none
What products do we need

Question

• Hi all,

I've been trying to get a simple shopping list of vs.net products for the past 11 days, but with no success. I tried the website, but it's of no help unless I know what I need, I tried customer support, but they didn't help either. All I wanted was someone telling me something like this:

you need to buy:

5 visual studio 2005 professional (or whatever version suits our needs), but since the company is new to .net, you want to consider an MSDN subscription as well.

or you can also buy the following products: product1, product2, etc.

I'll write what our needs are, and maybe I'll get the help I need here:

I work for a software company that develope stock trading systems. We are situated in Israel, but we have customers all over Europe and in US.

We work with Sun's Java language, and never had anything to do with Microsoft's languages, so there is no knowledge in the company at all regarding that world.

However, recently we were asked to take a project that is only possible in .net enviroment, so it was decided that we'll purchase developement enviroment and start learning this world and language.

We use Windows XP OS, and our customers are all using XP or Windows 2000.

We work with Oracle databases, and that isn't going to change, so we don't need the MS SQL server.

We use Apache and IBM's websphere servers for deployment needs, so we don't need Windows server.

We are 5 developers, and there will be no other developers at the moment. We're going to use only C# probably, but we want to keep the VB option open, and J# as well. C++ will not be used.

The question is:

What products do we need to buy?

Thanks a lot at advance for your help.

Monday, January 01, 2007 7:08 AM

Answers

• First I recommend that you compare the different Visual Studio 2005 products:

Then you could compare the Visual Studio 2005 Subscription Editions:

If you want to order you should contact the Israelian MSDN Subscription Services:

Going from your requirements you could consider either buying 5 Visual Studio 2005 Professional Editions with a MSDN Subscription or just 4 Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition and 1 Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition with a MSDN Subscription. Maybe it is also interesting to consider whether or not this is single .NET project. What if your needs change?

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:40 AM

All replies

• First I recommend that you compare the different Visual Studio 2005 products:

Then you could compare the Visual Studio 2005 Subscription Editions:

If you want to order you should contact the Israelian MSDN Subscription Services:

Going from your requirements you could consider either buying 5 Visual Studio 2005 Professional Editions with a MSDN Subscription or just 4 Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition and 1 Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition with a MSDN Subscription. Maybe it is also interesting to consider whether or not this is single .NET project. What if your needs change?

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your time.

However, I'm still confused as of the team products. After reading some of the pages you liked above, I still can't put my finger on the product we need.

I guess we'll take your advice to buy the single MSDN subscription and 4 VS 2005 pro units.

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 7:44 AM