none
Installing VS 2005 keeps on asking ' Please insert the disk: Visual studio 2005'

Question

• The installation process for Visual Studio 2005 prompts ' Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005' everytime when I try to install VS2005.

This is what I did:

* Downloaded VS 2005 from the MSDN members download site.
       File name: en_vs_2005_pro_dvd.iso (size=2,825,748 KB)

* Used MagicISO tool to unpack the files

* Used Nero 6 to write the extracted files to the DVD

* Created a brand new Virtual PC with Windows XP + SP2

* Start the install process in the VPC by clicking on the setup.exe
       in \vs on the dvd

* Select the default installation options

* Installation starts for a long time and then prompts:
       Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005'

The screen show:

Installing Components: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
       Directory:                  Visual Studio 2005 Professional edition - ENU\
       File:                          htmllite.dll

What am I doing wrong? I have retried the process 3 times with the same results.

Regards,
    Joginder Nahil
    www.starprint2000.com

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:23 AM

Answers

• Two things.

I would use nero to burn the iso instead of using magiciso to extract the files then burn them.

If your are installing vs.net 2005 on virtual pc you can map the iso as a drive for the virtual pc. 
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:36 PM
  • Afer reading each response thread, I realize the prolem is not with installation, rather, it is with creating a DVD with VS 2005 on it.

VS 2005 installed the first time on my work PC & home. I used UltraISO to extract the files, and ran a full install. Everything's great.

However, my first attempt at creating a VS 2005 DVD was using ISOBuster, then UltraISO. I thought the problem was caused during extraction. Not so. If I was able to install to two separate machines using the same data without errors, then how could the same data on a DVD fail?

None-the-less, after making 4 new beautiful coasters, my next attempt will be makeing two separate DVD's

1) the first DVD will be labeled DVD1 (which is the MSDN directory)
    2) the seconde DVD will be labeled DVD2 (which is the vs directory)

Stay tuned....

(by the way, I used to prefer ISOBuster, but I must say that UltraISO is very easy to use with a rich UI)

Kind regards,
    Greg Cadmes
    MCP Extron Electronics

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:31 PM
  • T H E   E R R O R   I S :

---------------------------
    Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Developer 2003 Setup
    Please insert the disk: Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Developer 2003 - English Disk 1

OR

Please insert the disk: Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect  2003 - English Disk 1
    OK   Cancel  

THE PROBLEM IS...invalid label name of your cd/dvd !!

HOW TO:
    1 Make an image of your cd/dvd (ISO file)
    2 Save that image on the disk
    3 Edit the label name of the CD so it is equivalent
    to the names related down

(have to download "Deep burner" or "Magic Iso" to do name
    changing of compilation and then make a "save as..ISO file")

(*)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    -CDS INSTALATION-

FOR Visual Studio.NET 2005 /2003 ENTERPRISE DEVELOPER
    CD NAMES: VSENTD1,VSENTD2,...

FOR Visual Studio.NET 2005 /2003 ARQUITECH DEVELOPER
    CD NAMES: VSENARD1,VSENARD2,...

-DVD INSTALATION-
    DVD LABEL NAME : VSENTD1

FOR Visual Studio.NET 2005 /2003 ENTERPRISE ARCHITECT
    DVD LABEL NAME: VSENARD1

-------------------------------------------------------

note:
    FOR UPDATE COMPONENTS CD , YOU DONT NEED TO HAVE AN
    APROPRIATE LABEL NAME !

----t h a t ' s  all  folks! ENJOYYYYYYYYY---------

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:25 AM

All replies

• The same problem was with me during VS.NET 2003.  The issue was one or few files where corrupt.  I guess either while downloading or burning the DVD few bytes got corrupt.

Regards
    Jignesh Desai
    www.dotnetjini.com
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 11:39 AM
  • Two things.

I would use nero to burn the iso instead of using magiciso to extract the files then burn them.

If your are installing vs.net 2005 on virtual pc you can map the iso as a drive for the virtual pc. 
    Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:36 PM
  • Hi ken,

You are a star!

I took your advice. Searched the web for Virtual CD, installed it, mounted the Visual Studio 2005 ISO file on another machine on my local network. I used the mounted drive to instal VS20005 and bingo. Installed 1st time.

