none
VS 2010 in a Virtual Machine

Question

• I have VS 2010 loaded in an XP VM.  When I start VS to debug a NEW ASP.Net 4.0 C# MasterPage app, I get the following message 3-4 times before I can actually debug my app:

Unable to start program 'http://localhost:3138/Default.aspx

It leaves an IE window open and white which I have to go into task manager and kill.  I am not the only one getting this.

*** Please allow me to mark threads as answered and I will, Thank you ***

Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi ski_freak,

If it is related to the VM Environment, I’m afraid that it is out of support range of VS Debugger forum.

Maybe you could try to re-install the VM Environment, and check it again, anyway, if we could make sure that it is related to the VM, to help you find the correct forum for this issue, I suggest you post an issue to question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Others are working in a VM and on other applications and they are getting it as well.

If the same app worked well in other VM machines, I'm afraid that it is related to your Environment. If other apps worked well when you debug it in your VM, for example, a simple console app or a simple asp.net app, we could make sure that it is not the VS issue. Maybe you could create a new app again. In addition, to make sure that whether it is related to other tools, for example, the firewall, the anti-virus software or other third party tools, please close them.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hi ski_freak,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

To make sure that whether it is the VS debugger tool issue, could you try to run your app with “Start Without Debugging (Ctrl+F5)”, if it still has the same issue, I doubt that it is related to this specific app, maybe you could try to check it in other machine. You could also post this issue to http://forums.asp.net where asp.net experts live in like this thread, and there you would get dedicated support.

But if the same app worked well in other machine, I doubt that it is related to your VS.

1. Please make sure that you install the VS2010 SP1.
    2. Reset you VS settings under Tools->Import and Export Settings, after these, you can create a new project in a new workspace to avoid if there’re any problems of the old workspace settings.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:45 AM
  • As I stated in my original post, I am not the only one getting this.  It appears to be VM related because I had someone else run my app on their laptop with no issues.  I also have SP1 installed.

Friday, February 22, 2013 12:54 PM
  • Hi ski_freak,

Glad to receive your reply.

Whether all web app have the same issue? As my understanding, the VM will not impact the app. Since this forum is to discuss the VS debugger tool, if possible, I suggest you create a simple app, and then debug it again, if all apps have the same issue, I doubt that it is related to your VS setup, or it is related to your VM.

1. If possible, you could try to check it in other XP VM, if it worked well, so we could make sure that whether it is related to the Environment.
    2. One idea is that you could try to repair your VS, since I doubt that it is related to your VS setup.

But if just the specific app has this issue, as my previous reply, I suggest you post this issue to the ASP.net forum, so we could make sure that whether it is related to your VM or the project.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:16 AM
  • As I stated in my original post, I am not the only one getting this.  Others are working in a VM and on other applications and they are getting it as well.

Hope this helps

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:50 PM
  • I understand that you are not the only one having the problem.

However, I didn't see the answer to the question of this happens outside the debugger.  Try pushing Ctrl-F5 (start without debugging) and see if you still have the problem.  If so, the problem is with ASP.net development server and not the debugger and you'll get better information at http://forums.asp.net as Jack Zhai suggested above.

Patrick Nelson - Developer - Visual Studio Debugger Team

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Seems to work not running debug.  It also seems to be VM related but I don't know how to confirm/test that theory.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Also, noticed when I KILL the IE sessions, it has 2 and I kill 1 and the 2nd one goes.  Maybe some info, maybe not

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Hi ski_freak,

If it is related to the VM Environment, I’m afraid that it is out of support range of VS Debugger forum.

Maybe you could try to re-install the VM Environment, and check it again, anyway, if we could make sure that it is related to the VM, to help you find the correct forum for this issue, I suggest you post an issue to question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Others are working in a VM and on other applications and they are getting it as well.

If the same app worked well in other VM machines, I'm afraid that it is related to your Environment. If other apps worked well when you debug it in your VM, for example, a simple console app or a simple asp.net app, we could make sure that it is not the VS issue. Maybe you could create a new app again. In addition, to make sure that whether it is related to other tools, for example, the firewall, the anti-virus software or other third party tools, please close them.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:25 AM