none
Refresh GAC after a DLL upgrade

Question

•  

Hi folks

How do I "refresh" the GAC after updating a DLL?
    Sometimes when I update one DLL in GAC and try to run an application that uses it, looks like it's using the old assembly...

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• First of all, what kind of application? If it's an ASP application, for example, it will just keep running with whatever version of the DLL it currently has in memory until you recycle the worker process.

Secondly, are you updating the same DLL version? That's not really something the GAC is designed to accommodate. Each upgrade should have a unique version. Native compilations by the JIT engine are cached.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:24 PM
  • It's a console application... When it's an ASP application I just run an "iisreset" and that's Ok...

And... Yes, it's the same version... I'm installing in a test machine, and when I find breaking bugs I do not increase the assembly version...

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:53 AM
  • Use Fuslogvw.exe to find out where the assembly is coming from.
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:04 PM
  • Hi Can some one please explain how to use Fuslogvw.exe .... i am also having same problem.
    I tried using it and i am aware my code is using OLD reference. But i call the same DLL through an exe  and it works. i have restarted IIS but still that doesn't work.

The assembly is having same name and verision. Is there any way i can refesh the Gac to refer the latest assembly.

Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Start an SDK command prompt and run fuslogvw

Online instructions and explanation can be found here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e74a18c4(VS.71).aspx
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:12 AM