none
How to convert .msg to .eml

Question

• Hi,
    Can anybody tell me how to convert a .msg file to .eml file. I could save a MailItem object as a msg file, but I need it to be .eml file.
    Is there a free 3rd party util or in built util ?

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hello upul,

*.Eml *.Email are essentially plain text SMTP/MIME messages, while *.msg is a binary MAPI message [built on COM/structure-storage].

If you search on MSDN for the SMTP Mail APIs, you should be able to find a solution for mapping your existing Outlook mail object model to an SMTP message.

For example, I would start in the System.Net.Mail namespace: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/dk1fb84h(en-us,vs.80).aspx

Please feel free to post back to this forum if you found a solution to your issue, or have more technical details or questions.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    http://blogs.msdn.com/stfisher
    Monday, August 29, 2005 9:43 PM

All replies

• Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:41 PM
  • Hi Amal,
    Thanks for the url.
    I'm writing a c# program to read a PST file and save the emails in .eml format. So in this case I need to save C# MailItem object as an eml file. The freeware I downloded from the url is an outlook add-in. I will need a program (an exe) or a library (dll), that is capable of converting .msg to .eml.

Any help ?

Thanks.

Regards.
    upul
    Friday, May 06, 2005 4:47 AM
  • Hello upul,

*.Eml *.Email are essentially plain text SMTP/MIME messages, while *.msg is a binary MAPI message [built on COM/structure-storage].

If you search on MSDN for the SMTP Mail APIs, you should be able to find a solution for mapping your existing Outlook mail object model to an SMTP message.

For example, I would start in the System.Net.Mail namespace: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/dk1fb84h(en-us,vs.80).aspx

Please feel free to post back to this forum if you found a solution to your issue, or have more technical details or questions.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    http://blogs.msdn.com/stfisher
    Monday, August 29, 2005 9:43 PM
  • Hi Upulab,

I  would like to save MailMesage object in the format .msg.

Is there exist a way to do that?

please help.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:35 PM
  • I'm looking for a similar solution...

I had considered using System.Net.Mail.MailMessage, but I don't see any way to save that as a file. It seems to only want me to actually send the message.

Any more tips?

Sunday, October 07, 2007 11:32 PM
  • I all.

To Save a mail as a file with MailMessage :

_SmtpClient.PickupDirectoryLocation = "C:\\";

_SmtpClient.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.SpecifiedPickupDirectory;

_SmtpClient.Send(_Mail);

It's work.

That's all folks !!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:47 AM
  • One utility that you may want to try is the EML and MSG converter found at:
    http://bitdaddys.com/outlookEMLandMSGconverter.html
    It uses outlook  to convert from msg or eml to eml, msg, html, tnef or txt

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:00 PM
  • You might want to take a look at our Mailbox-SDK. The API has an EML to MSG converter (and vice versa), demo applications and the ability to read any mailbox file from Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird and Eudora, so you can read .PST files and save the contents as .EMLs easily.

http://www.iconico.com/mailbox-SDK

(I hope this is not considered spam!)
    Sunday, July 06, 2008 11:14 AM
  •  

I believe that Aspose.Network (third party networking component) supports converting .msg to .eml and its latest version 4.2 now supports converting .eml to .msg files as well. You can download its free evaluation version and also read Aspose.Network product overview  for more details.

I hope this will help.

Usman Sarfraz

Usman Sarfraz, The word Impossible means "I M Possible"
    Monday, December 15, 2008 1:20 PM
  • You can use IConverterSession interface.

Monday, January 05, 2009 8:57 AM
  • can u pls tell me how to save a mail item object in .msg format
    Monday, March 01, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Yes, it does. I just tried

C#

Aspose.Network.Mail.MailMessage msg = Aspose.Network.Mail.MailMessage.Load(path, Aspose.Network.Mail.MessageFormat.Eml);
    msg.Save("c:/abc.msg", Aspose.Network.Mail.MailMessageSaveType.OutlookMessageFormat);

But the free version puts a license.txt in every saved file and also adds a line to Subject.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:36 AM
  • How about vmime? It's a free open source project. I have also tried to search on IMAP Blog and POP3 Blog but not found a tool to convert
    Monday, June 14, 2010 4:52 AM
    • Edited by utt_nls Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:12 PM
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi Upublab,

I have had the same problem. I solved this with using a mail processor SDK.

The fact this is a commercial product, but function EML to MSG to EML is free.

I contacted DCI's guys, and they allowed me to use their product, but I must refer to them.

try

http://dci-software.com/MailProcessor/mpmain.html

Friday, October 08, 2010 2:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kuzemat Monday, October 11, 2010 12:53 PM
    • Edited by thims Friday, September 30, 2011 7:33 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by EWS developer Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:12 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 7:20 AM
  • Hi,
    Can anybody tell me how to convert a .msg file to .eml file. I could save a MailItem object as a msg file, but I need it to be .eml file.
    Is there a free 3rd party util or in built util ?

Here is a easy way to do it without any software by forwarding it from Microsoft Outlook email (.msg) to Outlook Express email (.eml)

1. Send the .msg email as an attachment from the Microsoft Outlook email as follows;

Click on - new mail message, go back to inbox, grab the email envelope (icon) drag it to the new mail message box, drop it and send it to a Outlook Express email.

2. In the Outlook Express it will show the email with the attachment. Clik on forward, in the forward box click on the attached email (icon), and drag it over and drop it in the inbox - and that's all is to it.... enjoy

Saturday, November 05, 2011 2:26 AM

• Here is a easy way to do it without any software by forwarding it from Microsoft Outlook email (.msg) to Outlook Express email (.eml)

1. Send the .msg email as an attachment from the Microsoft Outlook email as follows;

Click on - new mail message, go back to inbox, grab the email envelope (icon) drag it to the new mail message box, drop it and send it to a Outlook Express email.

2. In the Outlook Express it will show the email with the attachment. Clik on forward, in the forward box click on the attached email (icon), and drag it over and drop it in the inbox - and that's all is to it.... enjoy

Perfect. Thanks!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Several ways to do this .I think this is the best option now a days.i found it very helpful. Click here
    • Edited by peo meter Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:51 AM
  • hey Upulab, how you doing?

As far as I understand, there is not any free utility for emails' files conversion. And if there would be any program, it must be difficult to utilize or very messy. Believe me.

Why don't you check sysinfotools' email converter? Though it's not free but it offers free demo version. Just do as I did. Use it man. It's just wowww.

I think, this is best for you to convert your MSG file to EML file. To know more about this tool, just go there:

Email converter

• Edited by Philipppo Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Can't resist responding:

If you want simple, an even simpler way than blierso's is to IMPORT the message from Outlook into Outlook Express, then just save message to eml.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:35 PM
  • To convert .MSG to .EML File format there are so many solutions are available in market arena. You can download SysTools MSG to EML Converter software easily and quickly to convert multiple MSG file to EML file format in very easy and simple way. Take a look.... https://exploreb2b.com/articles/msg2eml-converter-functional-without-outlook-installation

• Edited by Adom Berger Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:59 AM found a article and want to share this article with all
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:21 AM