none
How do I install VB6 on Windows 7?

Question

• I am trying to install VB6 (actually, visual Studio 6) on Win7.
    In the very early steps of setup, I am stuck to "Need to install Microsoft Java Virtual Machine".
    If I uncheck the JVM box, I am not allowed to continue.
    If i check it, I am told that JVM is unsupported for Win7, the PC is rebooted (why?), and on restart i am to the same JVM required spot.
    I need to perform some maintenance on some old project, just too big to be ported to .NET (if the only thing I can do is to port them, I'd rather port to Delphy or C++ codegear: I am not so crazy to do the same mistake twice, and use the new M$ junk to replace the old M$ junk).
    I have payed good money for the licence of Visual Studio 6, for a PERPETUAL licence. I DEMAND M$ let me use it.

Thanks.
    • Edited by Aldo Marchioni Friday, November 20, 2009 11:30 AM mispellings
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Ask this in this newsgroup (it simply shows up in your browser as a forum like this), they surely will help you although with a lot of critique on Microsoft, but that you can better skip without giving any reaction.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion&lang=en&cr=US

This is a VB Net newsgroup and I did not try VB6 on W7 yet

Success
    Cor
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Install VB6 in an XP virtual machine within Windows 7.  See here for information about XP mode and Virtual PC with Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Look at the response from Rick Rothstein in the below newsgroup post:

http://www.vbmonster.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/vb/33424/VB6-on-Windows-7-64-bit

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Install VB6 in an XP virtual machine within Windows 7.  See here for information about XP mode and Virtual PC with Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
    For you to install vb6 in xP Mode and Virtual PC you need to have a hardware that support virtualization...
    Don't judge me, just Upgrade me. Thanks!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Why on earth would you want to do that when their are tons of new technologies out, such as: Visual Studio 2008, Visual Studio 2010, Expression Blend Web, and etc?  I had a friend for many years writing sw in visual basic 6 while the rest of us branched out to newer technologies and a few years later we finally convinced him to go with VB.NET instead of vb 6. It's entirely up to you but I can guarantee you working with out of date technology will get harder and harder every year "Compatibility"!! Thanks Charlie
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Did you read the question form the OP? Or do you think that you should write something what is written thousand times before you.

The OP showed in his message that he know already what you write, but there are reasons not to do that.

Success
    Cor
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:51 AM
  • If your talking to me I did read the question and I would love to see vb 6 run perfectly on win 7!!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:17 AM
  • I found some step-by-step instructions for this that worked for me:

http://thicken.net/CkZn00

• Edited by Refresh98370 Saturday, April 17, 2010 5:00 PM fixed link
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:59 PM
  • No need to worry about the instalation you just download baboo solutions for wssvista pack and install in your pc

you just setup your vb setup file through the wssvista.

Happy programming

Nagendra Kumar.P

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Installing virtual pc in windows 7 is the some hard process why because allocating memory for that pc allso take vastage of ram so you just install wssvista pack and install in yous pc.Then install vb setup file via wssvista.........................

Happy Programming

Nagendra Kumar.P

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:14 AM
  • I am trying to install VB6 (actually, visual Studio 6) on Win7.
    In the very early steps of setup, I am stuck to "Need to install Microsoft Java Virtual Machine".
    If I uncheck the JVM box, I am not allowed to continue.
    If i check it, I am told that JVM is unsupported for Win7, the PC is rebooted (why?), and on restart i am to the same JVM required spot.
    I need to perform some maintenance on some old project, just too big to be ported to .NET (if the only thing I can do is to port them, I'd rather port to Delphy or C++ codegear: I am not so crazy to do the same mistake twice, and use the new M$ junk to replace the old M$ junk).
    I have payed good money for the licence of Visual Studio 6, for a PERPETUAL licence. I DEMAND M$ let me use it.

Thanks.

I have a Visual Studio 6 Enterprise edition installed on Windows 7 Ultimate and it is working perfectly.

There is no need to bother with all the Virtual XP stuff.

The thing to remember is that Windows 7 is all about permissions.

Always run installer.exes (setup.exe) by right clicking them and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the context menu or else the installation program will be prevented from making registry changes in Windows 7.

The service packs for Visual Studio 6 can still be downloaded from the Microsoft site.

The service packs are cumulative. That means later packs contain all the updates contained in all previous service packs.

If you download and install service pack 6 you will not get the message box to install a moldy version of JM.

Remember to install the service pack by right clicking on the setup.exe and choosing "Run as Administrator".

That is where most people screw up. Each and ever installation has to be run in Administrator mode or the Visual Studio 6 installation will not be successful because Windows 7 will not allow the installer program access to its registry to make necessary changes.

• Proposed as answer by Marco Carozzi Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:52 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Moderators can this thread be moved to Off topic as it gives otherwise again all kind of this kind of questions in this forum because search engines find it.

Thanks

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Mate, I am not sure I going to go to the end... but surely it has started !!! That "run as admin" you adviced put me straight on.

Thanks a lot !!

Marco

Marco Carozzi
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I add something.

I realized that you can face the same issue if you open your ENV via opening .vbp. It is better to open the ENV as Admin, and then load the vbp.

This saves further headaches.

Cheers,

Marco

Marco Carozzi
    Monday, November 28, 2011 12:12 PM
  • What sense makes this ?

Do you know there are around huge projects still based on VB and COM technology ? If a client ask me support on Sql 2000, what do I tell him ? To pass to Denali ?

Please !

Marco

Marco Carozzi
    Monday, November 28, 2011 12:16 PM
  • VB works perfectly on win 7, even 64 bit ! Follow pricebo's advices down here and you'll see it.

Cheers,

Marco

Marco Carozzi
    Monday, November 28, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Thanks pricedo!!

Doing the "Run as Administrator" steps got me up and running on Windows 7.  This is nice as I can continue maintenance on existing projects, without requiring an XP machine any longer.  Thanks!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:37 PM
  • I agree with this statement however; I work for a company that is only using VB6. I am going to rewrite the current code in 2008 or 2010. I don't know why any one would still use VB6. I will say VB6 has more coding in involved from what I see. I learn VB on 2008 and 2010 and like the last versions better.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:31 PM
  • There are plenty of us out there that have no choice, unless we jump companies, about the development version we work in. 

Monday, June 24, 2013 7:11 PM
  • This is a typical response from someone who really doesn't know what they are talking about. Visual Studio 2008, VB.NET, etc. are not substitues for VB6 and anyone who thinks that they are obviously has never really used VB6. In any case, if someone is going to switch from VB6 to something else, there are a number of good choices out there and most of them don't end with ".NET". In my case, I work mainly with programming for "OFFICE" products and I find VBA works great.
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 4:39 AM