none
Problem writing to a file (C#)

Question

• I'm having a problem writing to some log files.  I'm in the process of debugging a multithreaded windows service I've been writing to monitor a remote ftp server for new files, download them, decrypt, unzip, and sort to another remote drive.

The problem I'm having is regarding the log files that I'm using:

The first time it writes, it writes to the file with no problems, like so:

10:07 AM - Connected to *server removed*
    10:07 AM - 0 file(s) available.

On each subsequent write, it will garble the last line of the file that was already there, and then write a new entry like above:

9:07 AM - Connected to *server removed*
    9:0-¿EÓFG$¬jw2P[‚ÛH¾’½£Ö¯ð¢!˜N

9:26 AM - Connected to *server removed*
    9:26 AM - 0 file(s) avÀewóBQ‰�    &ÿV

9:27 AM - Connected to *server removed*
    9:27 AM -™W4�â“L?¨—ˆä­Õ¯�lxÕ)»žmø

9:47 AM - Connected to *server removed*
    9:47 AM - 0 file(s) availablO E<Ð(

10:07 AM - Connected to *server removed*
    10:07 AM - 0 file(s) available.

Note that the last write is perfectly legible, but each previous write has been garbled.

The code I'm using to create the file:
                    if (!Directory.Exists(curPath) && serviceStarted)
                        Directory.CreateDirectory(curPath);
                    if (serviceStarted)
                    {
                        if (!File.Exists(curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt"))
                        {
                            downloadLogFile = new FileStream(curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt", FileMode.Create, FileAccess.Write, FileShare.Write);
                            downloadLogFile.Close();
                            sw_ftp = new StreamWriter(curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt", true, Encoding.ASCII);
                        }

else
                        {
                            downloadLogFile = new FileStream(curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt", FileMode.Append, FileAccess.Write, FileShare.Write);
                            downloadLogFile.Close();
                            lock (sw_ftp)
                            {
                                sw_ftp.WriteLine("\r\n");
                            }
                        }
                    }

Then I subsequently write to the file using further sw_ftp.WriteLine("") statements.  At the end of the loop, I call sw_ftp.Close().

I've searched all over the internet looking for something similar but haven't had much luck.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 4:17 PM

Answers

• >....just occurred to me that i'm having an issue on my box with trying to install .net framework 3.0, windowsupdate just fails with a generic error code, i wonder if my existing .net framework is corrupted and the code is fine*?

Are you targetting .Net 2 but installing .Net 3? It should not matter...but having problems with a .Net install is unusuall. I recommend that you try the code on a seperate machine. If the code works you know its the environment. If it behaves the same...its the code.

As to threading, I have written some articles on my blog which may be of help
    One suggestion, having this run as a service just adds a complexity, why not create a console application which does the same thing? That might help you isolate the issue quicker....also having to move it to a console application will make the code more portable.

>I have a degree in programming but as far as real world programming experience i'm rather unexperienced... and i'm not exactly working with a group of programmers to give feedback either.

We have all been there, the fact that you are open to suggestion places you ahead of some of the ego-card carrying programmers I have worked with. I would hire you in an instant. But alos you do have people you can bounce ideas off of; its this forum!  Keep posting to the forums and it will be a learning experiance. I guarentee it! I wish I had this forum when I started out back in the early nineties. <g>

Take baby steps with your application by breaking little things out. Classes and interactions will become easier and will fall into place.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 8:30 PM

All replies

• The downloadLogFile variable is useless. All you're doing there is creating/opening the file and immediately closing it afterwards. The use of sw_ftp already does that job for you.

I'd have to venture a guess that by the time you open the file for append mode, something has already corrupted it, or you have a bad disk. The code you're using (except for the superfluous code mentioned above) looks fine for appending more data to the file.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:22 PM
  • You mentioned that this is multi-threaded. Do you have the log write process on its own thread and it receives messages by extracting them from the queue which has been made thread safe by locks? Or is each thread responsible for writing to the log? If you are not doing the first method, then I would recommend it...it sounds like your stream is getting corrupted.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:23 PM
  • I do a statement block as follows

lock(sw_ftp)
    {
    sw_ftp.writeline("blah");
    }

every time i need to write to the log file.  According to the spec that should acquire an exclusive right to use sw_ftp for as long as the thread is in that statement block.

