none
You must "Turn windows features on or off" in the control panel to install or configure .net framework

Question

• Hello All,

When ever I am trying to install .Net framework on my machine (Vista 32 bit machine) it gives above error.

Even after "Turning on or off windows features" through control panel, it continue giving the same error.

Has anybody faced this issue befor?

Regards,

Vivek.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:01 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Vivek

What .NET Framework version are you trying to install on your machine? Vista already has .NET Framework 3.0 as an OS component in it. So if you are trying to install a version lower than .NET Framework 3.5, you will see this message. All you would need to do in this case would be to goto Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:30 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Vivek

What .NET Framework version are you trying to install on your machine? Vista already has .NET Framework 3.0 as an OS component in it. So if you are trying to install a version lower than .NET Framework 3.5, you will see this message. All you would need to do in this case would be to goto Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.

Thanks

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 9:30 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I need to reinstall a version of .net framework and everytime I launch the app I am stopped with the "You must turn windows features on or off in the control panel to install or configure .net framework" message.  I switched it off but I need to reinstall it, is there a way to do this manually?  Thanks for any help you can provide! D
    • Proposed as answer by EZRyder Friday, December 25, 2009 9:14 PM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 12:30 PM
  • I am having the same problem. I go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off but I don't see net framework 3. Please help me. panyaads@gmail.com
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:22 AM
  • I have the same problem. I want install .Net3.0 and .Net3.5 to Windows7. It occur the same message.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:41 AM
  • having same problem i have every thing turned on and i still cant get to install the thing its driving me mad
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:21 PM
  • I have the same problem too. TurboTax 2009 won't startup without the FrameWork.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:00 PM
  • All these people posting messages about having "the same problem" keep in mind that some OS versions like Vista, Server 2008 and Windows 7 already contain some version of the .NET FW. Because the .NET FW on these systems is part of the OS (just like kernel32.dll) they sometimes appear only in service pack updates. For example, .NET 3.5 redist download does *not* list Windows 7 in the list of Supported Operating systems.
    Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Vivek,

Go to the turn windows features on or off. If you can't find it right away, go into "C:" and search for it from there (local disk).
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:01 PM
  • I had exactly the same problem, but i fixed it myself bu going into the windows features and unticking an option that says

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1"

Unticking this and clicking okay and let it do its thing.. then retry installing .net 3.5

workd for mee :D

If it works for anyone else then please say soo..

BTW im using windows 7

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Hello SandyG18,

I'am using windows 7 professional 

I have that error when i want tick the box on Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1

When i tic it its show an error saying "An error has been occurred. Not all of the features were successfully changed".

I also use the cleaner program for the .NET Framework 

nothing happen

and also i type in cmd >> sfc \scannow its scaning and nothing happen 

hope you make a tutorial about it how to fix it please dude and replay me 

and post the link from youtube 

or type step by step how to be working 

and thank you

Replay me please with a good solution 

Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Solidsnake 89....here ya go ...Had the same exact problem....DROVE ME NUTS FOR DAYS......after much searching got clue from another.................

Find a computer (my laptop served me well)  copied files labled framework and framework 64 (both are win 7 64 bit machines) from C:windows/Microsoft.NET folder....to thumb drive..................copy and replace existing files to non working machine in same location....

I WAS THEN ABLE TO CHECK What EVER AND IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AND turbo tax then installed also !!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:12 AM
  • thanks

this way worked for me

but i download 231mb of .net framework 3.5 sp1 from microsoft web site (not 2.7bm)

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:07 PM
  • hey sparks i tried to delete the frameworks for replacing them but i couldnt because an error occurs saying that

"you need permission to perform this action

You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder"

I will be waiting for your reply

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:22 PM
  • @ redrig

Ah yes the dredded "TrustedInstaller". This is a generic user which is given total Administrative rights for the installation of your operating system at the time it was built by the manufacturer. I have seen this TrustedInstaller user on HP, Dell and standard Windows installs. The way to get around that is to take ownership of your hard drive and give those rights to you, using your current username. This is done by using the security tab in in My Computer. Open My Computer, "right click" on the drive "C" or whatever drive has your operating system on it. Left click properties, there will be seven (7) tabs that open up in a box. Go to the tab that has "Security" on it by left clicking it and brining it to the front, then "Advanced" near the lower right corner of this window. Click on the tab that has "Owner", click on the button that has "edit". This will open a box that should have Administrators and your username in it. Click on your username and it will be come highlighted, then make sure to click in the check box below it "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects:, then click ok. You will probably get two errors, about "pagefile.sys" and another file name of somekind. Just click ok to those and it will change ownership of the drive to your account and that should give you sufficient rights to complete the installation.

IT Consultant
    • Proposed as answer by carywinton Monday, January 23, 2012 7:28 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:28 PM

• When ever I am trying to install .Net framework on my machine (Vista 32 bit machine) it gives above error.

Even after "Turning on or off windows features" through control panel, it continue giving the same error.

Solution is that :  Open Control panel >>Program(Uninstall a progaram )>>then click at Turn window feature on or off>>uncheck dot net framwork 3.5..... 

then reinstall .

Saturday, April 21, 2012 11:00 PM