none
vs2k5: Symbol not found error with web service

Question

• Attempting to step into a web method, receive:

"Unable to automatically step into the server. Unable to determine a stopping location. Verify symbols are loaded. Symbol not found: Service.HelloWorld()."

I notice though there are .PDB files in the virtual directory for 2 DLLs that the web service is dependent on, there is no .PDB file for the service's own App_Code.dll file. Since the PDB file contains 'symbolic debugging info' I wonder if that's the cause of the error. Do web services emit PDB files, or do they work entirely differently? I do not see anything in the property pages of the web service project addressing debug build configurations etc. like in other project types. Am I mistakenly NOT getting a debug build of the web service? And if so, how do I force it to give me that? If the IDE won't do it, what would be the correct compile command line?

Your's in frustration,
    daniel
    Olenick & Associates.
    Friday, May 13, 2005 9:55 PM

Answers

• Turning off 'Just My Code' debugging, and 'JIT Module Optimization' appears to have resolved these issues, although out of concern that some apparently unresolveable binding issues with the source code under TFS VCS might be involved I also completely cleaned the projects out of VCS (itself not a straight forward task) and re-added everything to VCS. I THINK everything's working now.

daniel
    Olenick & Associates.

Monday, May 23, 2005 1:57 PM

All replies

• Yes, Web Services do emit pdbs. In the web service directory under the "Temporary ASP.NET Files" folder, you should see one pdb file with a name that is similar to App_Code.XXXXX.dll. This is the pdb file for the web service.

Do you have a web.config file for the web service? If so, please check that the "debug" attribute in the web.config is set to true.

HabibH.
    Thursday, May 19, 2005 12:37 AM
  • Turning off 'Just My Code' debugging, and 'JIT Module Optimization' appears to have resolved these issues, although out of concern that some apparently unresolveable binding issues with the source code under TFS VCS might be involved I also completely cleaned the projects out of VCS (itself not a straight forward task) and re-added everything to VCS. I THINK everything's working now.

daniel
    Olenick & Associates.

Monday, May 23, 2005 1:57 PM
  • Debug is set to true in my scenario yet I get that same error.

Ideas?

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:53 PM
  • Hi All,

I am also facing the same problem. Is there any solution for this?

Anticipating your early reply.

thanks

Satish

Monday, September 18, 2006 5:11 AM
  • I have tried with the above mentioned options, but still I am facing the same problem.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:14 PM
  • Daniel

thanks for your post.

Turning of "Just my Code" alone solved my issue

:-)

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:58 AM