Before that, like you suggested, I used Nero to make the DVD direct;y from the ISO file but had the same sort of problems when I tried to install from it.

I had spend many many hours trying to install VS2005. You advice was invaluable. Thanks a lot. Because of this I will happy to let you have any of my products as a gift. Please visit www.starprint2000.com to see if any of my products are any use to you.

Regards,
    Joginder Nahil
    www.starprint2000.com

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:24 PM
  • It's a problem, here the correct solution :
    Save you CD with DVD1 Label.
    For any reason VS 2005 Beta y Pro verify the name at middler instalation.
    Please send email to catoche@hialpesa.com, for help me . One for One

César Atoche
    HIALPESA

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 9:54 PM
  • Afer reading each response thread, I realize the prolem is not with installation, rather, it is with creating a DVD with VS 2005 on it.

VS 2005 installed the first time on my work PC & home. I used UltraISO to extract the files, and ran a full install. Everything's great.

However, my first attempt at creating a VS 2005 DVD was using ISOBuster, then UltraISO. I thought the problem was caused during extraction. Not so. If I was able to install to two separate machines using the same data without errors, then how could the same data on a DVD fail?

None-the-less, after making 4 new beautiful coasters, my next attempt will be makeing two separate DVD's

1) the first DVD will be labeled DVD1 (which is the MSDN directory)
    2) the seconde DVD will be labeled DVD2 (which is the vs directory)

Stay tuned....

(by the way, I used to prefer ISOBuster, but I must say that UltraISO is very easy to use with a rich UI)

Kind regards,
    Greg Cadmes
    MCP Extron Electronics

Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:31 PM
  • Dear Friends,

I Faced the same problem, and i tried the approach of copying the DVD to the Harddrive and tried the setup and it was smooth and completed 100% without a jerk.

i guess this could help someone still having the problem.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 6:59 AM
  • The problem is when I (and everybody) try to install VS2005 this problem happens. The thing is when you unpack the .iso file you get a folder named "VS" and not "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU" where the HTMLLITE.DLL file is in. The installatin bootstrap looks for the "Microsoft Visual....." folder and not the "VS"

Can I rename this folder to "Microsoft Visual..." or what?

Thanks

Graydemon

Friday, February 24, 2006 4:39 AM
  • T H E   E R R O R   I S :

Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Developer 2003 Setup
    Please insert the disk: Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Developer 2003 - English Disk 1

OR

Please insert the disk: Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect  2003 - English Disk 1
    OK   Cancel  

THE PROBLEM IS...invalid label name of your cd/dvd !!

HOW TO:
    1 Make an image of your cd/dvd (ISO file)
    2 Save that image on the disk
    3 Edit the label name of the CD so it is equivalent
    to the names related down

(have to download "Deep burner" or "Magic Iso" to do name
    changing of compilation and then make a "save as..ISO file")

(*)
    -CDS INSTALATION-

CD NAMES: VSENTD1,VSENTD2,...

FOR Visual Studio.NET 2005 /2003 ARQUITECH DEVELOPER
    CD NAMES: VSENARD1,VSENARD2,...

-DVD INSTALATION-
    DVD LABEL NAME : VSENTD1

FOR Visual Studio.NET 2005 /2003 ENTERPRISE ARCHITECT
    DVD LABEL NAME: VSENARD1

-------------------------------------------------------

note:
    FOR UPDATE COMPONENTS CD , YOU DONT NEED TO HAVE AN
    APROPRIATE LABEL NAME !

----t h a t ' s  all  folks! ENJOYYYYYYYYY---------

Monday, February 27, 2006 5:25 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem. I think the error occurred while burning the cd-rom. I got a message saying that there where directory that did not met the ISO9660 standard because the pathnames contain more than ...(?) characters.
    Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:15 PM
  • I agree that is the labels, but for VS 2k5 Team Edition Soft Dev this label doesn't work.  Any suggestion ???
    Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:24 PM
  • Hello.

