none
Debug Classic ASP code in Visual studio 2003 or 2005

Question

• Hi

I want to debug Classic ASP application using ViSual studio 2003 or 2005.

How to open the Classic ASP application pages and Folders in Visual studio IDE and debug the code?

what are the settings that need to be changed?

Thanks
    Ashok

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:12 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Visual Studio 2003 supports ASP debugging, please follow the steps below to enable ASP debugging:
    1. Right click the project name and choose properties
    2. Expand Configuration Properties and select Debugging
    3. In the right panel, there's a Debuggers section
    4. Check "ASP Debugging" checkbox.

There is no menu item like File -> Open -> Web site in Visual Studio 2003, however, there are couple of ways to open the project:
    To open the application in a structured way in Visual Studio 2003:
    1. Please go to <Drive>:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\<SolutionName>
    2. Find the project name and double click to open it.

If there's no solution file (.sln) there, that's not matter, please go to the application's folder and check if there's a project file (.proj).
    If there's no project file, then I sugest you open the asp page directly in Visual Studio 2003 and then attach our debugger to the aspnet_wp.exe process.

Best regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    • Edited by Roahn Luo Friday, August 28, 2009 9:04 AM path.
    • Marked as answer by Roahn Luo Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:25 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Which version of Visual Studio do you currently use, Visual Studio 2003 or Visual Studio 2005?
    It's more complicated to debug classic ASP pages in Visual Studio 2005 since it is not designed for that. Please follow the steps below to debug a classic ASP page:
     1. Open the IIS manager and find the web site, right click the project name and choose Properties
     2. Select the Directory tab and then click the Configuration... button
     3. Click Debugging tab on the opened dialog box
     4. Check Enable ASP server-side script debugging, if you need, please check Enable ASP client-side script debugging
     5. Click OK button
     (If you use IIS 7, please tell me, settings in IIS7 is a little bit different.)

Another issue we need to mention is to choose aspnet_wp.exe/w3wp.exe to attach to, and make sure that it is the Script code beening attached to.

Other references:
    Debugging Classic ASP Code: http://blogs.msdn.com/greggm/archive/2006/03/15/552108.aspx
    How to Debug Classic ASP pages in VS2005: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2005/06/24/432308.aspx

Best regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hi

thanks for your reply.  I am using VS 2003 and IIS v5.1.  I am able to Enable ASP server-side script debugging in IIS.

How to open ASP code in VS studio .NET IDE. I have ASP pages in Folders/ Subfolders. One page will call another page in a sub folder.

How to open the ASP applications in Visual studio with the same folder structure and debug the code?

thanks
    Ashok
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:45 AM
  • Hello,

Visual Studio 2003 supports ASP debugging, please follow the steps below to enable ASP debugging:
    1. Right click the project name and choose properties
    2. Expand Configuration Properties and select Debugging
    3. In the right panel, there's a Debuggers section
    4. Check "ASP Debugging" checkbox.

There is no menu item like File -> Open -> Web site in Visual Studio 2003, however, there are couple of ways to open the project:
    To open the application in a structured way in Visual Studio 2003:
    1. Please go to <Drive>:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\<SolutionName>
    2. Find the project name and double click to open it.

If there's no solution file (.sln) there, that's not matter, please go to the application's folder and check if there's a project file (.proj).
    If there's no project file, then I sugest you open the asp page directly in Visual Studio 2003 and then attach our debugger to the aspnet_wp.exe process.

Best regards,
    • Edited by Roahn Luo Friday, August 28, 2009 9:04 AM path.
    • Marked as answer by Roahn Luo Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:25 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Hello Ashok,

Have you followed the steps I provided, could we debug the classic ASP pages now? If there are any problem, please feedback to us when you feel free.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:25 AM
  • Im Using IIS 7
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 4:00 PM