The reason I'm not using a separate logging thread is I'm actually running multiple logs for different events (user events, the service writes to the system event log for any state information).  And also because I didn't think of it Wink

But given that I'm locking the streamwriter each time I need to write something it doesn't make sense to me that that the threading is the issue, unless i'm doing something wrong on that front
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:34 PM
  • Unless each thread is locking on the same object, they're not cooperating. I suspect that one thread's sw_ftp reference is pointing to a different object than another's. It doesn't matter that they're all ending up writing to the same file. You're locking objects here, not physical files.

On another note, this kind of thing (logging messages) is what a good logging framework, such as Log4Net or Microsoft's logging application block, is for. They've already accounted for multi-threaded use. You're basically reinventing the wheel here.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:46 PM
  • sw_ftp's declaration:

private static StreamWriter sw_ftp;

ie it is a class-level private variable.

Re: your previous post, i redid the file creation section as follows:
    bool newFile;

if (serviceStarted)
                    {
                        if (File.Exists(curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt"))
                            newFile = true;
                        else
                            newFile = false;
                        if (!newFile)
                    }
    the writelinemakes no difference to the garbling of the text, i tried with and without, however allowing the streamwriter to create/open the file still garbles the last line of the file. 
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Re: your previous post, i redid the file creation section as follows:

I never claimed that would fix the garbling; it was a side-note that you had superfluous code with the usage of both FileStream and StreamWriter objects.

Are you sure you're not writing to this physical file in another way outside of using the shared sw_ftp reference?

Are you sure you're initializing sw_ftp once and only once during the lifetime of this application?

And again, please consider throwing this away and using a nice free logging framework which will do the job for you.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:04 PM
  • I need it to log to actual txt files, not to the windows event log, as the files in question are sent as attachments in emails.  I am writing service state information (service started, exceptions, etc) to the windows event log already.  I'm wanting a very simple, clean, user-friendly text doc that somebody who's never seen an event log (or even knows they exist) can understand what it's telling them.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  phoenixhawke wrote:
    I need it to log to actual txt files, not to the windows event log, as the files in question are sent as attachments in emails.  I am writing service state information (service started, exceptions, etc) to the windows event log already.  I'm wanting a very simple, clean, user-friendly text doc that somebody who's never seen an event log (or even knows they exist) can understand what it's telling them.

Logging frameworks can write to simple text files. It looks like you believe they only write to the event log. That is not the case.

Plus, they'll handle rolling files over by date or size as well, so you don't have to worry about an ever-growing file problem. Your current solution is going to keep adding more and more messages to a single file. Have you thought about the problem that introduces when it gets bigger than a manageable size?

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Cool... I appreciate the suggestion and I'll look into that for the next build but for the moment i need to get this working in it's current design, without rewriting the whole thing.  So, setting aside third party logging code for now, what would be causing this issue? 

Incidentally sw_ftp is used in an ftpmonitor thread, which conditionally spawns 3 sub-threads to simultaneously download files from the ftp site.  These sub-threads also use it, but it is not used anywhere else in the code.  This issue crops up regardless of whether the download threads are spawned.

Also, curPath is in the format 10092007, as of midnight it will automatically roll over to 10102007 and create new log files
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Also, curpath is in the format 10092007, as of midnight it will automatically roll over to 10102007 and create new log files

That tells me you are creating new StreamWriter objects at multiple occasions in the code. So I'd have to now guess that your threads are probably not in fact cooperating with (locking) the same object. If sw_ftp was referencing one StreamWriter object and a thread locks it, but another thread sets sw_ftp to reference a new or different StreamWriter object (forget that all these objects are talking to the same physical file, they're still seperate objects) and locks it, these are two seperate objects so the lock on one doesn't lock out the other.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Here is the full source code for the two functions in question.    Ignoring all of the ftp-related issues, and keeping in mind that sw_ftp is declared as a private static variable and is in scope for both threads.

