List<string> myList = new List<string>();
        public List<string> MyList
        {
            get { return myList; }
            set { myList = value; }
        }
    }

this XAML

<XamlBugClass xmlns="clr-namespace:WindowsFormsApplication1;assembly=WindowsFormsApplication1" >
        <XamlBugClass.MyList>
            <String xmlns="clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib" >hello world</String>
            <String xmlns="clr-namespace:System;assembly=mscorlib" >hello world2</String>
        </XamlBugClass.MyList>
    </XamlBugClass>

and I do this operation

object t = XamlReader.Load(File.OpenRead("MySample.xaml"));
    string XAML = XamlWriter.Save(t);

The Load just works perfect but when I get to the Save I get

"Cannot serialize a generic type 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]'."

This does not make sense at all, so I consider it a bug.

Cheers,

Tobias

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Tobias,

WPF 3.X didn't really support generics correctly so that's why you're seeing this error.  We're in the process of adding better generics support to XAML (loose XAML in System.Xaml supports it but the BAML compiler doesnt').

If you're just serializing data types and not WPF objects, you can use XamlServices.Load/Save in System.Xaml.dll in .NET 4 to serialize this.  I just tried serializing your XAML and I got:

<XamlBugClass xmlns="clr-namespace:ConsoleApplication25;assembly=ConsoleApplication25" xmlns:scg="clr-namespace:System.Collections.Generic;assembly=mscorlib" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">
      <XamlBugClass.MyList>
        <scg:List x:TypeArguments="x:String" Capacity="4">
          <x:String>hello world</x:String>
          <x:String>hello world2</x:String>
        </scg:List>
      </XamlBugClass.MyList>
    </XamlBugClass>
    - Mike
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Tobias,

WPF 3.X didn't really support generics correctly so that's why you're seeing this error.  We're in the process of adding better generics support to XAML (loose XAML in System.Xaml supports it but the BAML compiler doesnt').

If you're just serializing data types and not WPF objects, you can use XamlServices.Load/Save in System.Xaml.dll in .NET 4 to serialize this.  I just tried serializing your XAML and I got:

<XamlBugClass xmlns="clr-namespace:ConsoleApplication25;assembly=ConsoleApplication25" xmlns:scg="clr-namespace:System.Collections.Generic;assembly=mscorlib" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml">
      <XamlBugClass.MyList>
        <scg:List x:TypeArguments="x:String" Capacity="4">
          <x:String>hello world</x:String>
          <x:String>hello world2</x:String>
        </scg:List>
      </XamlBugClass.MyList>
    </XamlBugClass>
    - Mike
    Friday, March 19, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Hi all,

I have this class

this XAML

and I do this operation

The Load just works perfect but when I get to the Save I get

"Cannot serialize a generic type 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.String]'."

This does not make sense at all, so I consider it a bug.

Cheers,

Tobias

If you're sure it's a bug, You may tell the developing team.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:28 AM
  • It has already been fixed in .Net 4 .
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:35 AM
  • No, it hasn't.

In case you are familiar with using the "DelegateCommand" class for encapsulating command logic in MVVM - otherwise google on the web for implementation, I have just tried serializing an XAML which had bound commands like DelegateCommand<string> to its command properties. XamlWriter would throw that very same exception.

Still looking for a workaround ever since.

C.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Is there any solutions about this problem?
    Monday, May 16, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Is this problem solved?

Currently I'm trying to save/restore the content of QuickAccessToolbar in my application. But due to the DelegateCommand class I cannot serialize my objects.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 3:09 PM