none
Native Support for PHP in Visual Studio 2010

Question

• Is there any truth to the rumor that Visual Studio 2010 will natively support PHP coding? 

http://www.codeplex.com/php4vs

Eric
    Friday, November 06, 2009 11:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi UCSD,
          Visual Studio 2010 will NOT natively support PHP coding... There are external add-ins to Visual Studio like VS.PHP which can help with that...
    Thanks
    Vishal
    Vishal R. Joshi | http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Ok, but why Visual Studio does not support PHP ?
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:34 PM
  • The answer is simple that Why netbeans not support VB.
    My Blog : http://blog.miawork.com
    Friday, February 12, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Maybe WebMatrix is the rumor: http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/
    • Proposed as answer by Stefan 000000 Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 9:35 PM
  • The answer is simple that Why netbeans not support VB.
    My Blog : http://blog.miawork.com

I have to say that is a terrible answer, Visual Studio supports many languages, it is a great shame that Microsoft only provides support for build web apps "their" way.  There are so many large open source content management systems that run very high profile websites and these deserve a better IDE than currently exist.

netbeans is not going to support vb because it is not open.  I fear VS does not support PHP for similar reasons that it was forced to drop java - i.e. open means open as long as microsoft don't provide a tool for it, isn't that right Sun Systems?

I vote fot PHP in visual studio natively.

Friday, September 24, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Sad answer but true.

My primary development language is .NET, but i'm also php fans, using Aptana studio wrote several wordpress plugin ,also in my job.

you are right, Eclipse, Netbeans support multi programming language and open source.

I also hope one day MS decide to native support PHP.

However, if you are microsoft fans (like me), you know the rules of MS, It is a story of marketing.

Today most IDE is free ,

.NET - VS Express
    Java - eclipse & netbean and more
    PHP - PDT , Aptana studio is my choice.

We can install all of them and not messy the system.

In my opinion, why eclipse not support VB/C#?
    it's not because cannot be done, you can find some old eclipse's plugin to support C#, however, why the development is suspened?
      I think the reason is most .NET developer want to use industry standard --- Visual Studio.
    Alternate, if one day VS support Java & PHP, do you think the Eclipse & netbeans users will turn to VS? 

PS: Sorry about my english.

My Blog : http://www.netatlantis.com
    Friday, September 24, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Sad answer but true.

My primary development language is .NET, but i'm also php fans, using Aptana studio wrote several wordpress plugin ,also in my job.

you are right, Eclipse, Netbeans support multi programming language and open source.

However, if you are microsoft fans (like me), you know the rules of MS, It is a story of marketing.

Today most IDE is free ,

.NET - VS Express

it's not because cannot be done, you can find some old eclipse's plugin to support C#, however, why the development is suspened?
      I think the reason is most .NET developer want to use industry standard --- Visual Studio.
    Alternate, if one day VS support Java & PHP, do you think the Eclipse & netbeans users will turn to VS? 

Non-Microsoft IDEs to support VB/C# .net?

What do you think about CRL (common runtime language), and compiler? Do they have .Net compiler ?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:58 PM
  • It's actually a prefectly reasonable answer.  No commercial company should be "expected" to support someone else's system.  Supporting a web framework is more than just including an interpreter, getting PHP editable and debuggable in VS is one thing, but you also need the web server platform support for debugging and doing all the other fancy stuff that you can do with ASP.NET.  I'd personally love to use VS for PHP but I'm not going to demand that MS take the time to include it.  They've designed their IDE with multi language and add in support to allow other people who have the time and inclination to put ni new languages.  COBOL for example was written for someone else.  Oracle wrote their own ADO.NET adapters. 

MS support their own languages and technologies, they're a commercial company and you can't expect much else.  If you want PHP, then you can write your own add in to support it, but good luck in getting a Zend Platform like system integrated with it.  I just ended up using one of the many free PHP IDE's available and accepted that they were different.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Sad answer but true.

Today most IDE is free ,

.NET - VS Express

Non-Microsoft IDEs to support VB/C# .net?

What do you think about CRL (common runtime language), and compiler? Do they have .Net compiler ?

There's something call'd MONO, hehe. DotNET 2.0 is now fully functional on linux~~
    Get busy imitating and get skillful in exceeding~
    Monday, November 01, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Contrary to what some believe, C# is not JUST a Microsoft language. It is an EMCA- approved standard language, which is why Mono can exist to begin with.

That being said, if you want an alternative to Visual Studio, you can use SharpDevelop (or MonoDevelop , the project it's based on). Both are available for free, but without the restrictions imposed by the Express Editions of Visual Studio. DevC++ is a good alternative if you are coding in C/C++ and want a more Visual Studio-like environment.

Lastly, anyone can download the Visual Studio "shell" and incorporate their own compiler, syntax checker, etc., for free, if they want to put the effort into it. I've considered it from time-to-time, since I'd rather do my PHP coding in a familiar environment.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:24 AM
  • I have to say that is a terrible answer, Visual Studio supports many languages, it is a great shame that Microsoft only provides support for build web apps "their" way.

