none
How to overrides Internet Explorer Access Keys in XBAP

Question

• Hi.. In a xbap have some buttons with some AccessText that works fine, even for those access key that

are already used by IExplorer like the 'F' in File. In this case if the xbap is in focus the xbap

receives the Alt+F, if any of the controls of the IExplorer has the focus (like the address bar)

IExplorer recevies the Alt+F and the File menu is displayed, wich works for me.

BUT, Alt+C always displays down the favorites bar. Seems to be un-overridable by the AccessText tag.

Is it possible to overrides this?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Nestor,

Unfortunately the reality is not all IE keyboard shortcuts can be intercepted, or even received by .xbaps.  This is because IE gets first crack at input coming to its window, regardless of who has focus.  If it choses not to propagate a message, we can't do anything about it. 

I have encountered this problem before myself.  However, it wouldn't really be a good user experience if you COULD override an arbitrary keyboard shortcut, as users do best with similar key combinations representing similar behaviors. (one reason why IE and other browsers support so many similar shortcuts). 

I recommend using a site like this one (the IE official site is less complete):

http://sandarenu.blogspot.com/2007/04/internet-explorer-7-keyboard-shortcuts.html 

... to decide how to handle keyboard shortcuts in your app.  In my experience, only trial and error will tell you for sure whether IE handles it and doesnt pass it down, or handles it AND passes it down to the .xbap.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Nestor,

Unfortunately the reality is not all IE keyboard shortcuts can be intercepted, or even received by .xbaps.  This is because IE gets first crack at input coming to its window, regardless of who has focus.  If it choses not to propagate a message, we can't do anything about it. 

I have encountered this problem before myself.  However, it wouldn't really be a good user experience if you COULD override an arbitrary keyboard shortcut, as users do best with similar key combinations representing similar behaviors. (one reason why IE and other browsers support so many similar shortcuts). 

I recommend using a site like this one (the IE official site is less complete):

http://sandarenu.blogspot.com/2007/04/internet-explorer-7-keyboard-shortcuts.html 

... to decide how to handle keyboard shortcuts in your app.  In my experience, only trial and error will tell you for sure whether IE handles it and doesnt pass it down, or handles it AND passes it down to the .xbap.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Thank you and, sadly again, not what I wanted to hear.

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:14 PM
  • Hi!

What about localized versions of IE. Do I they have different shortcuts in different languages?

If so, is it at all possible to develop a partial trust XBAP that uses AccessText, and works in all language versions of IE?

It seems from the list, that using key ALT+(0-9 ) will not conflict (at least for the english version) with any IE shortcuts.

If it turs out the using 0-9 is the best way. How should I implement it?

<Button>_1 Modify</Button> 

would do it, but I would prefer to also hide the "1" until the ALT key is pressed. (Of course, what I really want is to be able to use "_Modify", but unfortunatly the ALT-M is recognized by IE)

Thanks for any suggestions

Larsi

• Edited by Larsi Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:51 PM k
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Alt+J combination is not working in WPF. Any idea from you please?

And also one more issue is that, My .XBAP page is having Menu like File, Tools, Help etc. When i press Alt key, the file menu is getting focus even though File menu item is not having any Access key specified as _File. I know that always the Menu firts item will always get focus when we press Alt key. This is default. but How to stop this? so that when i press Alt key the the deafult IE's File menu should get focus instead of my application File menu.

Karuna.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:38 AM