#region Fn: FTPMonitor()    (Thread!)
            public static void FTPMonitor()
            {
                if (!EventLog.SourceExists("FTP_Monitor"))
                    EventLog.CreateEventSource("FTP_Monitor", eLogName);
                EventLog.WriteEntry("FTP_Monitor", "Started ALS FTP Monitoring Thread\nSee \"" + curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt\" for details");

#region Variable Declarations & Initialization
                downloadPath = curPath + "\\Downloading";
                ArrayList ServerFileList, FileNames;
                FileNames = new ArrayList();
                string FileInfo = "";
                string[] parts = new string[14];
                bool fileStarted = false, newFile = false;
                downloads = new Thread[3];
                int filecount;
                filesProcessed = 0;
                numFilesDownloaded = 0;
                string oldDownloadPath = "";
                #endregion

while (serviceStarted)
                {
                    #region Account for possibility of a change in directories while files are still being downloaded
                    oldDownloadPath = downloadPath;
                    if (!oldDownloadPath.Equals(downloadPath))
                    {
                        foreach (string pgpFile in Directory.GetFiles(oldDownloadPath + "\\..\\"))
                            if (pgpFile.EndsWith(".pgp"))
                                File.Move(pgpFile, downloadPath + "\\..\\" + pgpFile.Split('\\')[pgpFile.Split('\\').Length]);
                    }
                    #endregion

#region Ftp Log

if (serviceStarted)
                    {
                            newFile = false;
                        else
                            newFile = true;
                        if (!newFile)
                    }
                    #endregion

try
                    {
                        FTPLib[0] = new FTP(FtpLogInServer, FtpLoginName, FtpPass);

lock (FTPLib[0])
                        {
                            downloads[0] = downloads[1] = downloads[2] = null;

#region Connect
                            if (!FTPLib[0].IsConnected && serviceStarted)
                            {
                                FTPLib[0].Connect();
                                lock (sw_ftp)
                                {
                                    sw_ftp.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToShortTimeString() + " - Connected to " + FTPLib[0].server);
                                }
                            }
                            #endregion

#region Get Server File List
                            ServerFileList = FTPLib[0].ListFiles();
                            filecount = ServerFileList.Count;
                            FTPLib[0].Disconnect();

lock (sw_ftp)
                            {
                                if (filecount > 0 && serviceStarted)
                                {
                                    if (!Directory.Exists(downloadPath))
                                        Directory.CreateDirectory(downloadPath);

now = DateTime.Now;
                                    sw_ftp.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToShortTimeString() + " - New Files Available:\r\n");
                                    foreach (string file in ServerFileList)
                                    {
                                        FileInfo = file.ToString();
                                        parts = FileInfo.Split(' ');
                                        FileNames.Add(parts[parts.Length - 1]);
                                        sw_ftp.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToShortTimeString() + " - " + parts[parts.Length - 1]);
                                    }

}
                                sw_ftp.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToShortTimeString() + " - " + ServerFileList.Count + " file(s) available.\r\n");
                                sw_ftp.Flush();
                            }
                            #endregion

#region Download Files (Threaded for multiple simultaneous downloads)
                            foreach (string remotefile in FileNames)
                            {
                                #region Wait for available thread
                                if (serviceStarted)
                                {
                                    while (!fileStarted && serviceStarted)
                                    {
                                        #region Thread 0
                                        if (downloads[0] == null || !(downloads[0].IsAlive) && serviceStarted)
                                        {
                                            downloads[0] = new Thread(DownloadFile);
                                            downloads[0].Start(remotefile);
                                            //Console.WriteLine("Downloading " + remotefile + " in thread 0");
                                            fileStarted = true;
                                        }
                                        #endregion

#region Thread 1
                                        else if (downloads[1] == null || !(downloads[1].IsAlive) && serviceStarted)
                                        {
                                            downloads[1] = new Thread(DownloadFile);
                                            downloads[1].Start(remotefile);
                                            //Console.WriteLine("Downloading " + remotefile + " in thread 1");
                                            fileStarted = true;
                                        }
                                        #endregion