I’m sorry but this makes very little sense to me.  VS is a great IDE.  Why would Microsoft develop tools for something it makes no money on?  Why would it build a dynamite tool to facilitate writing web apps in a language that means the resulting web app (or website) is likely to be hosted on a LAMP stack?

Also, if they did this, then next people will complain that the support for PHP in VS is “second rate” to the support for VB and C#.  Microsoft isn't into open source.  They are a software company whose business model is one of developing and selling commercial software.  All their products are designed to support their other products.  This isn’t unusual (and contrary to RMS it isn't unethical either).  You don’t see Ford making accessories for Honda vehicles do you?

There are so many large open source content management systems that run very high profile websites and these deserve a better IDE than currently exist.

Then the open source community should build one.  Period.  Why are we demanding that Microsoft to build tools for a competing web technology?  Microsoft wants you to write web apps in ASP.NET that run on the .NET framework for which the BEST implementation is found on Windows so your web apps will run on Windows-based servers.  They support running PHP in IIS on Windows so that existing apps written in PHP can run on Windows boxes thus providing a migration path from Linux to Windows.  But they don’t want to facilitate the development of MORE applications that will likely wind up running on Linux boxes.

Friday, December 31, 2010 4:31 PM
  • There's something call'd MONO, hehe. DotNET 2.0 is now fully functional on linux~~

Right!  And Mono is developed by the open source community so that web-apps written for Windows can run on Linux boxes.  Why?  Because web developers are beginning to more and more demand Windows-based hosting from the major ISP’s and are less and less willing to spend extra money for it. Mono exists for the same reason that Microsoft allows/facilitates PHP to work under IIS (although the Windows-based version of PHP is also developed by the open source community).  To “woo” people with an existing web-app to run it on their platform.

Also you mention that .NET 2.0 is functional on Linux.  What about .NET 3.0?  And 3.5?  And oh, I think we are at version 4.0 now.

If you’re a .net developer the BEST platform for your applications is Windows and the BEST development tools will be Windows-based applications probably from Microsoft.  If you’re a PHP developer the best platform for your application is Linux and the best tools are going to be open source.  Oh, and good luck selling your application as a commercial product :-)

Open source is fun and I like Linux but I have no idea how to build a business on it.

Friday, December 31, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Lastly, anyone can download the Visual Studio "shell" and incorporate their own compiler, syntax checker, etc., for free, if they want to put the effort into it. I've considered it from time-to-time, since I'd rather do my PHP coding in a familiar environment.

If you like writing in a familiar environment why not just ditch PHP and start writing web-apps in ASP.NET?!?!?  Is actually a really cool platform.

Friday, December 31, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Who cares?

Just take PDT on eclipse and use it. Don't whine about why, bla bla bla. Focus on you project. It's like you are asking for a fork and they gave you a different design

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Is there any truth to the rumor that Visual Studio 2010 will natively support PHP coding?

http://www.codeplex.com/php4vs

Eric

You can give a more complete description of your needs, It is better for the answer.
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:25 AM
  • While it is true that Visual Studio 2010 doesn't support PHP natively.  Check out Phalanger... an open source project that allows you to create, edit, and run PHP from within Visual Studio.  It compiles a PHP script down to C# for running on the server.  Impressive performance is touted by the project team.  Very useful for the LAMP developer, who needs to run code in the Microsoft stack.  It can even run complete PHP packages like phpBB.  And as a bonus, you can access .net from PHP.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Guys, theres a lot of IDES for PHP, why would you like to use Visual studio? i know it lots of tools, but none of them are usefull for php.

if u are on windows first of all try to go linux, i garantee if u try to develop php under linux u will never go back to windows again, at least to wirte php applications

if u are under windows and for some reason u dont want to change to linux then try Nusphere IDE, it has a REAL AND FULLY FUNCTIONAL DEBUGGER AND PROFILER, and its not write using JAVA, so its a lot faster than eclipse and netbeans. in my opionion its the best ide on the market for php applications.

Monday, April 11, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Mango, 

The question you should ask yourself is "How would supporting PHP in Visual Studio, natively, sell more copies of Windows?"

If PHP support would sell more server licences, for instance, then you have a solid argument and should contact one of the Visual Studio/.NET Evangelists about it.

In fact, with the recent PHP IIS Support, I would not be surprised if priority would be granted to this issue if the Community Voice was great enough.

I use Eclipse and Aptana for web development, but almost every one of my Java/PHP/Ruby solutions are hosted on Ubuntu. The tools are mature and staff is really easy to hire on the LAMP stack. 

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:33 AM
  • There is one fast and working PHP integration on Visual Studio gallery; http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/6eb51f05-ef01-4513-ac83-4c5f50c95fb5 that I would recommend.

• Marked as answer by SD Eric Friday, May 04, 2012 4:45 PM
    Friday, May 04, 2012 4:25 PM