TimeZone = Egypt Standard Time
    Initial LCID = 3073
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 10
    Exe (D:\86cd0bbfe57144c90a266e3aa87ced\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (D:\86cd0bbfe57144c90a266e3aa87ced\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu) failed with 0xc8000222 - (null).
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0xC8000222) (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:27).

Monday, November 05, 2012 8:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• I see you're using the web installer. Please try these steps:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

The complete log set is needed for analysis.

Monday, November 05, 2012 2:57 PM
  • for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

I Don't Understand This Please Say To Me What I Write In Cmd With Example From Your Computer Or With Photo

Monday, November 05, 2012 6:39 PM
  • 1. Open a Windows System Command Prompt window As Administrator.

2.Copy this command to your clipboard (Ctrl-C)

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T

3. Paste the command into your Command Prompt window by clicking on the icon of the title bar to open the menu, then select Edit->Paste

4. With the command pasted into the Command Prompt window, hit your Enter key.

Monday, November 05, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Here is my analysis

i also got the error hresult 0xc8000222

OS Version = 6.1.7600, Platform 2

OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate Edition
    CommandLine = C:\b5670569e39aa591681311b00ac5\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = GMT Standard Time
    Initial LCID = 2057

Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\b5670569e39aa591681311b00ac5\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File:
    dd_SetupUtility.txt
    Exe (C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0xc8000222 - (null). Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0xC8000222) (Elapsed time: 0 00:01:16).

and https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=8D28D4AE35C23A52
    • Edited by nepf Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:24 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Hello, nepf.

Posting your question in an already-answered thread ensures that the majority of forum readers will never see your issue.

PLEASE start a new thread for best help.

Have you followed the steps I provided to the OP here? If so, post the link to your complete logs.

Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:39 PM
  • sorry, just that i coudnt play a game, because i needed .netframework 4.0

and since you knew how to do this,i just replied to you xP

yes, i have followed what you have put, and it still doesnt work

Thursday, December 27, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Then, please provide your install logs as follows:

collect your install logs with this:

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

And, again, by not starting a new thread, your posts are not being read by others who may have useful suggestions for you.
    • Edited by pvdg42MVP Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:42 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

I am trying to install .Net framework 4 on my PC and having the same problem. I tried the above solution but it's still giving same error message...

My PC has a 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Please provide a solution i need it urgently..

Monday, December 31, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Posting to an already-answered thread guarantees that most forum readers will never see your post!

PLEASE start a new thread!

Hello, jyoti_agarwal.

Saying "having the same problem" without providing your install logs means we are guessing that your problem is identical to that experienced by the OP. In that case, you need to patch your OS up to date, including SP1 for Windows 7, before proceeding.

Further, as the error code  0xC8000222 always means you have update error needs to be fixed.

Please open a new thread on the following forum to solve your update issue first:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_update

(The Windows Update advice above was "stolen" from a post in another thread by Barry Wang)

• Edited by pvdg42MVP Monday, December 31, 2012 3:01 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 3:00 PM
  • I am running into same problem

Friday, January 25, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Hello, AmiableDeveloper.

Posting to an already-answered thread guarantees that most forum readers will never see your post!

Saying "having the same problem" without providing your install logs means we are guessing that your problem is identical to that experienced by the OP.

When you start your new thread, provide complete install logs as follows:collect your install logs with this:

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link in your new thread.

Friday, January 25, 2013 2:51 AM
  • vslogs.cab File

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C8F86A82C8686CD0!110

Plz reply me as soon as possible !!!

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Posting to an already-answered thread guarantees that most forum readers will never see your post!

Also, your vslogs.cab does not contain an install log for .NET Framework 4.0, so what, exactly, is the problem you have?
    • Edited by pvdg42MVP Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:32 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mohit Juneja Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:47 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:24 PM
  • net framework 4 has not been installed because hresult 0xc8000222 -- I followed above steps

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

Not running ..

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:50 PM
  • PLEASE start a new thread!

I am the only one reading your posts in this closed thread, and I have no suggestions for you based on the information you've provided.

Start a new thread and describe your problem fully so others will see your issue.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Hi there! I am having the same issue with installing .NET framework, so I followed on the above steps and still not successful with the installation of NET framework. I uploaded the vslogs.cab at 4shared, I think you will need to make an account in there in order to download my vslogs.cab, I couldn't upload at skydrive cause didn't work, so sorry.

here is the link:

4shared.com/file/6Gd94iSB/vslogs.html?

Mine's Windows 7 64 bit. I am hoping for your reply, thank you

Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hello, Jinbe.

Did you read all the other posts in this closed thread where new posters were requested to START A NEW THREAD? Please do so.

I was able to download your vslogs.cab, and the first thing I observed was multiple install logs for .NET Framework 4.0. That means you did not follow the steps I provided.

This step, "2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents."

removes all old logs from your %temp% directory, so the multiple logs indicates you did not perform this (and possibly other) steps prior to running the installer.

Try the answers in these threads:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/2e0ad251-f1e1-4038-9b25-a159683985c9

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/afeabac0-86d7-4ef1-a630-75c9e5f73663

Monday, February 25, 2013 1:56 AM
  • https://skydrive.live.com/?mkt=en-US&v=FirstRunView#cid=CC1964E0954708C8&id=CC1964E0954708C8!106
    Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:52 AM
  • Hello, Willykitwi.

Your link doe not provide the vslogs.cab file needed. Did you share the file? Right click on the file in your SkyDrive and select Share. Follow the prompts to share the file with everyone, then post the provided link here.

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:04 PM
  • The simplest way to resolve this issue is as follows

1.Stop the windows update service

use this command ---> net stop WuAuServ

2.Rename the folder 'SoftwareDistribution' in your windows folder (most Probably 'C:\Windows\ SoftwareDistribution ')  to something else like  'SoftwareDistribution_old' 

3.Restart the windows update service 

use this command ---> net start WuAuServ 

4.Now try to install the .net framework again.It should now work smoothly.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:14 PM