#region Thread 2
                                        else if (downloads[2] == null || !(downloads[2].IsAlive) && serviceStarted)
                                        {
                                            downloads[2] = new Thread(DownloadFile);
                                            downloads[2].Start(remotefile);
                                            //Console.WriteLine("Downloading " + remotefile + " in thread 2");
                                            fileStarted = true;
                                        }
                                        #endregion

#region Thread 3 (inactive code)
                                        //else if (downloads[3] == null || !(downloads[3].IsAlive) && serviceStarted)
                                        //{
                                        //    downloads[3] = new Thread(DownloadFile);
                                        //    downloads[3].Start(remotefile);
                                        //    //Console.WriteLine("Downloading " + remotefile + " in thread 3");
                                        //    fileStarted = true;
                                        //}
                                        #endregion

#region Thread 4 (inactive code)
                                        //else if (downloads[4] == null || !(downloads[4].IsAlive) && serviceStarted)
                                        //{
                                        //    downloads[4] = new Thread(DownloadFile);
                                        //    downloads[4].Start(remotefile);
                                        //    //Console.WriteLine("Downloading " + remotefile + " in thread 4");
                                        //    fileStarted = true;
                                        //}
                                        #endregion

}
                                }
                                #endregion

fileStarted = false;
                            }

#region Wait for all threads to join
                            foreach (Thread download in downloads)
                                if ((download != null) && serviceStarted == true)
                                    download.Join();
                                else if ((download != null) && serviceStarted == false)
                                    download.Join(new TimeSpan(0, 0, 0));
                            #endregion

ServerFileList.Clear();
                            FileNames.Clear();

lock (sw_ftp)
                            {
                                if (filecount > 0 && serviceStarted)
                                sw_ftp.Flush();
                                sw_ftp.Close();
                            }
                            #endregion

#region Log # files downloaded
                            now = DateTime.Now;
                            if (filesProcessed > 0)
                            {
                                #region Create Download Log
                                if (!File.Exists(curPath + "\\DownloadLog.txt"))
                                    downloadLog = new FileStream(curPath + "\\DownloadLog.txt", FileMode.Create, FileAccess.Write, FileShare.Write);
                                else
                                    downloadLog = new FileStream(curPath + "\\DownloadLog.txt", FileMode.Append, FileAccess.Write, FileShare.Write);
                                downloadLog.Close();

sw = new StreamWriter(curPath + "\\DownloadLog.txt", true, Encoding.ASCII);
                                #endregion

#region Write to and close Download Log
                                lock (sw)
                                {
                                    sw.WriteLine(now.ToShortTimeString() + " - Downloaded " + filesProcessed + " files.\r\n");
                                    sw.Flush();
                                    sw.Close();
                                }
                                #endregion
                            }
                            #endregion

#region Sleep if no files downloaded
                            if (filecount == 0 && serviceStarted)
                            {
                                try
                                {
                                    Thread.Sleep(Minutes_to_mS(FTPWaitTime));
                                }
                                catch (ThreadInterruptedException) { }
                            }
                            #endregion
                        }
                    }
                    #region Error Handling
                    catch (Exception e)
                    {
                        EventLog.WriteEntry("FTP_Monitor", e.Message + "\nSource = " + e.Source, EventLogEntryType.Error);
                        lock (sw_ftp)
                        {
                            sw_ftp.Close();
                        }
                    }
                    #endregion
                    finally
                    {
                        FTPLib[0] = null;
                    }

filesProcessed = 0;
                }
            }
            #endregion

#region Fn: DownloadFile(object remotefile)    (Thread!)
            private static void DownloadFile(object remotefile)
            {
                int LibNum = 1;
                try
                {

LibNum = FindUnlockedFtpLib();
                    if (LibNum > 0)
                    {
                        #region Acquire Lock on FTP object
                        FTPLib[LibNum] = new FTP(FtpLogInServer, FtpLoginName, FtpPass);
                        Monitor.TryEnter(FTPLib[LibNum], 30);
                        #endregion

#region Connect
                        string localFilePath = downloadPath + "\\" + remotefile.ToString();
                        if (!FTPLib[LibNum].IsConnected && serviceStarted)
                        {
                            FTPLib[LibNum].Connect();
                            //Console.WriteLine("Connected to " + FTPLib.server + "\n");
                        }
                        #endregion