I expected the same problem.
    I solved it that way:

1. share your CD/DVD drive.
    2. net use <some_drive> \\<your_computer_name\<cdrom_share> (ex: net use k: \\desktop\cdrom)
    3. install VS from mapped drive.

This works for me.

Best regards.
    Monday, March 20, 2006 3:17 PM
  • I too, have VS 2k5 Team Edition. 

I tried renaming DVD to VSENTD1 and VSENARD1... still no go.  Then I tried renaming it to DVD1.  This worked! 

If you can't, or don't want to rename your DVD, copying all DVD contents to a folder on your hard drive, and installing from there worked for me too.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:42 PM
  • Hello folks.. this is the situation:

for CD's  Enterprise 2003 and Enterpise Architect: 2003: VSENARD1..2...3

DVD: DVD1

Professional 2005, Team Edition 2005 CDs: VSVSTDD1 ... 2...3...

DVD: DVD1

That's all

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:50 PM
  • The solution to this problem is this:

1. Make a simple program that copies the data in both the DVDs together as a whole on to your hard drive.

2. Then install it by running the setup from there.

3. Walla'h, job done.

Up, up, and away......

Monday, April 10, 2006 4:43 PM
  • I copied the DVD content to my hard disk to a folder named DVD1 and the error message disappeared!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

-Moumen

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 1:15 PM
  • I copied the DVD and set the label name for "DVD1"  and then worked.

I thank so much the sugestions of everybody.

Ismael Colorado
    Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:08 PM
  • I downloaded Visual studio 2005 from our MSDN subcriptions site, the following archives were downloaded:

i) SW CD Visual Studio Pro 2005 W32 English Pro Core CD 1 MLF.exe

ii) SW CD Visual Studio Pro 2005 W32 English #2.exe

SW CD SQL Svr Developer Edtn 2005 W32 X64 IA64 English #2 x64 MLF.exe

SW CD SQL Svr Developer Edtn 2005 W32 X64 IA64 English #2 IA 64 MLF.exe

SW CD SQL Svr Developer Edtn 2005 W32 X64 IA64 English #2 32 bit MLF.exe

SW CD SQL Svr Developer Edtn 2005 W32 X64 IA64 English #1 x64 MLF.exe

SW CD SQL Svr Developer Edtn 2005 W32 X64 IA64 English #1 IA 64 MLF.exe

SW CD SQL Svr Developer Edtn 2005 W32 X64 IA64 English #1 32 bit MLF.exe

SW CD NTRL Visual Studio 2005 W32 English #3 MSDN Library.exe

SW CD NTRL Visual Studio 2005 W32 English #2 MSDN Library.exe

SW CD NTRL Visual Studio 2005 W32 English #1 MSDN Library.exe

double clicking these archives will return a message about permissions, however opening them directly from winzip/winrar seems to work okay. I also received the message about needing ENU disk 1. Strangely enough I installed from these archive previously on another laptop with no problem.

The eventual solution was to extract archive i) ii) to seperate directories and then cut-and-paste the folders together to form a master directory. So for example both archives contain a 'Program Files' directory, you have to ensure that the sub directories of each are in the final structure.

I then copied the contents of the archive to the folder C:\DVD1. So the setup file should be in c:\DVD1\setup.exe.

you'll notice that setup seems to loose your stored key when running from this folder so you might want to make a note of it before moving files to this location.

Other then that it all seems to run fine.

• Proposed as answer by K2theBee Friday, February 13, 2009 5:04 AM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:40 AM
  • OK... I had tried everything... (to install the PRO edition of Visual Studio 2005)... created the ISO and named it DVD1 using MagicISO.  Then I mounted it into DaemonTools... but it continued giving me problems.

It worked when I finally followed the step of copying the dvd to C:\DVD1.   Note: mounting the dvd usually places the image on something other than 'C'.  I guess that was the difference.

Whew.. that was a big waste of time!!!  but at least it's up now.

Hope this helps someone.
    -B

Friday, August 25, 2006 3:48 AM
  • I have the same problem with VS2005 Pro. I created the DVD as described in VS/readme.htm. During the installation it asks for ENU Disk 1. Changing the DVD volume label to DVD1 doesn't help. When I change the label to VSPROD1 the installation process goes longer, but then asks for ENU Disk 2. What is the disk label to use for DVD installation?

