none
how to install an .ISO file

Question

• I want to install Visual studio 2005 and i got an .ISO file.

How to expand this file to install this program

Sunday, September 03, 2006 3:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you talking about the Express editions? if so, the instructions were given:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/

Sunday, September 03, 2006 4:32 PM
  • You're supposed to burn a CD from that image.  You don't have to, there are various tools around that let you access the .iso file contents.  I use MSFT's Virtual CD drive tool, it lets you mount a .iso image as a drive.  For something more polished, check out IsoBuster or Deamon tools.
    Sunday, September 03, 2006 5:05 PM
  • I don;t want to be critical but I am spending wayy too much time rying to unwind an ISO I downloaded from my expensive MSDN subscription.   I tried the MSFT tool listed in this forum on Vista Ultimate. I am amazed that Microsoft, the maker of operating systems most used in the world distributes files in ISO format yet does not imbed a tool into their latest most expensive OS that reads the format. Anyone have a link to a SUPPORTED solution from the maker of the largest operatin system in the world?

Ernest

Ernest D Cook
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:24 AM
  • There is two ways to install the .ISO file system

1. To burn the .ISO file to any CD/DVD using the CD/DVD burning software like Nero, Roxio etc.  then run the CD/DVD to install.

or

2. Use a Virtual CD/DVD Drive Software which can be useful to use the .ISO file without burning to the CD/DVD ROM. These are gives a extra Virtual CD/DVD option in which we can place the .ISO file and use as the normal CD we use.

Some of the Virtual CD Software like

1. Virtrual CD
    2. ISO Buster
    etc.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 11:34 AM
  • Thanks nobugz for your reply. Very helpful I was wondering if I could get an easy tool that could let me install Visual Studio 2008 ISO without burning it first to a DVD.

Monday, December 15, 2008 7:25 PM
  • yes theres a freeware program called undisker 1.6 that i used i google and found it but if u need a link email me tommynmissi@cableone.net
    • Proposed as answer by aejiii Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by nobugzMVP, Moderator Friday, December 27, 2013 8:17 AM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Hey

hi

Why don't you use power ISO tools . its small simple and fast .

Nitinkumar kakulde Sharepoint Developer +91 9890336633
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Follow the instructions.  For more details, you can go to http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Good luck!

-Andrew Guitarte, PMP
    Monday, January 17, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Use MagicISO tool.You can extract the ISO file easily using trail version.But the ISO file should be less than 300MB.
    Sures R http://sharepoint-sureshkumar.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Sures Ramasamy Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Good point
    • Proposed as answer by Aba2020 Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aba2020 Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:48 PM
    Saturday, April 09, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Installing .iso files seems to be a universal problem.  I read the replies in this forum.  I think using tools like ISO Buster and similar seems to be overkill. I don't have experience with them.  The proposed 'Windows 7 USB/DVD Download' looks like a good suggestion.  However, when I tried to open an .iso file downloaded from MS sight (specifically, Web Expressions), the tool complained that it is not a valid .ISO format.  Maybe the tool is not well tested.  Anyway, the answer to the question that has worked well for me is to use a tool like 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html)  that can be downloaded it from the web.  You can open .ISO file with this tool.  Then Extract the files.  Then run the setup.exe (or similar) to install the software.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:01 PM
  • an .iso file is nothing more than an image of a CD or DVD. It doesn't necessarily have to have an INSTALL file in it, nor is it something that actually "Get's Installed"

The best program I have found to deal with .iso files, is a program called Virtual CloneDrive. Virtual CloneDrive is freeware, you may use it at no cost. I've been using it for years on my Windows Vista laptop.

It simply mounts the .iso file and you can then access it the same as if you had burned a CD and inserted it into your CD Rom drive. It's simple & easy to use. 

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:22 PM
  • The world has stopped burning to DVD since the last six or seven years,  most of us prefer to use a USB stick.  Why this obsession with burning to DVD ? Isn't it time Microsoft learned to change with the times ?  

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Furthermore, encouraging burn to DVD for every little thing is not a environment friendly attitude. Imagine all that plastic that gets thrown in the trash. Whatever happened to corporate responsibility?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:48 PM
  • This is the best answer
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:43 PM
  • I use WinZip to extract ISO's.  Open the ISO using WinZip and extract the file(s) to any folder you want then you can generally run the Setup.exe and place the program and contents anywhere you have access to (usually the C-drive under program files).  If you need WinZip you can Google it on the internet and download it.  The trial period should be enough to let you install your ISO.  Good luck!
    • Proposed as answer by jslush Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:43 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:05 PM
  • yes i am agree with jslush. It is the most easy way to install an iso file using winzip/winrar as this software is very common. You just have to right click on the iso file and then extract it or if there is no option to extract like this then open winzip and/or winrar and then from file menue click on 'open archive' and then give the path and select the iso file u want to install. i hope it will work. Good luck
    Friday, December 30, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I used 7-zip to extract and install Visual Studio 2010 Express from an iso image. It was simple and easy. 7-zip extracted the files from iso image then run the setup.exe file from extracted files. 7-zip (open source Windows utility) can be used to extract other types of files, e.g., zip, tar, etc.
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:26 AM
  • I usually download the ISO file somewhere on my C drive, then I run Windows Disk Image Burner and put it to CD. That is if you want to put it to CD.
    • Edited by Gus1942 Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:23 PM
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Perfect... Easy and Simple solution just use 7 Zip
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:12 AM
  • i think winRAR will do a good  job... you can extract all the content an ISO with your zippers....like winRAR, ISO is a form of compressed zip but its called .ISO nor .rar or .zip....LOL 
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Some people already mentioned it..but any compressed tool can work. WinRAR, 7-zip , I even used win-zip to get the job done. No need to ISO tool to mount them anymore.
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Marsden Friday, April 12, 2013 10:43 AM
    Monday, September 24, 2012 7:39 PM
  • I used Virtual CD drive. Works great. Downloaded Virtual CD Drive, opened the program, selected "manage images", "task and tools" tab, "convert", browsed to my iso file(already in my download folder), in options select "convert source to VCD". Upon completion, double clicked the virtual cd of my iso file, virtual cd opened like a hard copy cd with the files in a directory, selected the "setup" file and installed my program. Better than burning an iso file to a cd. Thanks.
    Monday, November 05, 2012 2:57 AM
  • Right click -> open with WinRAR  :)
    Monday, December 16, 2013 5:13 AM
  • Extract the .ISO files to your hard drive and then you can install visual studio 2005.
    Contents of .ISO image files can be accessed directly using third-party tools that allow file extraction from the file to a temporary folder on your hard drive (similar to .zip files). As with the virtual drive, this approach is advisable to install application software or system upgrades. An example of this approach is the creation of an installation thumb drive to install software on netbooks or other devices with no optical drive.
    The following tools offer .ISO file support:

• IsoBuster
    • CDmage
    • Daemon Tools
    • Winrar

Monday, December 16, 2013 11:40 AM
  • There are no instructions on that link.
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 12:44 AM