none
Tool Build Order on VS2010 & VS2012

Question

• Hello,

On Visual Studio 2008 you can right click on a project from Solution Explorer and click on the Tool Build Order menu item to access to the Tool Build Order dialog and tool items list.

Where is the same feature on Visual Studio 2010 and 2012?

Thanks

• Edited by CodeVisio Monday, March 18, 2013 12:52 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 10:57 AM

Answers

• hi CodeVisio

did you read my latest posting ?

starting with VS 2010 the C++ environment does use MSBuild as well and if you need to control the sequence of source code compilation steps than you need to define the corresponding MSBuild targets / events.

See the following article: How to: Extend the Visual Studio Build Process

the build process is now different

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by CodeVisio Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:14 PM

All replies

• in VS2010 they're still called

"Project Build Order..." and "Project Dependencies..."

and still opened with right click in Solution Explorer

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:07 PM
  • this is my right click pop menu:

Am I missing something? settings or so on?

Thanks
    • Edited by CodeVisio Monday, March 18, 2013 12:51 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 12:49 PM
  • lol

which project order would you like to control ? there's only 1 project in the solution and therefore VS does suppress the two men entries .

Monday, March 18, 2013 1:54 PM
  • Hey Daniel,

Would you point me out where I wrote "Project Build Order..." or "Project Dependencies..." on my first post, pls?

Have you read carefully my first post?

I'm talking about "Tool Build Order..." menu item or feature. Do you know that feature?

Just for your knowledge, on VS2008:

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:15 PM
  • the menu had been renamed in VS 2010 & VS2012 to "Project Build Order".

but the question still is answered what do you want to reorder in build process when you've only a single project in the solution.

starting with VS 2010 the C++ environment does use MSBuild as well and if you need to control the sequence of source code compilation steps than you need to define the corresponding MSBuild targets / events.

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Hi Coolmario,

Like Daniel’s suggestion, you would add a new project in the same solution, and then you could see it like the following screen shot. It doesn’t have it if there is one project in your solution.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Hi Jacksparrow,

probably is my English, otherwise there wouldn't be any other explanations to why this simple concept is so hard to understand.

I know what Project Build Order means. Clicking on it you can see the order of the compilation of projects you have under your solution.

I'm talking about Tool Build Order, a completely "different and unrelated" feature than Project Build Order.

This is a screenshot of Tool Build Order from VS2008:

Tool Build Order allows to you to see what is and in what order tools (like the ones above) are applied when you build your app.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:14 AM
  • hi CodeVisio

did you read my latest posting ?

the build process is now different

• Marked as answer by CodeVisio Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:14 PM
  • I'm reporting here the result of my investigation, I hope it could be helpful for someone else.

It's not complete but it could be a starting point to further enhancements.

I tried only on VS2012 express, but I believe it work also on VS2012 professional and maybe on VS2010 too.

In VS2008 there was a Tool Build Order (right click on your project's solution explorer) dialog feature where you could see a list of tools your projects & files were submitted to. For example the vc++ compiler, the linker and so on. You could also add in that list your own tool. For example, you wanted your particular files to be processed by your custom tool etc. The settings to add your custom tool resided inside a xml file with .rules extension. This files needed to be stored inside a particular Visual Studio installation folder.

In VS2012 (maybe also for VS2010) this process was changed. Instead to have only one .rules file now you have three files: .props, .targets, .xml. Instead to be stored inside the Visual Studio installation folder, they needed to be stored under the MSbuild installation folder (MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\BuildCustomizations).

After that you need to enable your custom tool: right click on your project's solution explorer | Build Customizations. At this point you should see your tool and enable it to be considered under the properties settings of your project. Add a file to your project that needs to be processed by your custom tool (you enabled it before).

Go to the properties settings of that file (right click on it from solution explorer) and on the three settings on the left of the property dialog that appeared you should select under Configurations Properties | General | Item Type list your custom tool. At this point the three settings on the left of the property dialog will show the settings about your custom tool.

• Edited by CodeVisio Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:14 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:11 PM