The trick with mapping the DVD as a network drive works on Win2000, but not on Vista x64 (Beta version). Vista says: "Error performing inpage operation" when I try to run setup.exe. The only method that works on Vista is to copy everything to the hard disk before installing.

It appears from this thread that the problem has existed for several years. Why has it not been fixed or at least documented??????????????

They have made a system that keeps track of every installation process and sends a feedback to MS about any installation problems. The alleged purpose of this feedback system is to fix problems. MS must have got many automatic reports of this problem. Obviously, they have not used the feedback system for the promised purpose )-:

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 10:50 AM
  • I had same problem and I solve it sharing my dvd and run setup.exe from this location.

Thank you for this idea

Monday, November 27, 2006 2:07 AM
  •  Moumen ITDev wrote:

I copied the DVD content to my hard disk to a folder named DVD1 and the error message disappeared!

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!

-Moumen

great! thanks this works
    Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:55 AM
  • H ad the same error, was installing from usb stick. Solved it easily by going to My Computer, changing the LABEL of the j:\ from KINGSTON to VSPROD1, and hit continue, and later on to VSPROD2 etc...

Error was clearly described in the error log file in temp dir :)
    Wednesday, January 03, 2007 9:33 PM
  • It's worked
    Monday, January 08, 2007 6:27 AM
  • That's fine, but does anyone know the CD Label for the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional Edition disc? I see the Architeque and Enterprise edition noted, but not the Professional Edition. Thanks!
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:15 PM
  •  pogar wrote:
    Hello.

I expected the same problem.
    I solved it that way:

1. share your CD/DVD drive.
    2. net use <some_drive> \\<your_computer_name\<cdrom_share> (ex: net use k: \\desktop\cdrom)
    3. install VS from mapped drive.

This works for me.

Best regards.

This worked for me with the en_vs_2005_pro_dvd.iso.

My steps were equivalent:

1) Share the dvd drive in Windows Explorer

2) on the address bar type \\<my_computer_name> to verify share, right-click->map network drive

3) on mapped drive, navigate to <some_drive_letter>:\vs, double click "autorun.exe"

Friday, February 23, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Hi Everybody....i have a problem with my Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 that i would like to know the answer as soon as possible......I Just got the VS. 2005    it's an ISO File that contains 2 folders the first (msdn) & the second (vs) and 2 files the first (autorun.inf) & the second (readme.html) what i did is i mounted the ISO with UltraIso to a drive then i started the installation while it was going it stopped at a .dll file the name of the file is at the first post of this thread so i tried something else i burnt it to an image to a DVD Disc then i tried to install again but still the same problem so please i would like a STEP BY STEP Answer that would help me a lot.............<THNX>............Help will be so MUCH appreciated
    Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:02 PM
  • If installing from the CD, you get this message early on in the install:

"Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005 Professional - ENU Disk 1"

cancel the installation and copy the contents of BOTH CDs to a single folder & run the install from your hard drive.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:33 PM
  • That's fine, but does anyone know the CD Label for the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional Edition disc? I see the Architeque and Enterprise edition noted, but not the Professional Edition. Thanks!
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:50 PM
  • I am just installing from the original DVD (MSDN subscription!) and I have same problem!

Folders on the DVD are DISK1 and DISK2, I made 2 CDs with labels DISK1 and DISK2 but

it does not work ??!

Thursday, May 03, 2007 1:20 PM
  • Hi Friends:

I  tried all the methods which is specified by this forum. Nothing work. I had burned fresh DVD with name DVD1 and DVD2 etc. It did not work. I copied all files into hard disk and tried to install there. Nothing work. Can some one help me ?

