none
Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID

Question

• Hello,

Please can someone assist me with the following issue that I have with COM Interoperability. I am using the new .NET 2.0 Framework.

I have created a production capture web application which allows our operation staff to capture production into our ERP system through a web interface which is quick and provides all the necessary data verification. I access the PROTEAN ERP environment using the system API’s which is a collection of DLL’s.

I started by convert the C+ DLL’s into .NET DLLs using the Type Library Importer (Tlbimp.exe) and then copied the file into the BIN directory of my web application and made a reference to the DLL from VS. The converted file is called NETProtean. I create a simple class called Protean Wrapper which when instantiated creates an object of the convert COM object. The class has so far one function which utilizes the logon function provided by the COM object.

The class looks like the following:

Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices

Imports NetProtean

Public Class ProteanWrapper

Dim mysession As CProteanSession

Public Sub New()

mysession = New CProteanSession()

End Sub

Function Logon(ByVal txtusername As String, ByVal txtpassword As String, ByVal txtdatabase As String) As Boolean

Dim login As Boolean

login = mysession.Login(txtusername, txtpassword, txtdatabase)

Return mysession.IsConnected

End Function

End Class

I then created another a web page which instantiates the ProteanWrapper class and uses the logon function to logon to the PROTEAN ERP environment which works perfectly

Web page code below:

Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim mysession As New ProteanWrapper

lblConnected.Text = mysession.Logon("servicescbsa", "servicescbsa", "dbPZACTxxLIVE")

End Sub

So far I do not have a problem and everything works perfectly. However, after a certain amount of idle time, the Protean session process located in the Windows task manager disappears. This represents the connection to the ERP environment. When this Process disappears and I rerun the web page I get the following error:

Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {5FBD2514-9C00-11D1-BBBE-0000C091D9DB} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80010105.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {5FBD2514-9C00-11D1-BBBE-0000C091D9DB} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80010105.

Source Error:

Line 20:     Public Sub New()
    Line 21: 
    Line 22:         mysession = New CProteanSession()
    Line 23: 
    Line 24:     End Sub

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ScheduleCapture2\App_Code\ProteanWrapper.vb    Line: 22

I have two questions:

1)     Why does the Protean Session process located in the Windows task manager of the web server (which represents my connection to Protean) disappear after a certain period of idle time? Is this done by .NET’s garbage collection?

2)     What exactly does this message mean to me??

3)     How can I fix this from occurring??

Regards,

Stuart Ormiston

Business Analyst

Coates Brothers

Tel: +27 21 590 5145

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:55 PM

Answers

•  ormistons wrote:

I have two questions:

1)     Why does the Protean Session process located in the Windows task manager of the web server (which represents my connection to Protean) disappear after a certain period of idle time? Is this done by .NET’s garbage collection?

1) The process disappears as it has finished processing. This could be because it encountered an error. Hopefully the process has some logging that can assist in finding out what happened. The GC doesnt kill processes.

However your class ProteanWrapper should at some stage release the COM object mySession using the Marshal.ReleaseCOMObject(mysession).

2) It means that the component creation failed.  80010105 == Unknown OLE Error. Its possible that the component on creation tries to communicate with that process which is terminating. Failure in this may have caused the above error.

3) You need to find out why the process is terminating by looking at some logs (Event Log, flat file logs,application documentation etc). You also need to understand the relationship between the COM component (CProteanSession) and the process.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:54 PM

All replies

•  ormistons wrote:

I have two questions:

1) The process disappears as it has finished processing. This could be because it encountered an error. Hopefully the process has some logging that can assist in finding out what happened. The GC doesnt kill processes.

However your class ProteanWrapper should at some stage release the COM object mySession using the Marshal.ReleaseCOMObject(mysession).

2) It means that the component creation failed.  80010105 == Unknown OLE Error. Its possible that the component on creation tries to communicate with that process which is terminating. Failure in this may have caused the above error.

3) You need to find out why the process is terminating by looking at some logs (Event Log, flat file logs,application documentation etc). You also need to understand the relationship between the COM component (CProteanSession) and the process.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 2:54 PM
  • Hello Nikhil,

Thank you for your quick response. The application log has collected information about the process and i have noticed this error together with a few others located in there. I think one of the other error messages is associated with the CProteanSession process. Let me investigate and i will post my findings.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,

Stuart.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 6:38 AM
  • Have you found the solution to this problem?  I am running into the same thing with a web app.
    • Proposed as answer by Lal Rajapakshe Friday, September 19, 2008 9:10 AM
    Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

Were you able to resolve this issue? Apparently, one of our end users is running into similar problem and we aren't quite sure how to go about resolving this.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks

Chandra M.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:54 PM
  • Hi,
     I am also trying to do same thing. and also getting same error when i gave request to the page(i.e is not after some time). I converted Protean.DLL and gave reference to conveted dll from my web application.
    Is it required to register Protean.DLL and conveted dll with window registry? When I tried to register these dlls its giving error llike "DllRegisterServer in DLL failed. Return code was:0x80029c4a"

Please help me!

Thanks
    Har
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:33 AM
  • I have gotten the same error when I was trying to edit a step in SQL Agent.

Monday, November 04, 2013 7:25 PM