none
Performance problem when displaying a grid of bitmap images

Question

• Hello there,

My application needs to display a grid of bitmap images on the screen. Trying everything I could think of, my application still doesn't feel snappy. So I built a simplified sample to test the issue. I used a timer to calculate how long my "display images" event handler executed, and used a stop watch to measure how long it took for the images to appear on the screen. The bottom line: when displaying 10x10, 40x40, 50x50 and 60x60 grids of images, WPF took 2, 9, 12 and 16 seconds to display the images on the screen after my event handling code had finished. So I feel helpless: It seems I can't improve my code to make the images appear faster - I need to do something with WPF!

So my question is: What do I need to do differently to make the images display faster?

The test setup is simple:

The window contains a Grid. After the "test" button is clicked, row and column definitions are added to the grid, and an Image control is added to each cell of the grid as follows:

var image = new Image(); 
                image.BeginInit(); 
                image.Name = ImageNameFromCell(theRow, theColumn); 
                image.Stretch = Stretch.None; 
                image.HorizontalAlignment = HorizontalAlignment.Center; 
                image.VerticalAlignment = VerticalAlignment.Center; 
                RenderOptions.SetBitmapScalingMode(image, BitmapScalingMode.LowQuality); 
                image.EndInit(); 

theGrid.Children.Add(image); 

Next, the Source of each image is set to a bitmap: a gray-scale image scaled down to the estimated screen size of a cell. The bitmap is generated as follows:

var smallerBitmapImage = new BitmapImage(); 
                smallerBitmapImage.BeginInit(); 
                smallerBitmapImage.DecodePixelWidth = (int)(theImageWidth); 
                smallerBitmapImage.UriSource = theUri; 
                smallerBitmapImage.CacheOption = BitmapCacheOption.None; 
                smallerBitmapImage.EndInit(); 

//BitmapFrame bitmapFrame = BitmapFrame.Create(this.FullPath); 

var convertedBitmap = new FormatConvertedBitmap(); 
                convertedBitmap.BeginInit(); 
                convertedBitmap.Source = smallerBitmapImage; 
                convertedBitmap.DestinationFormat = PixelFormats.Gray16; 
                convertedBitmap.EndInit(); 
                convertedBitmap.Freeze(); 

AFAIU this means that when my event handler code returns, all images have been read from the disk (which is SSD, anyhow) and reside in memory as bitmaps. There're no dependencies, nothing to do: Just a bunch of images in an array, with scaled down bitmaps already loaded to memory. The Image controls are instructed not to scale the images (and to use low quality scaling, at that :). Additionally the images are frozen. Still, it takes WPF a noticeable delay to display them.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:12 AM

Answers

All replies