none
Are you a technology guru? Show us your solutions and become the Microsoft Visual Basic Guru for June 2013!!

General discussion

• TechNet Wiki is looking for and celebrating the best of the best!

Is that you? Do you consider yourself an expert, or authority on VB?

Show us your forum solutions and become MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY GURU OF THE MONTH!

This is an official Microsoft TechNet recognition program, where people such as yourselves can get the recognition you deserve, for the time you've given the community.

If you spend any amount of time crafting an awesome answer to a forum question, then why not get the most back for your efforts, by posting it to TechNet Wiki.

1) Please copy over any solutions you post here to TechNet Wiki.

2) Add a link to it on THE JUNE TECHNET GURU WIKI PAGE, so we know you've contributed

3) Every month, we will highlight your contributions, and select a "Guru of the Month" in each technology.

This is a new initiative, currently only rewarding "textually" in the TechNet blogs, similar to Peter Laker's weekly contributor awards. Once you're "on our radar" and making your mark, you will probably be interviewed for your greatness, and eventually even invited into other TechNet/MSDN circles!

Either way, winning this award in your favored technology can only be good for your career! ;)

All you need to do is find any forum question you have ever answered in this forum (either with a blog post or in the forum thread). Then turn it into a Wiki article in June 2013, and add it to the list on the June TechNet Guru Wiki page! For the May contributions, see TechNet Guru Contributions - May.

For more information on the benefits, recognition points, and glory of posting to TechNet Wiki, please read this sticky note.

Feel free to ask any questions below.

Thanks in advance!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, June 02, 2013 11:25 PM

All replies

• Come on folks!  The month will be over soon and I know there are others who could help this program along.

Frank, you could talk about LINQ or XML focusing on a common problem you've handled many times before.

CrazyP, we all know you're sitting on some wondrous trinkets of coding delight, any number of which could make a good article.

JohnW could do an article on interrogating an image file at the byte level; I know that comes up again and again over time.

That's just three people who I can think to call out off the top of my head.  =P  I know it can be a matter of having the time, but I'd really like to see more contributions from our community posting articles because I know there are many capable contributors here and this program will need support if it is going to continue.  :)

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Thursday, June 20, 2013 10:10 PM
  •   Really sorry Reed, but it will have to wait.

I am incredibly busy right now, and too tire after work to really write something.

As You may know, I am project manager, and I am actually working a new project. It is a project really not easy, with a lot of difficult problems to solve. And it is also quite big, over $10,000,000 in budget.

This is why, except for answering 5 or 6 easy questions and bitching a bit yesterday about the new forum UX I haven't done nothing since a month here.

-- I still read every day all the threads-of-the-day :)

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Come on folks!  The month will be over soon and I know there are others who could help this program along.

Frank, you could talk about LINQ or XML focusing on a common problem you've handled many times before.

CrazyP, we all know you're sitting on some wondrous trinkets of coding delight, any number of which could make a good article.

JohnW could do an article on interrogating an image file at the byte level; I know that comes up again and again over time.

That's just three people who I can think to call out off the top of my head.  =P  I know it can be a matter of having the time, but I'd really like to see more contributions from our community posting articles because I know there are many capable contributors here and this program will need support if it is going to continue.  :)

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

I'm hardly in the same league with you, Luc, or John.

Thank you for thinking of me though! :)

Please call me Frank :)

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:13 AM
  • Reed submitted our first VB article!

How to Communicate with a Microcontroller or Other Serial Device in VB.Net by Reed Kimble

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:46 AM
  • Here's my contribution for june :), maybe I'll do another one too...

Bitmap.Lockbits De-Mystified .Net

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:14 AM
  •   This look good, but if I may,

This could be added to what you have written.

Marshal.Copy is a relatively expensive method. It is often better to access the bitmap memory directly instead of copying the data to an array, and then copying it back to the bitmap

When the number of pixels to set is small relatively to the size of the bitmap, (may be 10% or less) using Marshal.WriteInt32 gets much faster

Dim BMP As New Bitmap(Me.ClientRectangle.Width, Me.ClientRectangle.Height)
            Dim bmData As System.Drawing.Imaging.BitmapData = BMP.LockBits(New Rectangle(0, 0, BMP.Width, BMP.Height), Imaging.ImageLockMode.ReadWrite, BMP.PixelFormat)
            Dim offsetToFirstPixel As IntPtr = bmData.Scan0

'draw a vertical black line
            Dim X As Integer = 5
            For Y As Integer = 8 To 100
                Marshal.WriteInt32(offsetToFirstPixel + (Y * BMP.Width * 4) + (X * 4), &HFF000000)
            Next

BMP.UnlockBits(bmData)
            Me.BackgroundImage = BMP

• Edited by Crazypennie Monday, June 24, 2013 5:23 PM 12345
    Monday, June 24, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Thanks luc, I'll check it out :)

“If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.”

Don't forget to mark helpful posts and answers ! Answer an interesting question? Write a new article about it! My Articles
    *This post does not reflect the opinion of Microsoft, or its employees.

Monday, June 24, 2013 5:22 PM