#region Download File
                        int perc = 0;
                        lock (sw_ftp)
                        {
                            sw_ftp.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToShortTimeString() + " - Downloading " + remotefile.ToString());
                            sw_ftp.Flush();
                        }

if (File.Exists(localFilePath))//if file already exists then download failure, delete and retry
                            File.Delete(localFilePath);//ftplib supports resume but not reliably

FTPLib[LibNum].OpenDownload(remotefile.ToString(), localFilePath, false);
                        while (FTPLib[LibNum].DoDownload() > 0 && serviceStarted)
                        {
                            perc = (int)(((FTPLib[LibNum].BytesTotal) * 100) / FTPLib[LibNum].FileSize);
                        }
                        #endregion

#region Do if download successful
                        if (perc == 100)
                        {
                            FTPLib[LibNum].RemoveFile(remotefile.ToString());
                            lock (sw_ftp)
                            {
                                sw_ftp.WriteLine(DateTime.Now.ToShortTimeString() + " - Download Successful: " + remotefile.ToString());
                            }
                            numFilesDownloaded++;
                            //Console.WriteLine(localFilePath + "\r\n" + curPath + "\\" + remotefile.ToString());
                            File.Move(localFilePath, curPath + "\\" + remotefile.ToString());
                            filesProcessed++;
                        }
                        #endregion
                    }
                    else
                        throw new ArgumentOutOfRangeException("LibNum","Error in Download Thread Processing; too many download threads active");
                }
                #region Error Handling
                catch (Exception e)
                {
                    if (!EventLog.SourceExists("DownloadFile"))
                        EventLog.CreateEventSource("DownloadFile", eLogName);
                    EventLog.WriteEntry("DownloadFile", e.Message + "\nSource = " + e.Source, EventLogEntryType.Error);
                    lock (sw_ftp)
                    {
                        sw_ftp.Flush();
                    }
                }
                #endregion
                finally
                {
                    if (LibNum > 0)
                    {
                        FTPLib[LibNum].Disconnect();
                        Monitor.Exit(FTPLib[LibNum]);
                        FTPLib[LibNum] = null;
                    }
                }
            }
            #endregion

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 6:49 PM
  • An extra tidbit of info - I've been tweaking the code and just stopped the service, rebuilt the project, deleted the log file, then restarted it, and the log (first write) was fine.  I then restarted the service again and the issue popped in again immediately.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 7:40 PM
  • IMHO - Ouch, this code hurts to read and hence it hurts to maintain.

I would recommend that you break up this code into objects with predefined actions. One start is to break out the logging into a class and create the locks and other items of need within the class. That way you are assured that the locking does happen on a consistent basis. While looking at the code, you have multiple writes with multiple locking mechanisms. By placing it into a class it becomes more manageable and less prone to bizzare tweaks.

Also by breaking it out you can unit test the logging class with different tests to verify it does what it is designed for...sorry I can't provide a smoking gun, maybe someone else can, but code such as this has inherent problems which broken down unit tested code, is less prone to.

Two nick picks about the code, beside the global nit pick given. <g>

1. Change :

newFile = false;
                          else
                              newFile = true;

to

newFile =
      !File.Exists(curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt");

2. Get into the habit of targeting the carriage return / line feeds to be automatic by using Environment.Newline. Change:

to

sw_ftp.WriteLine(Environment.NewLine);

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 7:49 PM
  • I have a degree in programming but as far as real world programming experience i'm rather unexperienced... and i'm not exactly working with a group of programmers to give feedback either.  This is my first attempt at threaded programming (excepting a project using pthreads back in college) as well as my first stab at doing anything in C# (previous experience is almost exclusively C++).

That said, I certainly see what you're saying about breaking things into separate classes and whatnot, i'm just not really sure how to make multiple classes interact with each other.  So far I've written this as one mega-class with a bunch of separate functions (essentially an old-school c++ project with some threaded tweaks added in, wrapped in a class).  So - Given all that i think this little bit of spaghetti code is pretty good :-P

Definitely needs work though.  I've learned quite a lot in the process of doing this, and my next build will likely be quite the rewrite.

