none
Runtime error 440: Automation Error

Question

• I work for Southwire Company. We are owners and developers of a program called SAG10. It is set in VB6. When trying to run this program on Windows Vista, I get a runtime error 440. Not all installs on Vista behave this way. I have had multiple successes in installing and running SAG10 on Windows Vista. I have changed settings to mimic the successful runs and I still get this error. I have disabled the User Account Control as well but continue to get this error. Do I need to replace a certain file in my system folder? Do you have any advice?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

• runtime error 440 is an OLE automation error. It can be a huge number of things going on so I'll stick to the ones i know and that I've manage to solve.

What this tells me is that one or more components may not have registered properly. Or that you are trying to access a component that has dependencies that where not properly installed.

So my first step would be to try and install the application in administrator mode (Run as Administrator) and see if that helps. See the setup logs if there ehere any errors registering any components or dependencies.

Also, try to run your app "as administrator" and/or change on the properties of the EXE, to compatibility mode targeting Windows XP2.

Cheers

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Thanks for your tip. I have tried this without any success. The user is an Administrator and the User Account Control (UAC) module has been turned off so there should be no question about administrative rights. Do you have any other advice?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:53 PM
  • You can allways try to monitor your app with Dependency Walker to see if you can discover the missing component:
    http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Cheers

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help you.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:15 PM
  • I work for Southwire Company. We are owners and developers of a program called SAG10. It is set in VB6. When trying to run this program on Windows Vista, I get a runtime error 440. Not all installs on Vista behave this way. I have had multiple successes in installing and running SAG10 on Windows Vista. I have changed settings to mimic the successful runs and I still get this error. I have disabled the User Account Control as well but continue to get this error. Do I need to replace a certain file in my system folder? Do you have any advice?
    have a look here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000380.htm

Runtime errors.

Issue:

Runtime errors.

Cause:

The runtime or run-time error message can be caused by:

1. Confliction with TSR or other running program
    2. Software issue
    3. Computer Virus
    4. Memory issue

Solution:

Before following the below recommendations for troubleshooting your runtime error if you're getting a runtime error with a runtime error code and error message such as "Runtime error 75 path/file access error", skip to the below runtime error listing for a listing of runtime error codes and additional information and causes for these errors.

Confliction with TSR or other running program

If you are encountering a runtime error message while in Windows or above ensure that the issue is not being caused by a third-party program or TSR by end tasking all open programs. Additional information about TSRs and how to end task a TSR can be found on document CHTSR.

If, after end tasking all TSRs, you continue to experience the same issue and are running Windows 95 or Windows 98, verify that no utility or program is being loaded in the autoexec.bat / config.sys that is causing your issue by temporally renaming the files. To do this, follow the below instructions.

1. Boot to a MS-DOS prompt. Information on how to do this can be found on document CHDOS.
    2. Once at the MS-DOS prompt, type:

cd\ <press enter>
      ren autoexec.bat autoexec.ch <press enter>
      ren config.sys config.ch <press enter>

Once completed, reboot the computer.

Software issue

If your issue persists it is possible that the program, utility or game causing the runtime error may have issues. Verify through the developer's web site that all updates or patches that may be available have been downloaded and applied.

If no patches or updates are available, attempt to uninstall and/or reinstall the program that is causing the issue. If you are having a runtime error in your operating system, reinstall the operating system.

Add-on, plug-in, or other extra software

Many runtime errors are also caused by other add-ons, plug-ins, or other extra software that has been installed onto the computer and is associated with the program generating the error. If you have any extra software installed that is associated with the program generating the error make sure there are no available updates for the programs and/or try uninstalling each of them to verify they're not the cause of your issue.

Computer virus

Because computer viruses are capable of tampering with the system settings / memory it is possible for a computer virus to generate a runtime error. If you are currently running a virus protection program on your computer ensure it has the latest updated patch or .dat file.

If you do not have a computer virus protection program it is recommended one be purchased or that a demo be temporarily downloaded to scan your computer hard disk drive for viruses.

Memory issue

Finally, if you have followed all of the above recommendations, it is possible that you may be encountering a hardware / memory related issue. We recommend that you first contact the developer of the program causing the issue for any possible solutions. If no solutions are found, we recommend you contact the computer or motherboard manufacturer for additional recommendations and/or service.

• Additional information about troubleshooting memory related issues can be found on document CH000375.

A complete listing of computer-related companies can be found here.

DeepF1
    Friday, August 28, 2009 7:56 PM