none
What is the difference between the remote debugging service and the monitor?

Question

• Hi,

I was really confused about why I couldn't attach to a remote process in Visual Studio 2010. I followed the documentation and ran rdbgsetup_x64.exe on the remote machine. I went through the wizard and the debugging service was setup correctly. After I restarted I double checked to make sure it was started. It was started but I could not connect from Visual Studio 2010 on my development machine.

I became even more confused when I saw that the debugging service was called msvsmon100 and yet http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bt727f1t.aspx states that the remote debugging monitor is called msvsmon.exe. Going from this information I thought that the service and the monitor were the same thing. The documentation fails to make a clear distinction between the two, and the ambiguous service name is just silly.

Finally I figured out that the msvsmon100 service was actually rdbgservice.exe with a different name. I knew that the monitor always referred to msvsmon.exe so now I finally figured out that there was both a service and a monitor. When I ran the monitor I could connect to it and debug perfectly.

Now that I look back at Visual Studio 2010 in the Attach to Process dialog, with the Transport set to Default, the information does state that the monitor (msvsmon.exe) must be running. Only now that I realise that that is not the service it makes a lot more sense why I couldn't connect.

Here are my questions:

• Why does the debugging service have a service name of msvsmon100 when rdbgservice would be soooo much clearer?
    • Why doesn't the documentation make it stupidly obvious that there are two different ways of setting up the remote machine (service or monitor)?
    • If "Attach to Process" only works when the monitor is running, how the heck to you connect to the service?

Cheers,

Jason

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:02 AM

All replies

• Remote Debugging Monitor can be configured as a Windows service (called Remote Debugger Service), which provides a more convenient way for debugging asp.net applications that locate on a server environment.

I’m not sure why the Remote Debugger Service was not given a different name, but if you have any suggestions to Microsoft's products, you may send this issue to Microsoft via https://connect.microsoft.com, the feedback will be routed to the product unit who works on this specific feature area for triage and resolution.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:35 PM
  • So is the Remote Debugging Service only for ASP.Net?

I got the impression that it was like you said, the same as the monitor only running as a service, but for remote debugging all Visual Studio project types. The monitor is appropriate for my case I just found it a bit misleading.

I want to make sure I understand the full story before I make any recommendations.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:41 PM
  • The difference is running the remote debugger as a service barely works.

Eric, are you suggesting that if you run it as a service you can only debug asp.net apps?

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:10 PM