But I still am not getting why on earth the writeline is messing up the previous data in the file - I just checked what happens if I open the file with no writes, and nothing happens, but then i added

sw_ftp.WriteLine(Environment.NewLine);

and it immediately garbled it.  It just doesn't make sense.

....just occurred to me that i'm having an issue on my box with trying to install .net framework 3.0, windowsupdate just fails with a generic error code, i wonder if my existing .net framework is corrupted and the code is fine*?

Maybe i need to break down and let my buddies at the helpdesk go ahead and reimage the laptop?

*fine being understood as bearing a strong resemblance to a bowl of spaghetti but nevertheless functional
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 8:10 PM
  • >....just occurred to me that i'm having an issue on my box with trying to install .net framework 3.0, windowsupdate just fails with a generic error code, i wonder if my existing .net framework is corrupted and the code is fine*?

Are you targetting .Net 2 but installing .Net 3? It should not matter...but having problems with a .Net install is unusuall. I recommend that you try the code on a seperate machine. If the code works you know its the environment. If it behaves the same...its the code.

As to threading, I have written some articles on my blog which may be of help
    One suggestion, having this run as a service just adds a complexity, why not create a console application which does the same thing? That might help you isolate the issue quicker....also having to move it to a console application will make the code more portable.

>I have a degree in programming but as far as real world programming experience i'm rather unexperienced... and i'm not exactly working with a group of programmers to give feedback either.

We have all been there, the fact that you are open to suggestion places you ahead of some of the ego-card carrying programmers I have worked with. I would hire you in an instant. But alos you do have people you can bounce ideas off of; its this forum!  Keep posting to the forums and it will be a learning experiance. I guarentee it! I wish I had this forum when I started out back in the early nineties. <g>

Take baby steps with your application by breaking little things out. Classes and interactions will become easier and will fall into place.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 8:30 PM
  • heh, you hiring?

This code is intended to solve a specific problem that I deal with on a day-to-day basis (before i wrote this i'd been doing it all manually) but my reason for writing it is primarily to get some experience doing what I actually want to do and move away from direct operational support.  Coding is much, much more interesting and challenging than sitting and monitoring ftp sites..... (plus with work being slow it gives me something productive to do)

This program started out as a series of vbscripts, called by a batch file, and then actually went to being a console app but I ported it over to make it a service... That was an interesting learning experience all by itself, getting it to interact with windows in a friendly manner Smile

In fact, excepting this issue with it not wanting to write pretty log files, the program is actually just about perfect from a pure "does it do what i meant it to do" standpoint.  Just needs to be rewritten four score and 7 times Smile

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:19 PM
  • The project you did is systems integration work. I just finished a contract with a Major Wall Street Investment company where it was primarily systems integration work, instead of a pure software shop. Frankly I did more programming there than the so call software shops I have worked at! Doing such a job you have the target goal of getting it to work, but you have the luxury of architecting it yourself.

As you do more of these projects you will begin to see the benefits of:
    1. Use OO principles to put things into reusable classes.
    2. Test out those classes via unit tests.
    3. Directly re-use the known components/classes created in other projects; thus saving time and not having to debug funky code, because it has been tested and works already.
    Your current code works and that is the goal; but for re-use you will have to cut and paste/ rewrite to make it usable. If you get into the habit of thinking of things as objects, and taking the time to to architect them that way...the payoff in time and testing savings will be the rewarded on the next iteration.

I have a whole toolbox of code widgets, that I have accumulated since .Net 1! I may not reuse the xml pretty print object after my first job where it was created...but it has resurfaced in other jobs. Gives me an edge vs other developers.

Point being keep it up and you will most likely learn the tricks I have alluded to. If your job does not afford you more opportunities for development, leave it for a systems integration work. Be honest on your skills, but let them know you have confidence, and willingness to learn and that will get you the job. Good Luck. Post back to the forums for more help.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:19 AM
  • I think the issue is the way you lock sw_ftp variable. You locked it when you write to it. But you didn't lock it when you instantiate it(See below in red). Other thread may be able to change it between your locks. What you could do is to put the lock around the whole process.

