none
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable

Question

• Hi,

I am new to this forum and wanted to know if anyone could help me with my problem.

I am trying to install Blackberry Desktop Manager 6.0 on XP, but it prevents installation stating that I need to install:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package

When I go to install the package there is no error message, however it does not show up in Add/Remove Programs. I did notice that the install process differs from when I installed the 2010 package as I only saw a flash/glimpse of a box that appeared to install the package.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone out there could help me resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:59 AM

All replies

• I suggest contacting RIM for problems installing their software. They have a forum at http://supportforums.blackberry.com/

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Thanks I tried that but no luck. It seems like the problem is installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package.

I feel if I can install that I will be all good.

Anyone with tips out there how to install this package properly?

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:06 AM
  • As I see it, Upon clicking on the Installer, You don't see any Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package in the add/remove programs.

Nevertheless, It installed correctly right? So, try running the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and see if it works.

It is somehow an error caused by the Registry. You can use Advanced System Care to repair your Registry.

Since Visual C++ 2008 was released long after Windows XP, try running it in Administrator mode.

You also need to check if the file you downloaded isn't corrupted or altered. Try to re-download it from Microsoft.

Here's one last thing, Go to your start menu \ all programs\ and look for Visual c++ 2008 Redistributable folder and look for any uninstall file.

If there is, Then it is installed and maybe it is hidden i add/remove to prevent inexperienced users from uninstalling programs.

Well that's all of my ideas. I hope I helped you. Thank you for asking a good question.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Thanks for the reply DJRM.

My main problem is that

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package

is not installing correctly and therefore I am not seeing it in add/remove programs.

When I click run, I only see a flash of a window but does not take me through the entire normal process of installation.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Go to my developer site, see products and I have all of the VC run-time for 2005 onwards.

If there is a problem, get back here and I will help you fix it

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Hi  there,

I cant seem to find the download from your website.

Can you please post a link to the download?

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:50 PM
  • They are all listed in the products page.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Got it.

I installed all that i could. However, it seems like only the 2010 package installed correctly.

My main problem is that I need 2008 Package in order to complete Blackberry DM 6.

Any suggestions?

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:18 AM
  • Check in the add/remove and see if there is anything there.

It could be you need the one without the service pack

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:46 AM
  • I only see Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:25 PM
  • service packs are only available for Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008 at the moment.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:55 PM
  • so does this mean i cant install 2008 package?
    Friday, March 11, 2011 12:53 AM
  • I only link the SP1 versions but if you go to the download page, at the bottom of the Microsoft download pages you will see links for the original versions too

Friday, March 11, 2011 12:55 AM
  • So now it shows I have both 2005 and 2010 package installed in add/remove programs.

But I am still unable to install 2008 package.

Any ideas why 2008 does not install and how to get it installed?

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:11 AM
  • OK, lets switch to some IT now.

Click start and in the search box enter.....

sfc /scannow

and get back here with results

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:29 AM
  • i type that in to look in local hard drive right?
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:35 AM
  • i have opened up windows messenger if you can chat

ocolladojr@hotmail.com

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:38 AM
  • no results from the search

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:39 AM
  • what version of Windows are you using?

Friday, March 11, 2011 3:42 AM
  • windows xp media center edition 2002 sp3
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:48 AM
  • use the command I cited by clicking on start->run

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:10 AM
  • i am unable to run that command without my install cd.

any way around it?

Friday, March 11, 2011 4:48 AM
  • FInd your disk. Because it found an issue you need it.

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:47 PM
  • got my disk. running command now.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:59 AM
  • it ran through the process.

now it states:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache"

Insert your Windows XP Profeesional CD2 now.

The problem is I dont have a second disk.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:26 AM
  • XP MCE comes on 2 CDs

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Thanks for all of the help and effort but I think I am going to throw in the towel on this one.

I don't think its possible to resolve this issue.

I may consider a complete reinstall of xp after backing my data up.

Thanks again!

Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:19 AM
  • A fresh install of XP is the best thing I could suggest as well.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:17 PM
  • so i did a fresh install and i finally was able to install BB DM 6.

but now my problem is the yellow?/! in my device manager next to:

?!Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus

?!Multimedia Controller

?!Video Controller

?!Video Controller (VGA compatible)

ive tried just about everything i can think of (driver fetch, ati download site...)

just wondering if you had a quick fix for this

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Thanks for all of the help and effort but I think I am going to throw in the towel on this one.

I don't think its possible to resolve this issue.

I may consider a complete reinstall of xp after backing my data up.

Thanks again!

I agree with you that to throw the towel early, as i also faced this problem (install BB DM 6) and still can't find a completed solution.

In short, i just use 7-zip (or winrar you like) to 'extract' the BB DM installation file (right click, open archive), 'extract' out the 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package' within the file. Use 7-zip again to 'extract' all files within the VC++ 2008 .exe file. You can see a .msi file (named vcredist.msi sth) and double click to install it. Finally i can install the VC++ 2008 that matched BB DM 6 requirement (i tried those download from MS website but no help) and also BB DM 6. But when the DM 6 startup, it shown error (sth like rim.desktophelper.desktop) and quit.

As BB DM5 work fine at the same machine, finally i used DM 5

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:06 AM
  • martinn23 - just so you know, i was having the same problem and almost threw in the towel.  Thanks to your instructions, I extracted and installed the VC++ package (click 'Ignore' for all of the displayed error messages), and was able to install BB DM6 successfully!

Thanks!!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:41 PM