none
Visual Studio 2008 Missing Templates

Question

• I'm having problems getting Visual Studio 2008 to load/make available templates.  I've scanned the net looking at all threads and other developer solutions but none have worked and now getting to the point of what to do next.

I've tried
    - running devenv /installvstemplates
    - running devenv /setup
    - changing the user templates path in project and setings
    - changing the international language settings to my microsoft settings
    - uninstalling VS2008 and re-installing.  Then installing VS 2008 SP1 and just to to make sure repair on .Net 3.5 SP1, then all of the above.

All the Zip files are in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp" and after running devenv /installvstemplates I get ItemTemplatesCache folder withthe items unzipped into respective folders.   But still no luck.

I've checked the settings with my work PC, the template Zip files, locations, all look to be correct.  But no matter what I try, which combination of steps, I can't get the templates to display when adding a new item

Any help greatly appreciated.

Are there any registry settings that I need to check?

Andrew

Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:30 AM

Answers

• Ok found the solution.  Copied the zip files from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp" into the relevant sub-folders

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Windows Forms\1033
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\reporting\1033
    etc....

ran devenv /installvstemplates.   Problem solved.

However, this is a different set-up to my other PC where the template zip files remain in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp" folder and work fine.  But who cares, as lonmg as it's now working.

Andrew.
    • Marked as answer by wattsy01 Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:27 PM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:27 PM

All replies

• Ok found the solution.  Copied the zip files from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp" into the relevant sub-folders

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Windows Forms\1033
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\reporting\1033
    etc....

ran devenv /installvstemplates.   Problem solved.

However, this is a different set-up to my other PC where the template zip files remain in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp" folder and work fine.  But who cares, as lonmg as it's now working.

Andrew.
    • Marked as answer by wattsy01 Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:27 PM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Hi, what is the "relevant sub-folders" ?
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Those templates I wanted to access in the Windows Forms templates I copied the relevant zip file into

report template zip files into

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Reporting

etc...

Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Hi Wattsy01

I got the files installed as per the devenv /installvstemplates but my situation is when I open Visual Studio 2008 and click on File, New Projec  I don't see the templates. I am only seeing my existing BI templates for SSAS, SSIS and SSRS that was installed with my Visual Studio 2008.

I had then installed Visual Basic 2008 to create a seprate install in its own directory with its own templates. However, it was forced to be installed under Visual Studio 2008 that was already in place.

Any idea how to get those tempaltes setup so I can see them in the New Project window would be appreciated?

Thanks

Sal  

Monday, November 01, 2010 10:03 PM
  • same here,  I had no problem about installing SQL Server 2008 but

I didn't see the template when I was creating a new project. pls. help.

My Operating System is Widows Vista Ultimate SP2 X64.

Is this possible to run correctly the SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Setup in my OS?

Please advise,

mobiusdublin@live.com

Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:46 PM