I am getting the following message.  'Error 1311 source file not found _3_RTL_x86_enu_Core_IDE.cab'

Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:39 PM

• When installing VS2005 from the April 2007 MSDN DVD
    :

The problem is that the installer files contain incorrect information (QA somebody?) and the solution is in the installation log file located at C:\Documents_and_Settings\<User_name>\Local_Settings\Temp\VSMsilog0179.txt.  For htmllite.dll the file has to be located on a disk named PROD1 but the MSDN disk is labeled VSTUDIO05_3070.1.  The installer will later look for the file _3_RTL_386_enu_Core_IDE.cab and the error message lists the directory (for VS2005 Pro) \english\vs2005pro\disk1\_3_RTL_386_enu_Core_IDE.cab but the file is actually located in the disk2 subfolder (a lot of other files mislabeled as well).  While you can share the DVD as PROD1 and remap the drive to get around the first problem, the second problem makes it impossible to install from the DVD!

Solution:
    1. In a \Temp folder create the directory structure \English\VS2005Pro
    2. From the MSDN DVD copy the \DISK1 and \DISK2 subfolders to the VS2005Pro folder you just created.
    3. Copy _3_RTL_x86_enu_Core_IDE.cab from \DISK2 to \DISK1.
      OK, skip that step.  After finding at least 10 files in the wrong directory, I gave up and just copied ALL of the .cab files in \DISK2 to \DISK1.
    4. Copy the folder \DISK2\Program_files\Microsoft_Visual_Studio_8\SDK\v2.0\GuiDebug to \DISK1\Program_files\Microsoft_Visual_Studio_8\SDK\v2.0
    5. Copy the folder \DISK2\wcu\JSharpRedistCore to \DISK1\wcu
    6. Copy the folder \DISK2\wcu\SSE to \DISK1\wcu (required for SQL Server Express installation).
    7. Share the \Temp folder with the share name PROD1
    8. Create a drive map from any free drive letter to the share created in step 3 (ex. map Z: to \\<User_name>\PROD1).
    9. Navigate to the new drive map via Explorer and run AUTORUN.EXE from the \DISK1 folder
    10. Installation should go normally now.
    11. Reboot and you should be prompted to install the MSDN Library.  Despite the DVD being labeled with "MSDN Libary for Visual Studio 2005" (Disk 3070.1 April 2007) I could not find the library files on the DVD.  Get the latest MSDN Subscriptions Library disk (I used December 2006) and browse to your DVD, or cheque the MSDN downloads.
    12. Install VS2005 Service Pack 1.
    13. Run Windows Update and check for additional updates (non-critical).
    14. After installation is complete, don't forget to remove the drive mapping, unshare the folder and delete the installation files.
    Took me half a day of monkeying around but hopefully I managed to save somebody some time with the above.  I hope they fix this with the next DVD release.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:35 PM
  • in my case this was a problem with my user account not having administrator privleges.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:41 PM
  • I followed the thread and thought to share my solution to the problem. I was getting the following message

"Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005 Professional - ENU Disk 1"

I had the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition on TWO CDs and faced the same issue.

I tried a few times but it stuck on asking for the htmllite.dll file while this file was on the CD.

If you are facing any problem while installing the Visual Studio from the CDs then you probably would need an ISO Image of the same CDs.

You can create the ISO images of both the CDs using POWERISO www.poweriso.com/ and save them on the Harddisk. If you already have ISO image of those CDs then make sure that

• CD1 must have the Volume label as VSPROD1. It doesn't matter what the name of the actual ISO file is. You can rename the Volume label using the powerISO software (I had VSPROD1.iso PowerISO File 612,150 KB)
    • CD2 must have the Volume label VSPROD2 (I had VSPROD2.iso PowerISO File 614,716 KB).

Once you have done so, mount the first CD using the Right Click menu in the Explorer on the first CD's .iso file and run the setup on that CD. Mount the other .iso file when prompted.

I hope this will help installing the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition that comes on TWO CDs.

Best regards,

Abdul Rehman

Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Friday, June 22, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Hello,

i think i found the solution

try to install it from the network , for example //yourpc/vs2005/vs/autorun.exe even if you used you pc .

it wroking with me

Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Another solution -- go find the December 2006 Disc 3070 and use it, since you still have to separately install SP1 (and Vista update). 

2 questions for Microsoft -- how can you release this without testing to see if it actually works?  and why don't you send out something admitting there's a problem, to help us avoid wasting hours of time on something that's already known?

Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I'll second Langhorne's two questions to Microsoft.  I just spent two days trying to install from the April 2007 DVD because my original installation lost its ability to recognize Addins.  Figuring that the newest setup I have would be the best chance at restoring functionality, I went with it.  I was mighty suspicious of the Disk1/Disk2 folder structure from the start, but what the heck -- Microsoft tests these things before shipping.  How wrong was I?  I understand MSDN production is a complex process, but given the power of .Net, Visual Studio Team Suite, and decades of experience, I would expect Microsoft to have this under control and certainly to understand the importance of testing -- especially given the simplicity of this fatal flaw.

I do have some questions now that I've said my piece: 

• Is there any benefit to going through the 14-step program from Tank252ca or should I just go with the Langhorne's "use the old DVD"? 
    • Is that old DVD really a "December 2006" (which I don't have) or the "December 2005" that I do have?
    • Should I take the SP1 from the June 2007 or April 2007 DVDs?  Or does it not matter?
    • Is there some source of information that lets one know if these different installations are functionally different or the same exact thing simply repackaged?  I'm not just referring to VS 2005 for this question, but across the entire MDSN disk set.

Unless someone says otherwise, I think I'll try eng_mh1980's full URL trick first though...

Thanks,

Steve

Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:10 PM
    • Is there any benefit to going through the 14-step program from Tank252ca or should I just go with the Langhorne's "use the old DVD"?
    No, I just posted those instructions for people that only had the April 2007 DVD and didn't want to download the whole package.
    • Is that old DVD really a "December 2006" (which I don't have) or the "December 2005" that I do have?
    Mine is labeled December 2005. Guess I should have used that one instead of the April 2007 disk and saved myself a lot of trouble <g>. If you originally installed from the Dec 2005 DVD and are reinstalling to fix something, I would use the same the disk again.
    • Should I take the SP1 from the June 2007 or April 2007 DVDs? Or does it not matter?
    Shouldn't matter unless you're running Vista since the June disk also has the Vista update, but the original service pack should be the same on both DVDs.
    • Is there some source of information that lets one know if these different installations are functionally different or the same exact thing simply repackaged? I'm not just referring to VS 2005 for this question, but across the entire MDSN disk set.
    None that I've ever come across on the MSDN web site, but it wouldn't make sense to have functionally different installations because that would mess up future service packs. Once SP1 is applied it shouldn't matter which disk you started from.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 3:28 PM
  • For VS 2005 Team Suite, just rename the DVD to "DVD1", and everything works!

Thank you all for your solutions!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:34 PM
  •  

hi,

While Installing VS 2005  keeps on asking  ' Please insert the disk: Visual studio 2005'

and staying installation at htmllite.dll

I tried a lot  copied the file from the dvd to the folder.Stillgiving the error: ' Please insert the disk DVD'

I am tired to this can anyone suugest me the solution.

I used all practices given in the forum but still facing the problem.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Thanks,

M.P.Rodge

Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Thank you!!!!

Worked a charm

Amazing how a &*%$$ M$ program hates installing on an M$ OS, isn't it??

LM321 wrote:

I too, have VS 2k5 Team Edition. 

I tried renaming DVD to VSENTD1 and VSENARD1... still no go.  Then I tried renaming it to DVD1.  This worked! 

If you can't, or don't want to rename your DVD, copying all DVD contents to a folder on your hard drive, and installing from there worked for me too.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 1:52 PM
  • If the prompt you see is:

"Please insert the disc: Visual Studio 2005 DVD"

then the workaround to get VS installed is to copy the entire VS folder to your hard drive and run setup.exe from there.  Another option is to copy the DVD and burn it to another DVD and make sure the new DVD is called "DVD1".

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:04 PM
  • No need to copy entire dvd to hard disk, reburn it or use network share.

Just map the dvd drive to an empty hard disk folder via Disk Management MMC and run the installation from the mapped folder.
    Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the excellent tutorial! But how is it that I was able to install VS2005 Pro from my MSDN DVD and when I was installing it in another PC I got the infamous "Insert DVD" problem when the installer transfers htmllite.dll.

Whats going on here?!??

