none
Odd issue/bug with description and an underscore "_" for class implementing ICodeAction

Question

• I have a CodeAction class that implement ICodeAction.  If I set the description of this code action to something that contains one or more  underscores (e.g. "Convert to CONSTANT_CASE" ) the first instance of any underscore is always stripped out of the description when you view this code action in the Roslyn Visualizer in side of VS.Net 2010.  In this example the visualizer would display "Convert to CONSTANTCASE".

If you had something with multiple underscores only the first one is removed.

Not sure if this is where I should report bugs, if not please point me in the correct direction.

• Edited by chekm8 Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:29 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:29 PM

Answers

• I think this is not a bug, but actually a feature. The underscore is often used to indicate that the next letter can be used as a keyboard mnemonic and I'm quite sure that is the case here.
    • Edited by svick Friday, April 06, 2012 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by chekm8 Friday, April 27, 2012 3:08 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:00 PM

All replies

• I think this is not a bug, but actually a feature. The underscore is often used to indicate that the next letter can be used as a keyboard mnemonic and I'm quite sure that is the case here.
    • Edited by svick Friday, April 06, 2012 12:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by chekm8 Friday, April 27, 2012 3:08 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Seems like a dumb feature to have in a tooltip :)   Well....I guess it could be a context menu technically...But if I place the underscore before a letter it does not underline that letter indicating that it is a mnemonic.  I tested that if you bring up the context menu and tap the letter that follows the underscore in the code it does perform the action.  Looks like your correct....

I guess the bug is that it does not underline the letter....also would be a nice feature to be able to ignore the underscore.  Currently I am using a double underscore to work around the issue.  Guess I could also just place one at the beginning of the string or something.

Is this forum the correct place to discuss bugs or is there a better place to report them?  I have a couple more that are legit bugs.

• Edited by chekm8 Friday, April 06, 2012 12:27 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Hi chekm8. Please feel free to discuss bugs / issues on this forum. However, the best place to report bugs would be through Connect (click on Submit Bug and then click on Microsoft Roslyn CTP). Bugs reported through Connect show up as pending work in our internal bug database. Additionally, logging issues through Connect would give you a chance to stay in the loop about the issue and know when / how it is fixed. You can also add a link to the issue on this forum post so that future visitors who find this forum post through online search will also be able to find the Connect bug.

If you don't wish to log / track the issue through connect, just let me know and I can open a bug internally on your behalf for this issue (but you won't be able to track the status of the issue)...

Shyam Namboodiripad | Software Development Engineer in Test | Roslyn Compilers Team

Friday, April 06, 2012 9:20 PM
    Owner