none
Setting multiple margins in a Word document

Question

• Hi Cindy,

Is it possible to stablish different margins in a document independent of the amount of text used in the template for the smart document?

I'll explain better with my current scenario:

We're working on a smart document solution for legal documents. It's really important to follow the style standards for this kind of documents. So the standard is something like "First page of the document has this margins: top:4, right: 3, bottom: 3, left: 4. For the Second page and foward margins are: top:3, right: 3, bottom: 3, left: 4."

Since it's an smart document, lots of text will appear or disappear in the first and second page of the document, so if i break it in sections it doesn't work the way it should (the first section may grow in size and i need the margins to be attached to the page!)

any ideas?

thanks a lot for your time!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 7:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Maclau

Usually, the best thing to do for the described scenario is to activate the option "Different First Page". This will allow you to define the header and footer areas of the document differently. This difference does not extend to the margins, but you can include something (an invisible graphic, for example) in one of the headers or footers that will give this effect. For your scenario you could place a (narrow) graphic in the header for the first page that has the effect of "pushing" the text down that additional centimeter (or inch). Just make sure to format it with the text wrap "Top and Bottom".

Since it will be in the header, it's unlikely a user will accidentally move it. But if you want to be sure you can have your code check for its presence and its position before saving, closing or printing - whatever is appropriate.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Maclau

Usually, the best thing to do for the described scenario is to activate the option "Different First Page". This will allow you to define the header and footer areas of the document differently. This difference does not extend to the margins, but you can include something (an invisible graphic, for example) in one of the headers or footers that will give this effect. For your scenario you could place a (narrow) graphic in the header for the first page that has the effect of "pushing" the text down that additional centimeter (or inch). Just make sure to format it with the text wrap "Top and Bottom".

Since it will be in the header, it's unlikely a user will accidentally move it. But if you want to be sure you can have your code check for its presence and its position before saving, closing or printing - whatever is appropriate.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:03 PM
  • umm thanks!

didn't thought of that, i was hoping there was something about the functionality of word that i wasn't getting right, or maybe some proven experience that it could work by code.

it's a good simple idea that works Smile

thank you a thousand times!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 12:34 PM