none
__DATE__ equivalent

Question

• I'm new to C# coming from a C background. I would simply like access to the build date of my application. In C, I could do this using the __DATE__ macro. How would I do this in Visual C#?

TIA

JeffM

Thursday, November 09, 2006 5:19 PM

Answers

• I guess there is no way to do that. C# does not allow defines with values. It allows only "is defined" or "is not defined".

--
    SvenC

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:20 PM

All replies

• Use DateTime structure in C#!

See MSDN for help and more details! its really very simple to use!

Best Regards,

Thursday, November 09, 2006 7:22 PM
  • I guess there is no way to do that. C# does not allow defines with values. It allows only "is defined" or "is not defined".

--
    SvenC

Thursday, November 09, 2006 10:20 PM
  • hi,

i don't know c and i don't know if you can do that useing System.Refliction or not but you can get the creationdate from System.IO

class Program

{
    static void Main(string[] args)
    {

string strpath = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location;
    System.IO.
    FileInfo fi = new System.IO.FileInfo(strpath);
    Console.WriteLine(fi.CreationTime);
    }
    }

it will not give you the build date but it will give you the creation date on the client machine

hope this helps

Thursday, November 09, 2006 11:09 PM
  • __DATE__ is a define which is evaluated at compile time, so you can have the build date available as string - maybe for diagnostics or an about dialog or whatever.

--
    SvenC

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:37 AM
  • If you use "1.0.*.*" as the assemblyVersion in your AssemblyInfo.cs file, then the build (3rd) number will give you the date, while the revision (4th) number will be the time.   I forget the exact format, but I think it's something like Build = days since 1/1/1970, and Revision=(seconds since 12mid)/2

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:22 PM
  • OK, I was close... It is "days since 1/1/2000" -- this code will work:

Assembly assem = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();
    Version vers = assem.GetName().Version;
    DateTime buildDate = new DateTime(2000, 1, 1).AddDays(vers.Build).AddSeconds(vers.Revision * 2);
    Console.WriteLine(vers.ToString());
    Console.WriteLine(buildDate.ToString());

Friday, November 10, 2006 5:39 PM