Monday, October 01, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Hey, thank you so much for this tip, its worked for me also. Im also installing from a USB Stick and spent hours trying to get this to work and couldnt. I tried you're tip and its worked like a dream. Thanks again.

Rob.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 11:31 PM
  • I was having all the same problems as everyone else.

This almost worked for me, but I seem to be missing the _15225...cab and I can't find it anywhere on any of my disks.

I am installing this on Vista 32-bit Ultimate.

Anyone come across that or have a fix for it?

Friday, November 09, 2007 5:38 PM
  • Saturday, December 15, 2007 8:30 PM
  •  

Another solution is to extract both the downloaded Visual Studio CDs 1 & 2 into a common folder and then run from the hard drive. This works.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:05 PM
  • I second Asuri's suggestion - combine the two disks into one folder and install from the hard drive.

What joke!
    Saturday, February 02, 2008 11:01 AM
  •  Kal-El wrote:

The solution to this problem is this:

1. Make a simple program that copies the data in both the DVDs together as a whole on to your hard drive.

2. Then install it by running the setup from there.

3. Walla'h, job done.

Up, up, and away......

wow..it really worked with me..and i didn't see that annoying msg anymore......

Thanx alot........

Saturday, March 08, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I put everything in "C:\DVD1" and ran setup.exe from the "setup" directory and it surprisingly worked. I also had un-installed MSDN.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:33 PM

•  Mufaddal wrote:

Dear Friends,

I Faced the same problem, and i tried the approach of copying the DVD to the Harddrive and tried the setup and it was smooth and completed 100% without a jerk.

i guess this could help someone still having the problem.

This is the way to go. Worked for me at least. Why bother with the ISO and mounting?

(sharing the DVD drive and mounting to it also seems like an easy way to go also.)
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Thanks for the tips.   I've solved the problem by copying every files from folders Disk1 and Disk2 on my hard disk, in the same folder.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Yep he's the man, Virtual CD work great.  I haven't used virutal CD, though I know they are very helpfull for Video hacking the CD requirements. 

It was funny when I inserted an ISO file into my CD ROM player.  LOL.  I guess it just looked funny.  I need to insert a virtual cup of coffee into my stomach now...

Ok the id to merge the Folders is better...

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:35 PM
  • This was the most helpful description of the solution for me.  No software to download/install/buy(!) and no tracking down and burning to blank media. 

Given this solution, I can offer some clarifications:  (I am installing Visual Studio 2005 Professional)

As recommended, I copied the DVD directory structure to my hard drive and merged files across both \English\VS2005Pro\Disk1 and \English\VS2005Pro\Disk2 directory structures into C:\DVD1.  Some files were duplicates so I just accepted the overwrite.  One file, setup.sdb, a setup configuration file, varied between the two directories.  Turns out the one in Disk1 was a superset of that in Disk2 so I kept the one in Disk1.  Finally, just to clarify, setup.exe ended up as C:\DVD1\Setup\setup.exe (not C:\DVD1\setup.exe).

So big "thanks!!" to AftabQ and big "what the #$3LL??!" to Microsoft.  As someone else noted, how can it be after all this time that Microsoft has not addressed, in *some* way, this basic install issue?"

Thanks to all who took the time to share their solutions here.

NatureServe
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:18 AM
  • None of the suggestions above worked for me so I looked in the error log file and found this helpful information:

MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:30:17:671]: File: D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Setup\Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU\htmllite.dll; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
    MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:30:17:671]: Source for file 'htmllite_dll_11_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8' is compressed
    MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:30:17:687]: Source is incorrect. Volume label should be VSPROD1 but is .
    MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:30:29:031]: Source is incorrect. Volume label should be VSPROD1 but is .
    MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:33:15:984]: Source is incorrect. Volume label should be VSPROD1 but is .
    MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:33:38:890]: Source is incorrect. Volume label should be VSPROD1 but is .
    MSI (s) (28:1C) [19:36:39:984]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

the log file is in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Temp\VSMsiLog5A39.txt

I copied everything from \DISK1 and \DISK2 directories into the root dir of my thumbdrive and changed the label to VSPROD1

half way through the install i had to relabel it to VSPROD2

but it is installing now
    Wednesday, March 04, 2009 2:16 AM
  • I also have this problem when installing vs2005 pro
    Like Mr. MichaelKosak statement, we need to change the label of drive to VSPROD1 (in my case).
    So, this is what i did when the "Please insert ..." statement started :
    1. When the "Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005 Professional - ENU Disk 1" came out, i changed the label drive to VSPROD1
    2. It works and the installation continue again.
    3. When "Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005 Professional - ENU Disk 2" came out, i changed the label drive to VSPROD2
    4. And the installation complete successfully.

