none
Install Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 8 Enterprise

Question

• Hi All,

Can we install Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition on Windows 8 Enterprise 32-bit Operating System Operating Systems? because when the autorun executes, the setup can't continue and the problem occurs with the program's compatibility. I've tried to change the compatibility but it doesn't work well. The setup asked me to install Windows XP Service Pack 2. I'm very confused about this VS 2005 installation. When i install Visual Studio 2008, the installer works perfectly.

Need your advices about this Visual Studio 2005 Installation on Windows 8 Enterprise 32-bit Operatiing System. Please reply as soon as possible. Thank you.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Starlegacy,

Thanks for your post.

Visual Studio 2005 is out of our mainstream now, you can refer to this page http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Visual+Studio+2005&Filter=FilterNO

It can be installed on Win 7 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa948853.aspx "To use Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 7 you will need to install both Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 and the Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista."

But for Win 8, I haven't heard there is a solution. So in my mind, Visual Studio 2005 is not supported on Win 8. I recommend you install later version than Visual Studio 2008.

Thanks,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, August 24, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Hi Barry Wang,

Looks like Visual Studio 2008 can be installed on Windows 8, but it is not supported on recommended. Do you see any issues with compiling the code using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 8? What might be the issues if I install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 8 and develop program using that?

Thanks,

Srini.

Monday, September 03, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Not saying this installation is a good idea, and dunno how well the program will actually work, but...

On 64bit Windows 8 Pro, Visual Studio 2005 Pro installed successfully, choosing Custom install,  unchecking the SQL 2005 Express component, and ignoring the compatibility warnings. I did not attempt a Default or Full install, because I didn't need the SQL instance and have read that SQL 2005 does not install cleanly on Windows 8.

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:30 PM
  • @mona: Hello!  I just attempted to run Visual Studio 2005 on Win8 64bit and I keep getting "A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components".  Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me what the problem is, and since I can't even get to the start of the setup wizard, I am unable to do a custom install.  What steps did you take to be able to run VS 2005 on Win8?

Thanks!

Monday, December 24, 2012 11:10 AM
  • You might need to Run As Administrator, and/or disable UAC. Unsupported either way, I think, but I had UAC off, fwiw.
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:21 PM
  • I successfully install Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 8.

Just do a custom Install without the SQL Server 2005. just unselect it.

then Install. after install. try to Check Updates in the Windows Update you will see the Visual Studio 2005 Service pack 1 there, After the update, check updates again and you will see Visual Studio 2005 for Windows Vista update. install it.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:14 PM