none
Hang during install of: Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 XML Editor (KB2251487)

Question

• I can't complete an installation of this update. Windows update hangs while installing this update.

I have screen snapshots of this, but can't add an attachment to this forum body.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get around this?

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem.

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 643

I tried Safe Mode but Windows Update wouldn't launch.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your post.

According to the description of your problem, you failed to update KB2251487.

Could you please let me know if you have install Visual Studio 2008 and Service Pack 1?

What is your OS and Service Pack level?

First,if you have installed Visual Studio 2008 and Service Pack 1, I recommend you install this update manually. You can download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26419

In addition, I find an article which I think is probably helpful, so I recommend you read it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052

If the problem still exists, I recommend you uninstall Visual Studio 2008 first, then install this update.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Did this help? If you still have any questions about this issue, please feel free to let me know. We will continue to work with you on this issue.

If I have misunderstood anything, please describe your question in more detail and we will be able to provide quicker and better responses.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, June 27, 2011 2:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, June 27, 2011 2:34 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Hi Alex,

In debug mode, I found that the cause for failing to install the update is because of:

"Could not load file or assembly 'System.AddIn, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 and I've had .Net 3.5.1 feature enabled.  I tried to install Visual Studio 2008, but failed many times.  Visual Studio 2010 sp1 is currently installed in the system.

Any idea about what to do?  Thanks

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

This did not resolve my issue. I do not have Visual Studio 2008 installed. I have 2 Windows 2008 R2 servers which cannot install this update.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Thank you for your post.

I've looked through your new problem and it's not directly related to the original issue. Thus it would be best if you open up a new thread for the new question. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:06 AM