Fyi : the installation source in the folder named DVD1 <-- i think it doesn't matter what's the name :).

This works for me :)

regards,
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Final Solution

first DVD contain disk 1 and disk 2

copy disk 1 on your hard disk

copy disk 2 on the same directory (disk 1) and overwrite existing files (All Visual Studio Files be on one Folder)

Start setup normally you may have problem the product key not exist when instaling to solve this problem you can obtain the product key from install Visual Studio 2005 from DVD once you have the product key cancel this installation then start instaling from the folder on your hard disk and add the product key and enjoy Visual Studio 2005

Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Hi,
    I think if you copied all data to your hard drive ,the label for specified drive shoul be "VS2005" and vs and msdn folder should be on root drive
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 7:37 AM
  • The installation process for Visual Studio 2005 prompts ' Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005' everytime when I try to install VS2005.

This is what I did:

* Downloaded VS 2005 from the MSDN members download site.
       File name: en_vs_2005_pro_dvd.iso (size=2,825,748 KB)

* Used MagicISO tool to unpack the files

* Used Nero 6 to write the extracted files to the DVD

* Created a brand new Virtual PC with Windows XP + SP2

* Start the install process in the VPC by clicking on the setup.exe
       in \vs on the dvd

* Select the default installation options

* Installation starts for a long time and then prompts:
       Please insert the disk: Visual Studio 2005'

The screen show:

Installing Components: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
       Directory:                  Visual Studio 2005 Professional edition - ENU\
       File:                          htmllite.dll

What am I doing wrong? I have retried the process 3 times with the same results.

Regards,
    Joginder Nahil
    www.starprint2000.com

Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:10 AM
  • this worked for me:

1) Share DVD drive. I shared as "myDVD"

2) go to Windows Explorer and connect to \\localhost\myDVD

3) run setup.exe

Thursday, March 03, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Or use this batch script to resolve the problem:

echo off
    rem ; This script is intended to fix the htmllite.dll error while installing from Disc 3070.1, April 2007
    rem ; The setup keeps asking for the first install dvd which is found by identifying the volume label of the DVD
    rem ; This script needs the folder English, or other language, available on the harddisk. Put the loader in the folder on the HD so the SUBDIR VS2005Pro is reachable.
    rem ; The script renames the label of the harddisk to match the installer DVD's label, the original label name is stored before the rename in the file loader_org.txt
    cls
    if exist X: echo WARNiNG X: Already exists, press any key to overwrite!
    pause>nul
    if exist Y: echo WARNiNG Y: Already exists, press any key to overwrite!
    pause>nul
    if exist X: subst X: /D
    if exist Y: subst Y: /D
    vol C: >>loader_org.txt
    color 0a
    cd VS2005Pro
    cd disk1
    subst X: .
    cd..
    cd disk2
    subst Y: .
    cd..
    C:
    label C: VSENTD1
    X:
    echo off
    echo.
    echo ####################################
    echo ## Don't shut this windows yet ##
    echo ## until after the setup is done ##
    echo ####################################
    vol X:
    echo ###########################
    echo ## When setup asks for : #############
    echo ## _15780_RTL_x86_enu_NETCF_v2.0.cab ##
    echo ## Press any key to change to disk2 ##
    echo #######################################
    echo.
    setup.exe
    pause
    Y:
    subst X: /D
    subst X: .
    label C: VSENTD2
    echo.
    echo #################################
    echo ## Changed to disk 2 of VS2005 ##
    vol Y:
    echo ## Hit any key to terminate ##
    echo.
    pause

in this example, the VS2005 3070.1 April 2007 is being fixed.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:05 PM