none
VIntDev 6.0 - New / Design Table Menu Option Missing

Question

• Hello

Wish they had a forum like this for version 6 of Visual Interdev, hope you don't mind me posting here.

I was just wondering if anyone had overcome the problem where the New Table and Design [table] menu options do not appear in the Data View pane.  I have set-up a new PC with VStudio SP6 and SQL2K SP4 all running locally, but for some reason I cannot get these table design options to appear.  I am connecting to the database as a user with dbo role.  Connecting as 'sa' has the same negative result.

It will let me design/create a view or stored procedure, but not a table.  My connection string has been created using the wizard and is SQLOLEDB. 

Is this problem connected to an issue where you are presented with an ODBC dialog when attempting to create a new database connection, versus the Data Link dialog that allows you to select SQL OLEDB?

I have found some articles referencing similar problems but these where fixed in early SPs for VS and SQL2K.  I am running VS SP 6 and SQL2K SP 4.

Thanks in advance

Bagload

P.S. What version of VS 2005 would I need to get the database designer tools such as those featued in VInterDev Enterprise?

Monday, November 13, 2006 12:04 PM

Answers

• After a reboot and delete/re-create of the connections the problem went away.  As suggested, the Add Connection dialog also changes to show Data Link straight away versus the old ODBC drivers box.

Monday, November 13, 2006 3:24 PM

All replies

• I have found this KB Article that reports the exact problem.

"FIX: Menu Does Not Appear When You Right-Click in the Query Builder"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/262601/EN-US/

However, it suggests the problem was fixed in the next service pack.  I have installed SP 6 but since learned that SP 6 didn't include any fixes for Visual Interdev as it is no longer supported by Microsoft.

So I have installed SP 5 as that states it includes all fixes from SP 1, 2, 3 and 4 but it still not working.

Also, I have ensured that the database transaction log is not full.  (Another possible cause.)

This specific problem was addressed in VS SP4 but I cannot find a copy of that anywhere AND SP 5 says it is cumulative and cites VI fixes.

Help!!!

Monday, November 13, 2006 3:13 PM
  • After a reboot and delete/re-create of the connections the problem went away.  As suggested, the Add Connection dialog also changes to show Data Link straight away versus the old ODBC drivers box.

Monday, November 13, 2006 3:24 PM