none
Uninstall Visual Studio 11 completely to do a fresh install

Question

• Hi,

I would like to uninstall visual studio 11/2012 pro rc completely from my system without affecting my currently working installation of visual studio 2010 pro. I am happy with my 2010 pro version, it's been working fine since the day I installed it.

It seems there are problems with my installation of the visual studio 11/2012 pro rc and I would like to remove it completely from my system and start again fresh.

I've tried all the remedies suggest so far on this forum. I did the checksum process of my download (to iso) made sure I had a complete image to burn to disc. Burned it and installed it over the visual studio 11 prior to the visual studio 2012 rc version.

I don't want to do a complete windows installation as suggested in topics that go back to 2005 as in:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/9e8b193d-a8a5-45ab-b772-92d4f0b4e29b/

This one suggests using the readme file as a reference for removing the different parts of vs 2008, it includes a link to a blog on how to remove visual studio 2008 manually:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/cfbd7185-1326-4b77-8092-ca29652e6d9a

This one is the best one yet, it introduces a tool to do the job on visual studio 2008:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/4d10304f-04b4-4af3-b97c-13943123a355

I feel that I would have overall success in following method presented in these links for removing earlier version of visual studio, if I only had one version installed.

I have a working version on this computer (vs 2010) with lots of updates and toolkits installed for that version.

When I install the vs2012 preview and release candidate, was under the impression that vs10 and vs11 could co-exist side-by-side. Which is why I installed them on the same machine. Otherwise, I would have installed it on a test machine.

I'm sure that the vs11/2012 rc installation affected some of the files from my vs10 install.

I'm just not sure how to remove the vs11/2012 rc without damaging my vs10 version.

Any help is grately appreciated.

iTypesetit

Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hello Nocturns2,

As far as I know that there is no avaliable uninstall ultility for VS2012 RC, so I am afraid you need to uninstall it manually. Please go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->Uninstall a program->select the VS2012 RC and click uninstall.

For one thing you need to be aware is that .NET Framework 4.5 is installed with VS2012 RC. And at the same time, the .NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place update that replaces .NET Framework 4 (rather than a side-by-side installation). So uninstall VS2012 RC may also uninstall components of .NET Framework 4.5 which may also cause your .NET Framework 4.0 unworkable. So after you uninstall VS2012 RC, please repaire .NET Framework 4.0.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi Hamumhe, Nocturns2,

Please also take a look at this blog for further information about Compatibility of .NET Framework 4.5: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2011/09/26/compatibility-of-net-framework-4-5.aspx

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Nocturns2,

As far as I know that there is no avaliable uninstall ultility for VS2012 RC, so I am afraid you need to uninstall it manually. Please go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->Uninstall a program->select the VS2012 RC and click uninstall.

For one thing you need to be aware is that .NET Framework 4.5 is installed with VS2012 RC. And at the same time, the .NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place update that replaces .NET Framework 4 (rather than a side-by-side installation). So uninstall VS2012 RC may also uninstall components of .NET Framework 4.5 which may also cause your .NET Framework 4.0 unworkable. So after you uninstall VS2012 RC, please repaire .NET Framework 4.0.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hello ,

Thanks for the reply , I also had the same problem only I needed vs2010 for boost library.

Indeed the .Net Framework was the problem, I've uninstalled and installed vs2010 several time after I uninstalled vs2012RC, with no luck.

As you said , when I removed the framework 4.5 and reinstalled vs2010, it already installed the desired framework.

Thanks so much

Monday, June 18, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi Hamumhe, Nocturns2,

Please also take a look at this blog for further information about Compatibility of .NET Framework 4.5: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2011/09/26/compatibility-of-net-framework-4-5.aspx

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Thanks for your replies Vicky Song!

I will give it a try and hope it gives me a clean uninstall of the vs2012 rc, even if I have to reinstall the .net 4.0.

iTypesetit

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:01 AM