none
error C2248: 'CObject::operator =' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject'

Question

• struct SConfig

{

CString m_strAppMode; // Production or Engineering

CString m_strUIMode; // Hardware or Simulation

CMap<CString, CString&, CString, CString&> MapKeyCmd;

void init(void);

};

The above code is giving the compilation error  as below:
    1>C:\Win16App\VisualStudio2005\VC\atlmfc\include\afxtempl.h(1339) : error C2248: 'CObject::operator =' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject'

1> C:\Win16App\VisualStudio2005\VC\atlmfc\include\afx.h(559) : see declaration of 'CObject::operator ='

1> C:\Win16App\VisualStudio2005\VC\atlmfc\include\afx.h(529) : see declaration of 'CObject'

1> This diagnostic occurred in the compiler generated function 'CMap<KEY,ARG_KEY,VALUE,ARG_VALUE> &CMap<KEY,ARG_KEY,VALUE,ARG_VALUE>::operator =(const CMap<KEY,ARG_KEY,VALUE,ARG_VALUE> &)'

1> with

1> [

1> KEY=CString,

1> ARG_KEY=CString &,

1> VALUE=CString,

1> ARG_VALUE=CString &

1> ]

Can any body help me what is the reason behind this and how can I fix this?

Thanks,
    Anand.

Friday, December 05, 2008 5:26 PM

Answers

• I cannot believe that the above code by itself is giving you this error.

CString is not derived from CObject. Are you perhaps trying to use operator = on your SConfig struct? If so, you are running into the fact that CMap is not copyable or assignable, because the base class CObject is not.

I would strongly recommend you to use std::map rather than CMap. It is copyable, assignable, generally better designed, and portable. Superior in every imaginable way, IMHO.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, December 05, 2008 6:56 PM