none
How to open pdf file in vb.net applicatin?

Answers

• Here is another way to read pdfs.

Right click on any of the tabs in your toolbox and click choose items.(Just make sure you have a version of adobe reader installed before starting.) When the dialog box pops up click the 'com components' tab then pick tha 'adobe pdf reader' com component. Click ok and you should now see a 'adobe pdf reader' control in your toolbox. Click this and drag it to your vb form.(you may need to resize it, usually appears very small). Now in order to read any pdf just alter the 'src' property of the control either in code or in the designer. when you run the program you should be able to view the pdf doc in the vb form with most of the options you get in adobe reader. Here is how you would alter the 'src' property in code.

Code Snippet

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

AdobeReader.src = "C:\mydoc.pdf"

End Sub

Hope this helps

Matt

Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:42 AM
  • The quick and easy way to do this is to use the web browser control. This assumes that both IE and the Acrobat Reader are installed on the target system. Just use the Navigate method of the control with the PDF filename as the parameter and you're there.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• The quick and easy way to do this is to use the web browser control. This assumes that both IE and the Acrobat Reader are installed on the target system. Just use the Navigate method of the control with the PDF filename as the parameter and you're there.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 7:37 PM
  • Here is another way to read pdfs.

Right click on any of the tabs in your toolbox and click choose items.(Just make sure you have a version of adobe reader installed before starting.) When the dialog box pops up click the 'com components' tab then pick tha 'adobe pdf reader' com component. Click ok and you should now see a 'adobe pdf reader' control in your toolbox. Click this and drag it to your vb form.(you may need to resize it, usually appears very small). Now in order to read any pdf just alter the 'src' property of the control either in code or in the designer. when you run the program you should be able to view the pdf doc in the vb form with most of the options you get in adobe reader. Here is how you would alter the 'src' property in code.

Code Snippet

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

AdobeReader.src = "C:\mydoc.pdf"

End Sub

Hope this helps

Matt

Saturday, June 23, 2007 4:42 AM
  • I just tried to do this in an ASP.NET 2.0 application and after selecting Adobe PDF Reader from the COM components list, it came to the toolbox as disabled.  I don't seem to be able to drag it onto the project.

Is there some other setup needed?  I do have adobe reader installed on my machine, and it comes up in a regular web browser whenever I load a pdf.  I've tried adding project references to the adobe dll's but this doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Thanks in advance,
    Anye
    Friday, June 29, 2007 4:24 PM
  • Hi there Anye,

the method i talked about earlier is for reading a pdf file within a vb.net windows application and not asp.net 2.0. To read a pdf in asp.net 2.0 just point a hyperlink straight to the pdf file and it should just open it within the browser no questions asked (provided you have adobe installed). Hope this helps

Matthew

Friday, July 06, 2007 7:17 AM
  •  

I have the same question ... how to programatically (via code) open / display a .pdf file using VB.NET in the ASP.NET 2.0 environment. Thanks!
    Monday, August 27, 2007 10:15 PM
  • I attempted to load this file after following the steps you provided, and I get an error stating that AdobeReader is not declared. I am new to VB and do not know the proper steps to achieve viewing a .pdf file from a visual basic application. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU

Vince

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Hi Matt

When I am running @ the command prompt of window the pdf (or any extention of) file name , it search the respective program and run. I am using Powerbuilder 10, I need to know any API call that make me enable to do that with in the code (if i am going to mention the program name i.e. Run ("acrobat.exe profile.pdf")  it will run. But the problem is file could be text , jpg , bmp , or any user define file.....

Thanks in Advance

Rizvi

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:14 AM
  • hey Vince,
    'AdobeReader' was the name of the control that reads the pdf file. You dont have to call it 'AdobeReader' that's why it's being flagged as not declared. In the space of 'AdobeReader' put the name of the Adobe control that you drag from the tool box.
    Matt
    Monday, January 14, 2008 11:00 AM
  • Hey Matt,

This is great.  But now I want to DEPLOY and the dang reader comes up blank when I run the program from an install of the .exe.  Do I need to do something special in by build do get the reader to deploy with the software? The form displays with a blank box where the reader should be, and when I invoke a pdf to load (click a button) I get nothing.

Nettie

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:52 PM
  •  

AdobeReader.src="C:\mydoc.pdf"

End Sub

THANKS A TON!  This worked like a dream!  Just remember to rename the adobe object to AdobeReader or replace AdobeReader with whatever name you selected.  I took this further with an OpenFileDialog and ended up just putting
    this in as my code:

AdobeReader.src=openFileDialog1.FileName

Now now to get the adobe object size to adjust to screen sizes.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:28 PM
  • " Now now to get the adobe object size to adjust to screen sizes."

Could you just set the dock to fill on the AdobeReader, and the make the window state maximized?
    asfd
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Private Sub frmMain_Resize(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e as System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Resize
        pdfOutput.Size = Me.Size
    End Sub

This is what I used when I resized my viewer.
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 11:04 PM
  • When I follow your instructions and add the adobe control, it appears in the toolbox, but is greyed out.

Am I missing something ? I have confirmed that the Acrobat reader is installed.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 7:49 PM
  • When I used the hyperlink method, I was prompted to Open or Save the PDF. Is there a way around this window ??

Thanks,

Oz

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Is it possible to use this control in such a way that the PDF is saved in the resources folder or some other application folder? Can you open it from an self contained application folder rather than a folder on the user's computer?
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Use the following statment:

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(MyFile.pdf)

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Hi MrChen,

I tried this method but at runtime I get an exception stating that the class is not registered. Im using Visual Studio 2008. Plz help me 

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Thanks A Ton .. It Is really helpful.. it is working.. thank you so much Button event then add WebBrowser from the tool box.. Apply this coding on the button Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click Process.Start("D:\book.pdf") ' Approach 1 WebBrowser1.Navigate("D:\book.pdf") ' Approach 2 AdobeReader.src = "D:\book.pdf" ' Approach 3: Add Reference to COM component: Adobe pdf Reader End Sub
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I am also tryign this...tryign to add the Adobe PDF reader control...it comes in but its grayed out WHY?

How do I endable the control in my toolbox?

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hi

Is there any way to show the pdf documents in the windows forms application with out depending IE and the Acrobat Reader installed on the target system, because when the client machines gets updated either for the OS or Adobe Acrobat currently the application is not working as expected, so  I need to have this feature implementation with out using these two components IE and Acrobat Reader

Regards,

Chennas

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:47 AM
  • This is great info but in VS2012 the Adobe PDF Reader control is grayed out and cannot be dragged over into an aspx or vb file.  Is there a way to enable it?

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, March 07, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Like many others have stated in this article the proposed solution does not work when the Adobe PDF Reader control is grayed out and cannot be dragged over into an aspx or vb file.  Is there a way to enable it?

If you are providing a response that is supposed to be a solution to the initial post "How i can open pdf file in vb.net application" please address this particular item as it appears to be a very common problem for developers.

SOTATS, Inc.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:59 PM
  • adobe pdf reader is not in COM components what can i do please help me
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 7:21 AM
  • Hi Matt,

I did what you mentioned above, but as I try to open my application in another PC it's not working, would you please let me know what should I do?

Kind regards,

Ehsan 

5 hours 7 minutes ago