 ultimate on it ok, it was a bit slow but I wasnt expecting it to run fast given the spec.

I have recently got a Acer Aspire One 753 model with a Intel Celeron U3600 1,2Ghz Dual Core and 3GB memory running Windows 7 Home Premium. and its running a lot smoother and doesnt seem to lag.  It just took roughly 45 minutes to install which isnt to bad for a working (well) program.

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Incase anyone else is still finding this thread, I had an Acer Aspire One 751 with a 1.33 Ghz (lower than the minimum for visual 2010) with 1GB RAM running windows xp and I installed visual studio 2010 ultimate on it ok, it was a bit slow but I wasnt expecting it to run fast given the spec.

I have recently got a Acer Aspire One 753 model with a Intel Celeron U3600 1,2Ghz Dual Core and 3GB memory running Windows 7 Home Premium. and its running a lot smoother and doesnt seem to lag.  It just took roughly 45 minutes to install which isnt to bad for a working (well) program.

hi ,

nice , if you want to speed it up , invest in some extra ram , windows ready boost might give you a boost also , ....

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Thank you for your post on msdn.microsoft

I don't know if you can run visual studio on netbook am trying to think what can work on it if you are developing on c# or C++ or web development you can run different application to make your coding work on it but it going to be hard to find programs to run on netbook. I been a user for windows for along time and am running windows 8.1 on my computer and I have a notebook and am installing web visual studio on this machine. Am looking for a netbook for you I found one it called Aspire One AO756-2868 it great for what you want to do.

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 4:41 AM