Another thing I notice in your code is that there are some unneccesory checking. For example, when you are in

while (serviceStarted){...} you really don't need to check if (serviceStarted) {...} or if (!Directory.Exists(curPath) && serviceStarted). That makes your code cluttered.

phoenixhawke wrote:
    Here is the full source code for the two functions in question.    Ignoring all of the ftp-related issues, and keeping in mind that sw_ftp is declared as a private static variable and is in scope for both threads.

#region Fn: FTPMonitor()    (Thread!)
            public static void FTPMonitor()
            {
                EventLog.WriteEntry("FTP_Monitor", "Started ALS FTP Monitoring Thread\nSee \"" + curPath + "\\FtpLog.txt\" for details");

#region Variable Declarations & Initialization
                ArrayList ServerFileList, FileNames;
                FileNames = new ArrayList();
                string FileInfo = "";
                string[] parts = new string[14];
                bool fileStarted = false, newFile = false;
                downloads = new Thread[3];
                int filecount;
                filesProcessed = 0;
                numFilesDownloaded = 0;
                string oldDownloadPath = "";
                #endregion

while (serviceStarted)
                {
                    #region Account for possibility of a change in directories while files are still being downloaded
                    oldDownloadPath = downloadPath;
                    if (!oldDownloadPath.Equals(downloadPath))
                    {
                        foreach (string pgpFile in Directory.GetFiles(oldDownloadPath + "\\..\\"))
                            if (pgpFile.EndsWith(".pgp"))
                                File.Move(pgpFile, downloadPath + "\\..\\" + pgpFile.Split('\\')[pgpFile.Split('\\').Length]);
                    }
                    #endregion

#region Ftp Log

if (serviceStarted)
                    {
                            newFile = false;
                        else
                            newFile = true;
                        if (!newFile)
                    }
                    #endregion

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:31 AM
  • It won't let me lock the object until it is instantiated... and the point of locking them and then unlocking them is that the other threads are able to access it to do it's own writes in between (both write to the same file).

checking for "ServiceStarted" is a short-circuit/kill switch for when I need to stop the service.  OnStop() sets this value to false, then waits a few seconds for each of the various worker threads to exit gracefully before tossing a thread.abort their way. 

I'm actually going to rewrite it so that the logging is done by a separate class in the same namespace, and pass messages to that, hopefully that will eliminate the issue altogether... that way i can leave it continuously open until i need to close it and create a new file for the next day's work.  It seems like as long as I don't have to reopen the file and do an append the issue doesn't crop up.  We'll see how that works when I go to stop and restart the service, but i think it'll work better at least.

Question though - i'm not really familiar with how the garbage collector works -- if I just re-initialize a variable that was previously pointing to a given class, how does the garbage collector take care of shutting it down?  Is there a destructor or something that it calls automagically when there are no more variables pointing to the class?  I know it's not the same as c++  when you called a delete or whatever it was (too late at night to remember for sure)
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Ok, problem resolved.  Thanks to those who answered.

I opted to follow the advice to create a separate class to log the files, staying to the same namespace as the other class. Here is the code:

public class Logger
        {
            public enum LogName { FtpLog, SortLog, DownloadLog, BadFileLog };

private StreamWriter ftp, sort, download, badFile;
            private string workPath;
            private bool ftpFirstWrite, sortFirstWrite, downloadFirstWrite;

public Logger(string curPath)
            {
                ftp = sort = download = badFile = null;
                ftpFirstWrite = sortFirstWrite = downloadFirstWrite = true;
                workPath = curPath;
            }

~Logger()
            {
                if (ftp != null)
                    ftp.Close();
                ftp = null;

if (sort != null)
                    sort.Close();
                sort = null;

if (download != null)
                    download.Close();
                download = null;

if (badFile != null)
                    badFile.Close();
                badFile = null;
            }

public bool WriteToLog(string logMessage, LogName whichLog)
            {
                switch (whichLog)
                {
                    #region FtpLog
                    case LogName.FtpLog:
                        if (ftp == null)
                        {
                            ftp = new StreamWriter(workPath + "\\FtpLog.txt", false, Encoding.ASCII);
                            ftp.AutoFlush = true;
                        }
                        ftp.WriteLine(logMessage);
                        ftpFirstWrite = false;
                        return true;
                    #endregion

