none
VS2010 Extension on VS2010 C# Express

Question

• I have developed an VS2010 extension, which can be successfully installed on VS2010 Ultimate. In the manifest file I clearly specifyed that I want the extension to support all VS2010 Express editions as well.

This seems to work (well kind of) as at startup of the installation of the VSIX file the notification dialog says that two (Ultimate and Express) editions of VS2010 are detected and the extension will be installed on both of them. However the extension setup only succeeded for Ultimate but not for Express edition.

The log file says:

26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM - The following target products have been selected...
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM -  Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM -  Microsoft Visual C# Express 2010
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM -
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM - Beginning to install extension to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate...
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM - Install to Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate completed successfully. The extension has been installed ...
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM - Beginning to install extension to Microsoft Visual C# Express 2010...
    26/01/2011 5:58:48 PM - Install Error : Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.MissingReferencesException: This extension cannot be installed because the following references are missing:
    - Visual Studio MPF
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.BeginInstall(IInstallableExtension installableExtension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExtensionManager.ExtensionManagerService.InstallWorker(IInstallableExtension extension, Boolean perMachine, AsyncOperation asyncOp)

I have checked the manifest and "Visual Studio MPF" reference is not missing. And why, if it is indeed missing, it was still OK for Ultimate?

Many poople on this and other forums suggest that VS2010E does not support extensions at all. However I cannot see how this can be the case as the manifest editor "offers" to select Express as the supported IDE edition. And also the VS2010E has fully working Extension Manager.

I cannot get my head around this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Taras,

The Extension Manager dialog exists in Visual Studio 2010 Express editions only to support certain kinds of extensions. Specifically, it supports templates and toolbox controls. This is also why "Express" is a possibility for your target SKU's in the VSSDK tooling.

Visual Studio Packages, MEF components (to extend the editor), or other extension content types should not install or load on Express editions.

Regards,
    Aaron

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar
    • Proposed as answer by Oleg Shilo Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by taras_b Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Taras,

The Extension Manager dialog exists in Visual Studio 2010 Express editions only to support certain kinds of extensions. Specifically, it supports templates and toolbox controls. This is also why "Express" is a possibility for your target SKU's in the VSSDK tooling.

Visual Studio Packages, MEF components (to extend the editor), or other extension content types should not install or load on Express editions.

Regards,
    Aaron

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar
    • Proposed as answer by Oleg Shilo Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by taras_b Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Thank you Aaron,

Your answer is very precise and informative. And it leaves no room for the misinterpretation.

I wish this information was available (e.g. as warning message) during the manifest editing.  After all  the information about the Extension type being developed can be easy obtained by the manifest editor.

Thank you,

Taras

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:29 PM