none
Can I remove Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and earlier vesions

Question

• My desktop runs on Widdows XP Pro Sevice Pack 3.

I have Microsoft.NET1.1, Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 SP2 , Microsoft.NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and Microsoft.NET Framework 305 SP1. These use up close to 400 MB of my desktop. I have never used any of these tools - Can Remove some or all of these or are these  needed to run some other application.

Friday, October 01, 2010 9:28 PM

Answers

• You *may* be able to remove 1.1, but if you have software installed that requires it, that software will stop working.

As far as 2.0/3.0/3.5 are concerned, they are all parts of the same full framework (2.0 is the base, and 3.0/3.6 are extensions of 2.0). You cannot have 3.0 or 3.5 without 2.0. I would leave these alone if I were you, as *many* Windows applications need this framework.

Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• You *may* be able to remove 1.1, but if you have software installed that requires it, that software will stop working.

As far as 2.0/3.0/3.5 are concerned, they are all parts of the same full framework (2.0 is the base, and 3.0/3.6 are extensions of 2.0). You cannot have 3.0 or 3.5 without 2.0. I would leave these alone if I were you, as *many* Windows applications need this framework.

Sunday, October 03, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Thanks,

ZeeManTeeMan

zeemanteeman
    Friday, October 08, 2010 2:02 PM
  • my problem is that i keep getting a low memory error, and i've cleaned up so much already, i have no memory available and these apps a lone take up 898.00 311.00 and 28.02, i can not even defrag my comp, so is there anyway to remove it defrag and then reinstall it? thank you
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Hello, Tammy1432.

As you've added your question to this thread, please read my answer to ZeeManTeeMan. If you do remove a .NET Framework, you do so at your own risk. and you are VERY likely to find that some of your programs no longer work. .NET Frameworks are not applications. They are managed environments in which applications designed to use them run.

You seem to be concerned about disc space used, as .NET Frameworks use actual memory only when loaded to support other programs.

To find ways to SAFELY recover disc space on your system, you should ask in the user support forums for your version of Windows, here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Another solution you may wish to investigate is replacement of your hard drive with a larger one, or (if your system will accomodate it) adding a second hard drive. Hard drives are very inexpensive these days.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:56 PM