none
Where to find WPF Designers?

Question

• A key feature of WPF is the possibility to separate the work of the designer and the developer. Developers like me don't have the skills of a designer. So it would be great to cooperate with an experienced designer using Expression tools. But where are they? We have already contacted some companies providing software development services and also design services. But whenever we go into detail, the designers don't have experience with Expression tools. 
    What is wrong? Is there no market for WPF designers, is there no market yet? Is it just a dream of ideal designer/developer cooperation. Is there something missing to move photoshop/illustrator/flash designers to Blend?

Does anyone know a company to outsource WPD designer tasks?

Thanks Hans-Peter

Monday, June 29, 2009 8:40 PM

Answers

• It is getting easier all the time to find people who know Expression Blend and the WPF/Silverlight platform, but for the most part, you will have to grow these skills yourself. It is this reason that makes me such a fan of the developer/designer/integrator workflow.

The recent Hiking Mt. Avalon MIX09 workshop, the beginning of Part 2, Collaboration, was all about this issue ... and I recommend you watching it ... it is excellent! Robby Ingebretsen kicks it off with a great explanation of the aforementioned developer/designer/integrator workflow.

Here are two StackOverflow questions (one and two) on the matter as well.

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hey Hans-Peter,

The inability to find such resources has been one of the criticisms that MS has had in this arena.

We have worked with a couple of designers with video background, particularly After Effects and Flash.  These guys have capabilities in scripting and understand some of the development challenges.  They are also up-to-speed very quickly in Blend.  You're not looking for a PhotoShop guy, though: you need someone with interactivity experience.  The best guys we have worked with have experience making kiosks.

I am currenly unaware of any outsource design firms that are doing this type of work.  If you go looking, try to find someone local.  We did experience some troubles in getting a good workflow going and we had the guys in our office.

Hope this helps some!

Cheers,
    -jc

Me, coding and stuff: Mr. James
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:46 PM
  • That's what most would like to see (including myself).  Separation of designer and developer roles makes it easier and yield better end results, but in real world it is very rare to see this happening.  I think most early adopters of WPF end up working both as a designer and developer due to resource constraints and that usually means less attention to design and more to functionality itself to get the product out asap.

I've worked as a flash developer for over a year, and I was introduced to Blend awhile back when I started working with WPF.  I think the main problem here is that the market is slowly moving towards implementing WPF itself, so its difficult to find the right people with skills.

-Malav

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:06 PM
  • It is getting easier all the time to find people who know Expression Blend and the WPF/Silverlight platform, but for the most part, you will have to grow these skills yourself. It is this reason that makes me such a fan of the developer/designer/integrator workflow.

The recent Hiking Mt. Avalon MIX09 workshop, the beginning of Part 2, Collaboration, was all about this issue ... and I recommend you watching it ... it is excellent! Robby Ingebretsen kicks it off with a great explanation of the aforementioned developer/designer/integrator workflow.

Here are two StackOverflow questions (one and two) on the matter as well.

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Tuesday, July 07, 2009 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Thanks for all of your comments!

Hans-Peter
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 9:56 AM
  • Hi Hans-Peter,

you could post your question in the Blend forum too. Maybe you find your designer (designing developer) there.

http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/blend/threads

Hope it Helps.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:41 AM