#region SortLog
                    case LogName.SortLog:
                        if (sort == null)
                        {
                            sort = new StreamWriter(workPath + "\\SortLog.txt", false, Encoding.ASCII);
                            sort.AutoFlush = true;
                        }
                        sort.WriteLine(logMessage);
                        sortFirstWrite = false;
                        return true;
                    #endregion

#region DownloadLog
                    case LogName.DownloadLog:
                        if (download == null)
                        {
                            download = new StreamWriter(workPath + "\\DownloadLog.txt", false, Encoding.ASCII);
                            download.AutoFlush = true;
                        }
                        download.WriteLine(logMessage);
                        downloadFirstWrite = false;
                        return true;
                    #endregion

#region BadFileLog
                    case LogName.BadFileLog:
                        if (badFile == null)
                        {
                            badFile = new StreamWriter(workPath + "\\BadFileLog.txt", false, Encoding.ASCII);
                            badFile.AutoFlush = true;
                        }
                        badFile.WriteLine(logMessage);
                        return true;
                    #endregion

default:
                        return false;
                }
            }

public bool Close()
            {
                try
                {
                    if (ftp != null)
                        ftp.Close();
                    ftp = null;

if (sort != null)
                        sort.Close();
                    sort = null;

if (download != null)
                        download.Close();
                    download = null;

if (badFile != null)
                        badFile.Close();
                    badFile = null;
                    return true;
                }
                catch
                {
                    return false;
                }
            }

public bool isFirstWrite(LogName whichLog)
            {
                switch (whichLog)
                {
                    case LogName.FtpLog:
                        return ftpFirstWrite;
                    case LogName.SortLog:
                        return sortFirstWrite;
                    case LogName.DownloadLog:
                        return downloadFirstWrite;
                    default:
                        return true;
                }
            }
        }

I realize it's uber-specialized for it's purpose and isn't really "portable" to another application but at least it's simple and doesn't garble my output files.

Only problem:  When I stop the process it throws an ObjectDispose exception (or something like that, i cleared it before i wrote this).  How would you prevent that?  I'm running this as an instance.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:26 PM
  • It is a good idea to put the logging in separate class. Then you may use the following method to lock your object.

Code Block

lock(typeOf(YourLoggingClass))

{

if (sw_ftp==null) sw_ftp = new StreamWriter(...);

else

{

sw_ftp.Write(...);

}

}

Yes. My understanding is the Garbage Collector does the magic for you in C#. You don't have to worry about that.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:07 PM
  •  dotnetideas wrote:

It is a good idea to put the logging in separate class. Then you may use the following method to lock your object.

Code Block

lock(typeOf(YourLoggingClass))

{

if (sw_ftp==null) sw_ftp = new StreamWriter(...);

else

{

sw_ftp.Write(...);

}

}

The ideas presented by dotnetideas are all quite valid and the above will work as advertised. I would caution you on any future threading code by locking the whole class or the above way of locking.

The reason is that if the class is locked (via Lock(this)), but has two seperate resources which are distinct and inherently thread safe because they don't interact, if one lock both one of them with the class object motif, then thread 1 accessing resource A is now blocking thread 2 needing to access resource B. This is an unintended side effect...non worst case scenario it slows down the operations...worst case it can setup deadlock condition amonst the threads.

The way to get around it is these options
    1. As you did initially lock the specific resource. But as you saw it cause a problem if the resource was created amonst the threads. If that is the case do option 2.
    2. Create lock objects which will parallel the resource in question. I provide an example on my blog entitled Smart Resource Locking in C# .Net for Thread Safe Code
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Because this is a case of needing access to the logging class for only one operation, i opted to go with a simple lock -> write -> release.  I can definitely see where more complex code might run into problems with deadlock but in this case I don't believe that is possible. 

Of course I've been wrong before lol Smile

I think I have everything working now, I do thank everybody for their assistance
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:49 PM