none
MIDI project to project intercommunication

Question

• hi, I'm trying to develop application modules which intercommunicate via MIDI

in each project I've implemented MIDI devices via Sanford.Multimedia.Midi

however when I run both projects they do not recognize each other as valid MIDI devices

it would seem that I could interconnect them via a MIDI cable (with it's USB device driver)

however I do not seem to be able to accomplish software to software interconnection 

I believe that it should be possible via WDMAud.DRV and WDMAud.SYS

however Visual Studio Professional 2012 will not allow me to add references

to device drivers nor system modules to my software projects

Might someone be able to give me a clue as to how I might accomplish software project to software project MIDI intercommunication?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• Hi SynthNetics,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Based on your description, I’m afraid that it is not the correct forum for this issue, since this forum is to discuss:

Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, Visual Studio Report Controls, and Visual Studio Editor.

To help you find the correct forum for this issue, would you mind letting us know more information about this issue? Which language are you using? Which kind of app are you developing?

I did some research about the MIDI, do you mean that it is related Windows Mobile Development like this document, if so, I think you could select the correct forum from Smart Device Development, if not, maybe you could share us more information, so I could help you find the correct forum for this issue. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:29 AM
  • hi, Thank You for taking the time to consider the issue

actualy I am trying to work on a contest entry for the:

"Intel Perceptual Computing Challenge"

https://perceptualchallenge.intel.com/

based upon Intel's "Interactive Gesture Camera"

(which is quite similar to Microsoft's Kinect system)

Intel is looking for innovative new "Gesture Interfaces"

so I was thinking that my "Music Machine" Gesture Interface

would be considered to be an innovative new User Interface for their contest

I am considering developing a Gesture Interface which generates MIDI messages

and also developing a Windows based Music Machine

which could be controlled by such MIDI messages

the MIDI interface would thereby provide an

Industry Standard software intermodule communication standard

Intel provides device drivers for "their" (via Creative Corp.) Camera system

which can be developed in C++ or C#

I would prefer to develop the contest  prototype modules in C#

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi SynthNetics,

Glad to receive your reply.

But I’m afraid that I couldn’t find the correct forum for this issue. As you said that if this project is related to the C#/C++ language, like this thread “Midi making C# Program, How?”, maybe you could post this issue to the specific language forum from Visual Studio Languages. Of course, if possible, I suggest you post this issue to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:37 AM