none
Microsoft Chart Controls broken image rendering / caching issue with IE6 / AJAX / jQuery on postback

Question

• Hi,

I have been using the MS Chart Controls happily for some time now, however, I had to recently deploy to a site where the users have to use IE6 as their browsing platform.

I found that the image I was generating, would not display on a AJAX call. The chart itself has several hotspots (it's a timeline graph) so it's quite essential! I had no problems using IE7.

After looking on the internet for possible solutions, the best answer I could find was to change the ChartImageHandler setting to be :

<add key="ChartImageHandler" value="Storage=memory;Timeout=20;deleteAfterServicing=false;"/>

It seems that the deleteAfterServicing is the key parameter to getting the chart to render ok under IE6. 

The actual implementation is using jQuery, I register click events against the image map areas, which registers a function to make an ajax post to the URL. The server is using an MVC implementation to process the parameters and return a PartialViewResult which is the chart page. This in itself is a shared user control (.ascx) file which consists of just  the asp:Chart object.

Whilst during the test phase, I hope this will suffice, I fear the bloating of the app pool memory resources when we go live. And whilst storage=file and deleteAfterServicing=false renders the image on postback, this also has the same problems of the directory increasing in size over time (I also believe privacy will become important later)

Does anyone know of a solution where the deleteAfterServicing=true can be set under an IE6 configuration involving ajax postbacks? As storage=session always deletes the file after servicing, this doesn't work either.

I look forward to hearing from you, and thanks in advance.

If you require any further info to assist, please let me know.

Kindest Regards

Sky
    • Edited by SkyR Monday, March 01, 2010 11:31 AM spelling
    Monday, March 01, 2010 11:27 AM

All replies

• I was having the same issues and tried the "deleteAfterService" tip and it worked, but am really searching for the root cause with ie6.  I was watching the traffic in netmon and it looks like ie6 tries 3 times on different ports and on every attempt gets a connection refused status and then it finally gives up.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:56 PM