none
float to integer conversion

Question

• I'm currently using VC7.  My code does _lots_ of float-to-integer conversions of all types: single and double precision to both signed and unsigned, byte, word and doubleword.

I'm experimenting with the various compiler directives that might improve performance.  /arch:SSE has the benefit of allowing the compiler to use the cvtss2si instruction under some circumstances.  However, it still calls one of the _ftol intrinsics (or inlines equivalent code) when converting to unsigned data types.

Further, I find that when converting from float to unsigned long, the compiler _sometimes_ generates code that converts any value above UINT_MAX/2 to UINT_MAX/2. 

The following code:

#include
    "stdafx.h"

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
    unsigned long
    r = 1;
    float
    f = 3.0e9;
    for (int
    i=0; i<3; i++)
    {
    r *= (unsigned long
    )f;
    f *= 1.234f;
    }
    return
    r;
    }

... can demonstrate some of these issues.  Converting 3x10^9 to an unsigned long should produce 0xB2D05E00 and this should be the value of r after the first iteration.  If compiled with /arch:SSE the float-to-long is done with a call to _ftol2 and the result is correct.  With /arch:SSE2 the code is inlined and it produces the result 0x8000000.  I have also seen the compiler generate this code when using /arch:SSE, but cannot reproduce this in a simple example.

Can anyone tell me (a) the recommended way to get the best performance for float-to-integer (unguarded) conversions, (b) whether the problem above is a known bug, and (c) whether this area is changed at all in the 2005 compiler.

Thanks!

Phil Atkin

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• The problem above could be a known bug that got fixed. If you need to make sure, you can report the bug at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/default.aspx

I just tried using VC2005 with your posted sample and it seems to behave as expected even with /arch:SSE2.

The whole floating point area has changed a lot in VC2005. VC2005 intrdouces a whole new FP model where the programmer will have more control over the FP optmizaitons performed by the compiler. Take a look at the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/floapoint.asp where the new model is explained in details.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
      Ayman Shoukry
      VC++ Team
    Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:09 PM
  • Thanks very much.  It seems that the 'report the bug' link you provided is only for feedback about the latest VC2005 builds - how should I use it to ask a question about a possible bug in VC7?

The new model for floating point in VC2005 looks excellent and I think I won't waste any more time trying to squeeze the last drop of performance out of VC7.

Thanks again,

Phil Atkin
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:50 AM