none
Visual Basic Express SQL Server Connection.

Question

• Been trying for a while now. But I cant use server explorer to connect to my sql server (2000)

But in Visual WebDeveloper you can connect directly up with a sql server. But in Visual basic express 2, when I try to add a data source, I have only 2 options:

1. Access Database File
    2. Sql database file (mdf)

and in webdeveloper i have many choices:

1. Access Databse File
    2. ODBC Data Source
    3. SQL SERVER
    4. SQL SERVER database file
    4. Oracle Database
    5. Other

Any Ideas?
    Friday, April 22, 2005 7:23 PM

Answers

•  Shawn Ramey wrote:
    Been trying for a while now. But I cant use server explorer to connect to my sql server (2000)

But in Visual WebDeveloper you can connect directly up with a sql server. But in Visual basic express 2, when I try to add a data source, I have only 2 options:

1. Access Database File

1. Access Databse File
    2. ODBC Data Source
    3. SQL SERVER
    4. Oracle Database
    5. Other

Any Ideas?

Shawn,

I believe the express editions were intended more for the hobbyist programmer, and not to have designer support for connections to RDBMS (I think it was reserved for the full versions of VS.NET).

Hope this helps.

- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
              - mvp@spam.guard.caspershouse.com
    Friday, April 22, 2005 8:27 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Nick is correct, remote data access features are reserved for VS Standard and above editions.  The intent of the Express Editions is to design and use local data only.  Visual Web Developer allows read-only access to several remote databases as a special case.  This allows a Web developer to publish their site to a hoster, and continue to do testing or small iterative changes. 

You can connect to remote databases and sql 2000 in code, but you won't get the enhanced design-time features this way. 

thanks,
    Paul
    Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:01 AM

All replies

•  Shawn Ramey wrote:
    Been trying for a while now. But I cant use server explorer to connect to my sql server (2000)

1. Access Database File

1. Access Databse File
    2. ODBC Data Source
    3. SQL SERVER
    4. Oracle Database
    5. Other

Any Ideas?

Shawn,

I believe the express editions were intended more for the hobbyist programmer, and not to have designer support for connections to RDBMS (I think it was reserved for the full versions of VS.NET).

Hope this helps.

- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
              - mvp@spam.guard.caspershouse.com
    Friday, April 22, 2005 8:27 PM
  • Hi Shawn,

Nick is correct, remote data access features are reserved for VS Standard and above editions.  The intent of the Express Editions is to design and use local data only.  Visual Web Developer allows read-only access to several remote databases as a special case.  This allows a Web developer to publish their site to a hoster, and continue to do testing or small iterative changes. 

You can connect to remote databases and sql 2000 in code, but you won't get the enhanced design-time features this way. 

thanks,
    Paul
    Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:01 AM